2014 mazda2 motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fai

Hi,

I own a new 2014 mazda2 (5 speed manual transmission), Mazda recommended 0W-20 motor oil. I live in New York City, my daily drive 85% short trips and fast drive in high rpm.

Please recommend the best oil to me? I care about the performance and protection, not really care about Fuel Economy.

A 0W-20 is going to be a full synthetic anyway. I don't think you can pick a "wrong" one.

If you want to start a debate, then ask which oil filter you should use.

There isn't any one best oil. Any 0w20 from one of the major brand will be all the protection the engine needs. Follow the manufacturer's oil change instructions, especially while under warranty and the engine will last much longer than your interest in it.

Nice job getting the manual tranny!

wow, stick in NYC, that's crazy!
crazy2.gif

If you're worried about all the advice you'll get on picking an oil filter you can always default to the factory filter purchased from the dealer. By the way you might want to keep a spiral bound notebook for service and staple your receipts to the pages as you go. You can add notes and pictures and build a bullet proof warranty protector and a good track record for the next owner to review while he's making the decision to purchase your old car.

Originally Posted By: Fai
Hi,

I own a new 2014 mazda2 (5 speed manual transmission), Mazda recommended 0W-20 motor oil. I live in New York City, my daily drive 85% short trips and fast drive in high rpm.

Please recommend the best oil to me? I care about the performance and protection, not really care about Fuel Economy.

I'll have to guess that you have a petrol engine?

According the Autodata system, for both the Mazda 2 (DE) 1.3 and 1.5 engine you can use

All Temperatures

5w 20, 5W-30 ILSAC GF-2, SL/A3, A5

10w-40 ILSAC GF-2 SL/A3

Have a look in your manual to double check the recommended viscosities for your engine/climate conditions.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
wow, stick in NYC, that's crazy!
crazy2.gif

Hopefully the car has a nice, low first gear and one heckuva throwout bearing!

Riggas

Mazda UK give Autodata their recommendation which is 5W/20. Mazda US will give a different recommendation as they do on the MX5.

You cannot look at one countries number and then say that ties in with a different market, I know that just sounds daft.

eddie

You really match an oil to the vehicle requirements and type of driving you do, in this case 85% short trip driving.
I've had great results using high Vi oils for the type of driving above, so I'll recommend the Mazda 0w20 with moly.
It's an OEM oil, Kv40 of 35 that is extremely beneficial for startup/short trips when the engine won't get to full temp and will provide excellent protection and mpg.

Thanks all reply to this topic.
I know US Mazda recommended 0W-20 motor oil. But outside of US and Canada is recommeded 5W-20 or 5W-30. Can I use thicker oil for more protection? I am from the old school..... Always thinks thicker oil will get more protection.

My dealer give 5000 miles service interval for free. After 10000 miles I will change the oil by myself. Mobile 1 & Castrol edge is easy to buy from autozone or walmart. 0W-20 or 0W-30 is my question.

Originally Posted By: Fai
Can I use thicker oil for more protection? I am from the old school..... Always thinks thicker oil will get more protection.

Yes, typically, but you need to consider the operating nature of the engine. That 1.5L isn't burning much fuel (and producing the associated power) even at WOT that would require significant margins of 'viscosity reserve'.
That said, MGMO (Mazda Genuine) 0w20 is available at your dealer and would be an ideal choice

Last edited:
The oil specs come from Mazda (Japan) chap, you'll usually find the difference is down to CAFE mpg number crunching rather than anything else.

SAE 0w-20, 5w-20, 0w-30, 5W-30 and 10w-40

are all recommended but in the US they choose the lightest recommended viscosity oil

If you can get recommended 0w-20 though, why not use it.

Last edited:
0w20, any major brand. If your O.Manual allows for a higher viscosity, have at it since it satisies that desire.

Last edited:
The "old School" was wrong. You use what the manufacturer recommends, and in your case that's 0-20. Any major brand, and use the OE filter. Don't second guess the folks that got paid to engineer your car. They know more than you, and those old fogeys in "School". You don't want thicker oil in a car with tighter bearings and clearances, driving in NYC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back