2014 Hyundai Elantra Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
For both my wife and I, this is our first "new" vehicle purchase. I was sick of putting time and money into beaters, so we decided to look for a newer, more reliable, and economical commuter car. However, we didn't really want your typical run-of-the-mill econobox.

I found a local dealer with this still "new" 2014 Elantra Coupe. Sticker price was $21,000, but they had it marked down to $14,900. We went and test drove it, and we both loved it so we brought it home.

I'm really surprised how comfortable and roomy it is for a small car, and it drives and handles quite nicely too. It's the "base" model, but is surprisingly well equipped. It has the 2.0L GDI engine that makes 170+ HP, so it can be fun to drive too. I really wish it had a manual transmission, but it's an automatic. It does have the manual shift mode, but that's just not the same. I do like how they made subtle yet noticeable styling differences to set it apart from the sedan version. I'm not a fan of the styling of most newer cars, but I think this thing is really sharp looking. It's sleek and stylish, a bit aggressive looking, but not way over the top like some cars you see these days. We haven't had it long enough to figure any real fuel economy numbers, but the trip computer has been showing an average of about 31-32 mpg.

All in all, I think we got a great deal on a nice car that should last us a long time.

That was a pretty good deal, must have sat on the lot for a long time. They really wanted it gone lol

I also got a super great deal I couldn't pass up when I got the Yukon. And nice looking Jeep from what I can see, I'm Jealous.

Congratz on the car and I am jealous for the price.

From the folks I spoke with on this side of the pound they are very happy with them, although some of them find the suspension a bit too stiff.

Awesome deal and congrats on the Elantra. My BIL is on his 4th Hyundai. The last two have been Elantra 4 door Limited. He loves'em!

Best of luck,

CB

Nice. I had an Elantra as a rental last year when the Sonata got the snot beat out of it by a hail storm and I was impressed with it overall. Enjoy the ride.

We have the same car, in 4-door version (2015 Elantra Sport), right down to the paint color.

Love the car.

However, some issues you might want to be aware of:
1. Wheels do not tolerate ANY curb rubbing. No protection from tires at all.
2. Very low front end clearance.
3. We had 2 bulbs that where not installed properly, right low beam headlight and left fog, affecting light output.
4. Pick up some extra push fasteners if you plan to change you own oil. There are a bunch of these securing a large plastic cover under the engine. I found 50 of these fasteners for $12.99 on eBay from China. Search "50 pcs Push Type 09409-09302 Clip Retainer Fastener Rivet for Mazda 323 Ford"

yes, not suitable for most dirt roads (too little ground clearance), but if never need to go there I find the I30/elantra the best steering Hyundai you can get. the Sonata feels decidely inert in comparison, but might make a better highway cruiser.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
That was a pretty good deal, must have sat on the lot for a long time. They really wanted it gone lol

I also got a super great deal I couldn't pass up when I got the Yukon. And nice looking Jeep from what I can see, I'm Jealous.

Me too. Awesome deal for a very nice car, I like the silver color too for not looking dirty 2-3 weeks after washing.

Thanks guys, we are definitely liking the car so far. I didn't even know they made a coupe version of the Elantra until this one popped up on one of the car search websites I was looking at. Turns out they only made them for 2013 and 2014, and didn't sell very many so they were discontinued. We didn't even look at any other cars, there was no doubt we would find a better deal anywhere else.

Other than being an automatic, the only other minor annoyance I've found so far is that it doesn't have a spare tire. It just has a 12V air compressor and a can of tire sealant in the trunk.

This is actually my second Hyundai. I had a Tiburon several years ago, which was also a great car.

Originally Posted By: opus1
Nice. I had an Elantra as a rental last year when the Sonata got the snot beat out of it by a hail storm and I was impressed with it overall. Enjoy the ride.

I had a rental Elantra as well when my Rondo got sideswiped by a City of Austin dumptruck on US183. I really liked it a lot. Good front seat room for such a small car. We took it to Dallas for our anniversary weekend and got 41mpg on the way there and 38mpg on the way back (headwind) at a constant 75mph...

I have thought for a long time that in terms of bang for the buck, that Hyundai was at the top of the list. This post seems to prove it.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Thanks guys, we are definitely liking the car so far. I didn't even know they made a coupe version of the Elantra until this one popped up on one of the car search websites I was looking at. Turns out they only made them for 2013 and 2014, and didn't sell very many so they were discontinued. We didn't even look at any other cars, there was no doubt we would find a better deal anywhere else.

Other than being an automatic, the only other minor annoyance I've found so far is that it doesn't have a spare tire. It just has a 12V air compressor and a can of tire sealant in the trunk.

This is actually my second Hyundai. I had a Tiburon several years ago, which was also a great car.

you could get a spare tyre kit from the dealer if you really want.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

you could get a spare tyre kit from the dealer if you really want.

That's not a bad idea, although I'm sure I could find a spare tire and a jack somewhere other than the dealer for a fraction of the price.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Is there enough room in the trunk for a full size spare ?

Actually, the car still has the normal space in the trunk for a spare tire. They just put a big piece of Styrofoam in there that holds the "Tire Mobility Kit". I just happen to have a good tire from my old Tiburon that's the same size as the tires on the Elantra. (215/45/17) I took out the "Tire Mobility Kit" and the tire fits in there perfectly, so I'll probably just find a wheel for it.

Here's what they put where the spare tire is supposed to be :

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back