2015 Audi S3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was glad to see them drop the hatchback body style. I had it as a service loaner twice and it literally felt like a Golf with a different steering wheel. (Golf is a good car, but Audi had no business charging thousands more for it)

That's a beautiful car but I'd have a hard time paying the Audi premium for it over a GTI.

Originally Posted By: dareo
That looks like great fun, but at a high price i expect.

Mid $40K, I'd figure.

But how many other new small upscale and relatively powerful cars are there for less?

Buick Verano 6 speed turbo, about 29k. Not AWD but much cheaper. 45 grand to me is down payment for more real estate, not a vehicle.

But if i was inclined to spend that much money on a motor car i would put it down on a Corvette Stingray and finance the other 7k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: dareo
That looks like great fun, but at a high price i expect.

Mid $40K, I'd figure.

But how many other new small upscale and relatively powerful cars are there for less?

I think they'll shoot for less than that, otherwise it will cost as much as the S4 (starts at $48k).

Originally Posted By: Mykl
There's also the Cadillac ATS, seems a touch less expensive.

To get comparable performance, you'd have to buy the ATS 3.6 which is going to cost around 45K as well. Plus the ATS is larger, heavier, and likely less nimble.

Plus, no manual trans available on the 3.6. I wonder if this S3 will be offered with a stick, States side.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
There's also the Cadillac ATS, seems a touch less expensive.

To get comparable performance, you'd have to buy the ATS 3.6 which is going to cost around 45K as well. Plus the ATS is larger, heavier, and likely less nimble.

Plus, no manual trans available on the 3.6. I wonder if this S3 will be offered with a stick, States side.

I wasn't going for performance parity. I was going for "new small upscale and relatively powerful car for less."

Depending what Acura does with the upcoming TLX I may be looking at the A3/S3 when my TSX lease is up next year, it looks like a nice package (depending on price).

I wonder if this S3 will be offered with a stick, States side.

I think it will. Audi offers the S4 with a manual trans here, and the same motor is offered with a 6MT in other VAG vehicles.

My 2007 Audi A3 3.2 with PDK is the single best car I have ever owned…FAst, comfortable, and hugely reliable…I will be sad when and if it ever wears out! Although I may be tempted by this one come August of 2014!

Originally Posted By: dparm

I wonder if this S3 will be offered with a stick, States side.

I think it will. Audi offers the S4 with a manual trans here, and the same motor is offered with a 6MT in other VAG vehicles.

The S3 would be sweet with a real manual.

Do you think there will be an RS3 version??

What is the most reliable power the aftermarket has been able to pull out of those 4 pot, boosted, DI VAG lumps?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
What is the most reliable power the aftermarket has been able to pull out of those 4 pot, boosted, DI VAG lumps?
21.gif

Somewhere around 350, maybe just a touch more. But that's with the most powerful variant from the start (currently the Golf R) running upgraded software, intake, exhaust (with catalyst), and fuel pump. This is all dummy-proof stuff, and these engines can handle it. The most you're likely to worry about is the stock clutch not holding up. My benchmark here is APR.

The next step after that is upgrading the turbo, and while most don't have issues with reliability with an upgraded turbo if they follow the well documented path, from my observations that's where things typically will start to go wrong.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Odds are it will be heavy for its size based on Quattro history.

The Edmunds piece I linked to above reported 3,152 lbs. That's about 350 lb less than the CLA45 AMG. But I'd expect the CLA45 to still be a touch quicker.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-audi-s3-quattro-first-drive-review

Looks terrific on paper, at the time I read about it the curb weight was not yet released by Audi. Odds are it will be heavy for its size based on Quattro history.

And about 300 hp is the limit for reliability. Just depends what reliability means to you...

If the facts in this article are accurate, this engine will have both port and direct injection, a first for Audi I believe. It also states that the only gearbox will be the 6-speen S-Tronic.

It also says that the injection system will put a couple of drops of fuel in the exhaust valve tract to get that popping effect on downshifts. Isn't that a bit "ricer"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back