2014 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon w/ TDI & manual trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A co-worker had a moment of weakness over the holidays, and bought a silver 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon... with the TDI diesel engine AND a manual transmission.

He knew what he exactly wanted... buying a vehicle equipped like that is *not* an accident.
thankyou2.gif

He said that when he looked through the window and saw that it was a manual... it was all over.

He traded in a 2002 Intrepid with a 2.7 liter V6. I'd say that he had suffered plenty long enough.
09.gif

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
A co-worker had a moment of weakness over the holidays, and bought a silver 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon... with the TDI diesel engine AND a manual transmission.

He knew what he exactly wanted... buying a vehicle equipped like that is *not* an accident.
thankyou2.gif

He said that when he looked through the window and saw that it was a manual... it was all over.

He traded in a 2002 Intrepid with a 2.7 liter V6. I'd say that he had suffered plenty long enough.
09.gif

When I was in PA last year on vacation, the lady my mom and I were staying with had one. I was impressed with the car, mostly because I didn't think you could get it. Very nice car.

My aunt bought a 2013 TDI Beetle 2 months ago, those motors have so much torque and power, it's amazing. It really scoots!

I haven't driven the new ones, only ever drove the one I bought; but it's a nice setup. With the mods I have currently I think I can keep up with new ones, on acceleration and certainly mpg's; but they undoubtably are nicer all around.

Too bad diesel is 70 cents more per gallon - in Florida anyway. Compared to a gas car that gets 30mpg, the diesel would have to get nearly 40mpg in order to reach break even.

You're buying the diesel car for enjoyment / novelty, not for lower cost of ownership.

(not that the previous posters in the thread suggested otherwise)

With a manual gearbox I would expect that Jetta Wagon, I assume it is basically the Golf Estate but will double check, will return in excess of 50/60mpg in the right conditions

But you are absolutely right that driver a diesel car is also an underrated experience.

Lots of low down oomph for overtaking and quieter than many might expect on long journeys

There have been several tests done in the UK that have shown comparable petrol and diesel variants of the same car are tested the diesels are very slightly quieter at cruising speed, from memory 60mph or 70mph.

Originally Posted By: kam327
You're buying the diesel car for enjoyment / novelty, not for lower cost of ownership.

The diesel is rated at 42 highway.

And I also see where Supton has 287k on one that is 10 years old.

Nearly 300k on the clock seems to be more than 'enjoyment' and 'novelty' to me.

I so wanted a last-gen Jetta TDI longroof with a MT, but between the $4k higher purchase price and $0.30-0.60/gallon higher cost of diesel compared with premium unleaded around me, it wasn't in the cards.

Nice cars, but more for the novelty and enjoyment than a real MPG advantage.

"IF" I were to ever consider another VW, that would be the exact car I'd consider. No "super expensive" DSG transmission to fix. And the new diesels are powerful and reliable.

So, I say he chose well.

A friend of mine has a 2010 TDI 6 speed Jetta wagon. He's up to around 70k miles, IIRC. It's been great so far, no mechanical issues. Starts great in the cold, warms up only a little slower than my Jeep once it's running. His only real complaint with the car is that the ECU programming is super-conservative around idle to keep emissions down, so if you dip the revs more than 100 rpm below idle on take off, it just stalls suddenly and violently as the ECU cuts fuel.

He averages 40+ mpg in mixed city / highway, so it definitely does well in that respect.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I so wanted a last-gen Jetta TDI longroof with a MT, but between the $4k higher purchase price and $0.30-0.60/gallon higher cost of diesel compared with premium unleaded around me, it wasn't in the cards.

My only qualm with VW TDI is its a high maintenance vehicle. Even supton has posted on expensive costs. Buy a Accord/Camry/Corolla/Civic with 4 cylinder and timing chain, and manual you can get decent MPG along with likely lower maintenance costs. I know quite a few software engineers who own those cars and commute from Maine and NH down to boston.

I did 245k on a 95 Civic in 9 years and only had to replace radiator and exhaust besides doing the regular maintenance. I sold not because anything was broken but I was simply bored of it and got a WRX.

The argument keeps being made that there is a premium when buying a diesel vehicle... and the overused 'novelty' and 'enjoyment' line.

First of all, some people actually DO buy cars for 'novelty' and 'enjoyment'. I know, that may come as a surprise to some.
smirk.gif

Don't forget that there will also be a premium when he goes to *sell* it, and I'm betting that he won't have any problem finding a buyer who will pay a lot more for it, than for a comparable unit with a gasoline engine.

According to KBB, a used 2012 TDI w/ 40,000 miles will book at $4800 more than a comparable gas unit ($19000 vs. $14200).

And right there is ZERO investment lost at resale, when buying the diesel engine.

And, when he goes to sell, there will be very interested buyers out there... and that group will likely be willing to travel long distances to buy it.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: sciphi

My only qualm with VW TDI is its a high maintenance vehicle. Even supton has posted on expensive costs. Buy a Accord/Camry/Corolla/Civic with 4 cylinder and timing chain, and manual you can get decent MPG along with likely lower maintenance costs. I know quite a few software engineers who own those cars and commute from Maine and NH down to boston.

I did 245k on a 95 Civic in 9 years and only had to replace radiator and exhaust besides doing the regular maintenance. I sold not because anything was broken but I was simply bored of it and got a WRX.

It's too bad only VW and subaru offer real wagons anymore. I'd be all over an accord/camry/civic/corolla wagon but we don't get them here.
The diesel should be good for towing as well, its rated for 3500lbs braked in europe. A 4 cyl manaul Camry or accord would easily do that as well I guess, but would require a bit more shifting and would take a bigger mileage hit.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

And, when he goes to sell, there will be very interested buyers out there... and that group will likely be willing to travel long distances to buy it.

I know that in my area, used VW diesels are priced stupidly high. I always wondered what kind of a person would pay close to $10k for something nearing 10 years of age and over 150k miles, but judging from your post there are people like that.
More power to those that can take advantage of this trend.

The ALH TDI's in the early 2000's were most definitely excellent engines, but these latest ones have far too much tech to be considered reliable.

I dunno, I didn't have many buyers interested when I was trying to sell mine. Probably should have tried CL, and omitted the pics--too many smart people on the forums.

Expensive repairs, definately. Maintance, that is up there too, but IMO those are trivial compared to depreciation. Rabid owners with lots of online help? Yep. I've yet to find anything similar for help on my Toyotas.

BTW, mine passed inspection, and the guy was impressed how it looked underneath. And it has never been oil coated. I don't know if I have ever heard of a vw popping a brake line due to rust.

Those owning these TDIs with the 6-speed manual trans... do you find yourself shifting quite a bit? I mean, more than usual?

The reason I ask is that this TDI has a somewhat narrow power band, and you have to keep shifting constantly if you want to maximize mpg. At least that was my experience when driving my dad's car with the same/similar engine. As much as I love manual trans, it was becoming somewhat of a nuisance. I think I'd be inclined to get a slushbox in this particular case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back