2014 Chevy Equinox P0420

2.4 ecotec is one of the worst engines of all time . famous for a ton of problems.
Same motor as the Cavalier. I was looking at one before I got the Grand Prix with a 3.1 Liter.
Glad I passed on it. That Grand Prix has been a real blessing! {104,XXX miles}

I almost thought I started this thread, because I scanned a friend's 2014 Equinox and it had 7 codes. When we looked online it said engine removal and cleaning out intake ports, $2000+. Yep, I'm a GM fanboy and now that an Escalade starts at 113k, I've switched to Tahoe which is "ONLY" 80k. Why do I do this when we all know the lousy dealer network and lousy mfg lol They say the 2023 has DFM issues right off the bat, 5.3 or 6.2. And yes we have a P0420 on our 2011 SUV.

I don’t think the equinox has ever had a “good” engine 🤔
I thought our friend had a V6 like our Enclave, so it was gonna be the same (reset the ECU, wait for engine to go into I/M ready, drive right to inspection, pass, and deal with it next year. Didn't know it was a 4 cyl and it had 7 codes and many YouTubes with engine removal to fix. I had thought the 5.3 and 6.2 V8's were good engines that last 250k+, so the 6.2 was gonna be my next move, and now I become aware of DFM and AFM. We Americans are the smartest, brightest, hardest working people on the planet. When there is trouble, everyone seeks us out. We should be able to build better cars.

3.6 'nox is solid. Quality fluids and severe maintenance schedule and they last. 100k miles on my '16 AWD and just normal maintenance so far. Traded my '11 5.3 Tahoe with 150k miles, the one with AFM issues, no issues with mine.
It's all about maintenance and making the hard choice of buying fluids/ oils and changing them or barley pops.

3.6 'nox is solid. Quality fluids and severe maintenance schedule and they last. 100k miles on my '16 AWD and just normal maintenance so far. Traded my '11 5.3 Tahoe with 150k miles, the one with AFM issues, no issues with mine.
It's all about maintenance and making the hard choice of buying fluids/ oils and changing them or barley pops.
My issue is I’m not looking for 150-200k (Enclave will do that with its current issues) I’m looking for the last two cars I’ll ever buy as I tend to drive them 25 years. This is likely not realistic anymore. Anyway sounds like I could do the 6.2 DFM and maybe keep the oil clean. I’m pretty sold on the current Tahoe and then M2/M3, and even willing to pay $3500 for the Brembos. 6 piston with 16” rotors? How does anyone not stroke that option. Again these are bucket list items. But I cannot do the starting at 113 for the Escalade. Everything for me starts with a dream and may take even 10 years to achieve. I hate the look of the rear control arms on the Tahoe but I love the 121 cu ft.

Same motor as the Cavalier. I was looking at one before I got the Grand Prix with a 3.1 Liter.
Glad I passed on it. That Grand Prix has been a real blessing! {104,XXX miles}
Old (like 2001) cavaliers with the 2.4 weren't all ecotecs. They were "twin cam" engines, no vvt or other stuff. They had their own problems, including the water pump failing and being impossible to replace

Back