2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Hotshot Black Diamond Outlaw 15w40

We tow a 24' enclosed double axle trailer every weekend in the winter with the sleds and a 28' open double axle trailer the rest of the year with the side by sides. Sees 180 miles a weekend, give or take. Mostly highway @70 mph. Truck is tuned and fully deleted.

9 month sample with close to 8,500 total miles.

Attachments

• Ram 2022 Blackstone.jpg
    Ram 2022 Blackstone.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 396
  • Ram.jpg
    Ram.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 366
We tow a 24' enclosed double axle trailer every weekend in the winter with the sleds and a 28' open double axle trailer the rest of the year with the side by sides. Sees 180 miles a weekend, give or take. Mostly highway @70 mph. Truck is tuned and fully deleted.

9 month sample with close to 8,500 total miles.
dude thanks for sharing your OIL test results love the comment in their 13.1 TBN WOW!

@Pokoki79 What was the previous oil brand and grade?

"...Black Diamond Outlaw 15W-40 is a 100% pure poly-α-olefin (PAO) Group IV synthetic oil that requires a very small amount of viscosity improvers to meet the weight specifications..."

Weight specifications? What kind of backwoods group is this?

There is such a thing as 100% pure polyalphaolefin (PAO), but there is no such thing as a 100% PAO formulation.

Last edited:
@Pokoki79 What was the previous oil brand and grade?

"...Black Diamond Outlaw 15W-40 is a 100% pure poly-α-olefin (PAO) Group IV synthetic oil that requires a very small amount of viscosity improvers to meet the weight specifications..."

Weight specifications? What kind of backwoods group is this?

There is such a thing as 100% pure polyalphaolefin (PAO), but there is no such thing as a 100% PAO formulation.
Previous was T6 5w40

It is not a balanced formula.

ATF's have at least 300% more anti-wear phosphorus chemistry than this oil.
Is it possible it’s just a misprint or that thread starter be asking Blackstone if it is?
I think I would.

That's the strangest add pack I've ever seen on a HDEO. If it works who cares, good report!
I agree, the report looks fine, and a UOA is not reverse engineering an oil in hopes to tell exactly what went into the formulation. Having said that it wouldn't be my first choice in oil, but it did work well in this application.

Honestly who cares if its illegal? There are much worse illegal things to be worried about. Tired of hearing people complain about deleted trucks
Apparently the EPA cares ...
Yeah - it's a thing. Maybe you don't care about it, but the EPA does and they have a VERY big hammer with which they will smite the offenders.

Just google up "EPA diesel tuner" and you'll get dozens of hits of shops being caught and fined big money.
https://michigannewssource.com/2022/09/michigan-companies-fined-10m-by-epa-for-diesel-defeat-devices-sales/

And let's not forget both OEMs Volkswager and FCA being fined millions of dollars for skirting EPA limits with their shady schemes.

Last edited:
Honestly who cares if its illegal? There are much worse illegal things to be worried about. Tired of hearing people complain about deleted trucks
Apparently the EPA cares ...
As do quite a few of us "regular" folks, I'm sure ... I had to bite my tongue and not respond to the post as I was trying to keep my anger in check, so thanks for making it easy for me and for addressing the matter. (y)

Back