2014 Chevy Equinox P0420

Just replaced the intake and exhaust VVT solenoids a few days ago and have driven a couple hundred miles since then. Today while driving the CEL illuminated. Was near an Oreilly’s and stopped in to have the code read. Got the P0420 cat related code. Could that have any correlation with the solenoid replacements or are the two likely unrelated?

I did also run a Liqui Moly engine flush and oil change after the solenoid replacements if that’s a point of information.

Possibly related. If the vvt is stuck you might be running rich.

Why did you replace the solenoids?
Daughter had the car at school when it quit on her. Symptoms she described were consistent with those of a failed solenoid. Read the codes and the P0420 was indicated and I replaced them both in her apartment parking lot while I was in there.

I’m not picking up on any changes in drivability or engine performance.

We’re there any codes when it quit?

P0420 is cat efficiency too low. If that was the original code that was likely not the vvt solenoids to start. However it wouldn’t cause the car to quit - just fail emissions.

If it was running on bad vvt solenoids it might have been running rich and carboned up the cats and now you got the P0420. You should read your long term fuel trims and see where your at - rich or lean or good?

We’re there any codes when it quit?

P0420 is cat efficiency too low. If that was the original code that was likely not the vvt solenoids to start. However it wouldn’t cause the car to quit - just fail emissions.

If it was running on bad vvt solenoids it might have been running rich and carboned up the cats and now you got the P0420. You should read your long term fuel trims and see where you’re at - rich or lean or good?
Original code was P0010 when it quit.

I misspoke before when I said the initial code was 0420, it was in fact the 0010. The 0420 was the code stored today when the CEL came on.

We’ve only had it for a couple months, I’d say 1/2 quart in 1k miles.
That's only going to get worse and that oil usage had fouled your cat. Next thing will be timing chains. How do I know? Have replaced over 20 of these motors alone this year for oil use that wasn't checked by the owner and ruined chains or locked up. You gotta keep oil in it.

It needs a motor. It's setting a P0420 because the cat is ruined from the oil burning. Replacing the solenoids was a band-aid, I guarantee that motor needs a timing set as we speak.

Does anybody know what year the Equinox stopped having engine problems with the 2.4l? (I know the 3.6 was a problem for many years)

the problem never stoped. get rid of this car . things will only get worse. the 2.4 ecotec is one of the worst engines of all time . famous for a ton of problems. just look them up.

Back