2014 Ford Escape 2.0L EcoBoost - Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5w-30 - 6K miles

Point of note: Fuel dilution continues to be seemingly random. Sometimes there's fuel, sometimes there's almost none, but only once was it ever considered in the "high" range. I have heard some remarks in the past questioning Blackstone's testing for fuel. Maybe someone who knows more than I do can over some insight.

Other than that, seems pretty decent to me. No big changes, and that's a good thing.

Escape Jun 22 BITOG Edit.jpg

Did you change the oil cold? Many people recommend taking a ~30 minute highway drive before taking a sample to burn off any fuel that accumulated during idling and short trips.

The wear numbers look good despite the fuel, so you're doing something right!

Reactions: FZ1
MDTaylor, you had a 2.0L Escape EB that you found some oil consumption on (.75qt), is this that same vehicle? If so, was there no top up this interval?

Did you change the oil cold? Many people recommend taking a ~30 minute highway drive before taking a sample to burn off any fuel that accumulated during idling and short trips.

Why not sample it exactly as you parked the vehicle and look at the oil after your typical daily usage???

Taking a drive just to help burn off some fuel would hide a potential problem…? No?

I never change the oil cold, especially if I'm doing a UOA. The engine was driven around 28 miles at 60 - 70mph before the sample was taken. I'm also careful not to go WOT during a trip before a UOA. Just nice steady revs.

I think my luck with this engine is a combination of 90% highway miles, synthetic oil for it's whole life, and keeping almost all OCIs under 7K miles.

MDTaylor, you had a 2.0L Escape EB that you found some oil consumption on (.75qt), is this that same vehicle? If so, was there no top up this interval?
Yes, this is the same vehicle with the consumption. I have not needed to top this engine off between OCIs at this point. It's actually averaging around .5qts between changes now. At one point it was .75qts but it seems to have improved since I changed out the spark plugs. Don't know if it's related to that or not but that's when the improvement started.

Why not sample it exactly as you parked the vehicle and look at the oil after your typical daily usage???

Taking a drive just to help burn off some fuel would hide a potential problem…? No?
I'm not sure if it would or not. But, as it so happens, I am typically taking the sample as it would be parked after a commute anyway. That's just how it usually works out.

Back