2015 Chevy spark oil change choice

Hello

I've recently purchased a 2015 Chevy spark with the 1.2 liter s-tec motor and am looking for an oil filter recomendation.

I previously had a 2005 Chevy aveo and was running supertech full synthetic 5w-30 or mobil 1 0w-30 with a mobil 1 M1-101A filter. I was doing 7500-10,000 mile intervals with excellent engine wear according to Blackstone lab tests

The oil cap on the Spark's s-tec calls for 5w-20 and I've purchased the 12 qt box of super tech 0w-20

My main question is that there appears to be a limited selection of oil filters for the 2015 spark, both at Auto parts stores and at Rock Auto

I want to get a filter that is as good as the mobil 1 I used previously but the best filter I can find is the wix WL1001

The wix has a silicone drainback valve, but doesn't have a synthetic filter media, it's listed as 'enhanced cellulose', the same as it's entry pro-tech line of filter

Are they're any better filters than the wix? And if I'm running this wix what interval would you recommend. I do about 60/40 highway/city driving and do about 8k-10k a year.

I would run the WIX standard filter and change it annually, it has the capacity. If your Spark is still under warranty and you have service documentation, I would not bother with any short OCI runs (to be sure it's clean before going annual/10k service). What does the owner's manual say for recommended OCI?

Welcome to BITOG!

Doesn't your Spark have an OLM? If so, the Fram, Wix, or any other oil filter should be able to handle the OCI suggested by the computer :)

Probably a blended media … but so is Mobil 1 … that Wix is 21 micron …
Why would that filter not do 7500 miles …?

The OCI listed in the manual is 7500 miles, both for normal service and for severe service.

It does have an oil life monitor, the dealer did an oil change when the vehicle was purchased and i've put 3700 miles so far. The monitor reports 47% oil life left.

If the wix appears to be a quality filter, that'll be the one I'll go with, I wasn't sure how it stacks up but there appears to be a good consensus around it.

I had a 2014 spark. Ran Oe delco filter and synthetic 5w20... 0w20 will be fine.. you can run super tech filter very similar to the delco. I even think the delco has the plastic e-core.

I couldn't find much info on the ac Delco pf68 so I went with the wix, if the Delco is a quality filter it appears to be cheaper than the wix but I'd only consider it if it is of equal or better quality to that wix filter

The OCI listed in the manual is 7500 miles, both for normal service and for severe service.

It does have an oil life monitor, the dealer did an oil change when the vehicle was purchased and i've put 3700 miles so far. The monitor reports 47% oil life left.

If the wix appears to be a quality filter, that'll be the one I'll go with, I wasn't sure how it stacks up but there appears to be a good consensus around it.

That 7500 number in the manual is the max OCI allowed. GM implemented a mileage limit recently for their newest cars of the past few years. They're saying if the oil light doesn't come on after 7500 miles, you still have to change the oil. Most recent GM cars (d1g2-era GM but could be all dexos-era GM cars) limit the OCI to 1 year or 7500 miles. The only exception I know of is the Chevy Volt, which is 2 years max and no mileage limit. The more modern OLM systems will also go to zero immediately if the car overheats.

Older GM cars used to let you go as high as 10k or even 12k, but they can't do this anymore with DI (especially TGDI with a turbo). The DI/GDI engines started to have problems on a longer OCI, and the HFV6 an others have had timing chain problems. The older OLM cars didn't incorporate a mileage counter that the new ones have, and they also lack the timer of modern OLM cars.

Personally, I think your over thinking this -- pair your Super Tech 0W20 with a Super Tech oil filter -- they are rated for 10,000 miles now. Change both when your OLM alerts you too.

Have the super tech and the extra guard gotten that much better recently? I can remember when they were low end filters that would be good for conventional oil at 3-5k intervals, would they have enough durability and efficiency to go for a synthetic oil at higher intervals? You mentioned the super tech is rated for 10k are they that well built these days?

The last OCOD I picked up in a pinch for my wife's car (first OCOD in 15 or 20 years...) had a silicon anti drain back valve, which I don't recall seeing before, and the oil inlet holes were larger than I remembered. Maybe the new owner of Fram is trying to improve things.

Of course the Ultras have been a solid filter for a long time. I had been using the Fram Ultra XG9688 on my Hyundai, but I have not changed the oil yet on my new to me Lincoln.

Have the super tech and the extra guard gotten that much better recently? I can remember when they were low end filters that would be good for conventional oil at 3-5k intervals, would they have enough durability and efficiency to go for a synthetic oil at higher intervals? You mentioned the super tech is rated for 10k are they that well built these days?
I have been using Super Tech Oil filters on and off many of Family & Friends vehicles for years. Usually OCIs are 5-7500 miles and never an issue yet. No strange noises, no leaks.

Got some results from Blackstone on the oil change the dealer performed, looks like the engine is wearing nicely, hoping it stays that way going forward 🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201117-230447.png
    Screenshot_20201117-230447.png
    476.1 KB · Views: 57
The air filter and intake seal is the most important filter on the engine

Back