2013 Toyota Sienna AWD - A/S Tire Suggestions?

Question for those more in the know than I am.

eBay is running a decent coupon special right now with $100 off $500 or $150 off $750 for a set of tires. Family van is a 2013 Sienna currently on General Altimax RT43s that are getting very worn on the shoulder blocks. Might be able to squeak out another summer on them, but would rather not roll the dice on a blowout since its the family ride.

Im looking to replace, and considering the General Altimax RT45, the Nokian One, and the Cooper Endeavor. Thinking of moving to an XL for the load range given how much stuff/people is usually crammed in there. Not concerned about snow traction since I have a separate set of Nokian snows on other wheels that Ill swap in (but might need to get them swapped eventually, they are dated back in 2016 or 2017 I believe, but still have a ton of tread).

Any thoughts on any of the above tires or alternate suggestions? The van is really hard on the shoulders of the tires, stock Bridgestones that came with it were run flats that got swapped out before 30k, and have been swapping these Generals out in the summer since that replacement, van is up to about 90k now.

Thanks!

If those choices, I would go with the Cooper Endeavor Plus, since that tire is made for the weight of a SUV/CUV, which the Sienna falls under that weight.

You can also consider the Continental CrossContact LX25 also

Last edited:
If those choices, I would go with the Cooper Endeavor Plus, since that tire is made for the weight of a SUV/CUV, which the Sienna falls under that weight.

You can also consider the Continental CrossContact LX25 also
Thanks for the response! I was also considering the Cooper Discoverer Enduramax, which I know is more of a truck tire, but seems like it might be suited to the use of a heavy van also....

Thanks for the response! I was also considering the Cooper Discoverer Enduramax, which I know is more of a truck tire, but seems like it might be suited to the use of a heavy van also....
Whatever you choose, Sienna will obliterate tires.
That is a good recommendation to move to SUV type tire and keep your PSI at least at 42 on all 4 corners.

Whatever you choose, Sienna will obliterate tires.
That is a good recommendation to move to SUV type tire and keep your PSI at least at 42 on all 4 corners.
Please tell us more....

I am aware (and I think we've even chatted about) something with Sienna front suspension geometry causing horrible scrubbing during turns, both gen 2 and gen 3 identically. I'm interested in what went into your +7psi all around recommendation and SUV tire specification.

I found a past gen2 Sienna was really happy on Michelin Defender T+H in summer. The current gen3 Sienna is relatively happy on RT43s in summer, but has been wearing Hakka R3 SUVs really fast (but evenly), much faster than the gen2 Sienna wore Hakka R2 SUVs.

I typically try to run around 40 PSI in the summer. I dont know if a higher PSI helps the sidewalls stay stiff, or if it would encourage more propensity to wear the outer and inner shoulders during turns.

I have been happy with the RT43s for the most part, so dont mind going to the RT45s, but didnt know if anyone had tried any of the other similarly priced offerings to know if they were wearing any better. Ill read up a little more on the Cooper's since they also seem to have a $40 rebate right now. If I can stack that with the current eBay offer, thats close to $200 of a full set. Im going to need to spend that since I should probably swap my sensors this time around... Originals are still in the tires and I wont make it through another swap on the original batteries.

Please tell us more....

I am aware (and I think we've even chatted about) something with Sienna front suspension geometry causing horrible scrubbing during turns, both gen 2 and gen 3 identically. I'm interested in what went into your +7psi all around recommendation and SUV tire specification.

I found a past gen2 Sienna was really happy on Michelin Defender T+H in summer. The current gen3 Sienna is relatively happy on RT43s in summer, but has been wearing Hakka R3 SUVs really fast (but evenly), much faster than the gen2 Sienna wore Hakka R2 SUVs.

Search the forum.
There is theory that Toyota chose front geometry that eats tires (I believe edges) and bumping pressure increases wear in the center.

That very likely lowers the grip in the front but objective is to even the wear not to maintain safety. Or so it seems.

If this is the case then Siena is poorly designed vehicle, where manufacturer chose to save money and avoided spending it on designing front geometry and passed the cost to the customer. It seems to be paying off.

Krzyś

Is your tire size 235/55-18? :unsure:

You might like the Michelin Primacy 3 which is actually a good price for an 18" Michelin. They are summer tires, but that's OK if you have separate winter tires.

The Goodyear Assurance Maxlife sounds like something that will last a long time.

The Cooper Enduramax is good if you drive over potholes and curbs because it's supposed to be tougher :sneaky:

Is your tire size 235/55-18? :unsure:

You might like the Michelin Primacy 3 which is actually a good price for an 18" Michelin. They are summer tires, but that's OK if you have separate winter tires.

The Goodyear Assurance Maxlife sounds like something that will last a long time.

The Cooper Enduramax is good if you drive over potholes and curbs because it's supposed to be tougher :sneaky:
Indeed it is.

I spent way too long looking at reviews last night. Still not closer to a decision. :). Ill check out the Michelin. Was also wondering about the Nokian One, but seems to be not a lot of reviews on that tire.

Leaning towards the Endeavor Plus based on cost and reviews on Tire Rack, but don't mind spending the extra money if its for a better product.

We are running Michelin CrossClimate 2's on our 2018 Sienna AWD. Previously we had the same General Altimax RT43. It is remarkable how much better the van drives with the Michelins. It was like driving a different vehicle. Before it felt so sloppy in the corners and didn't track well on the interstate. The Michelin fixed both of those things and are also much quieter and resist hydroplaning much better. I can't comment on wear or snow traction yet for the Sienna specifically, but they are excelling in those areas on the other 2 cars.

Did you go with the CrossClimate2 or the CrossClimate2SUV? (Not sure what the difference is....) Appreciate the feedback.

I used Continental Tru Contact on a 12 2wd and got about 44,000 or so out of a couple sets of them. They had decent winter traction for non winter specific tires. It was a highway based vehicle. They were less than Michelin, but I would figure where you live and miles per year as they all will wear on the sides. It looks like Michelin cross climate 2 get good reviews. Waiting to hear on the Defender 2. Continental seems to not have as much sidewall cracking in some climates.

Make sure you verify manufacturing date on tires from ebay, or any online source.

I couldn't get round Coopers that would balance on either of my Toyota's. Good luck if that was your choice.

The non-snow radial tires from Nokian were uninspiring, just like the RT43's that seems to be the overhyped midrange tire.

There is an XL Michelin available in that size. I'd start there.... note that the size is also available in h/v rated too. So, be picky and careful on the part number since tire shops tend to be fools.

I am currently running Continentals in 2 vehicles. No complaints. And, even though the crossclimate2's in one of my cars is good in snow, they suck in the rain and make noise. So, I won't bother with crossclimates again but with a 640 wear rating, seem to be lasting too long.

I think Toyota tends to be undersized with tires. Maybe consider a 245/55r18... RT45's and see how they do for 3 season driving.

I havent picked anything just yet, but still mulling over my options.

Sorry to hear you had issues with the Coopers. I have had two sets of them ever (a set of snows that wore very well, and a set of CS5 Ultras that were alright), but never ran into any issues.

eBay tires I would buy are typically from DiscountTire so should be current stock. I do appreciate that reminder, since I did get a set at one point that had one tire that was more than a year older than the other three.....

Given that the shoulders wear out so much more quickly than the rest of the tire, Im a little nervous about going with a top-tier Michelin or Conti since I probably wont get much of a chance to use the whole tire. Im tempted to give the RT45s a shot since the RT43s have been pretty good on the Sienna for us so far.

Back