2013 Subaru 2.5L oil burn

At this point, after your run of the HPL oil --- try running Mobil 1 0W40. WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE???

This is true. I have had great luck as mentioned before with M1. 0W40 may have more detergents and I've used it in a 2006 diesel sprinter. 5w30 M1 saved me an engine job with the EJ253 using 1 qt every 500 miles ruining converters every 10,000 miles at 120,000. The Ext performance was even better in the EJ253. and almost back to as new consumption at 177000 miles OCI 4 to 5,000 miles. Sorry I keep blowing this horn because it worked for me. Other oils may be similar although I cannot speak of them other than Rotella synthetic T4.

Cool, I will try M1 0W-40 next time. I am almost at 1000 miles after filling 1QT.
So for update on this topic, I have tried HPL 5w-30 for apprximately 2600 miles so far. My first check oil light came on 1650, and second one after filling 1 QT might come in 100ish miles (1000 miles currently).
The best result I had seen was with yamalube which pushed the low oil light to around 1900ish miles, but it didn't stay that way.
I am thinking of adding 500 ml rislone before the oil change. Is it a bad idea?

What year Subaru has oil consumption problems?

Many Subaru owners have found that the 2.0L, 2.2L, and 2.5L engines powering some Subaru vehicles built after 2011 consume more oil than usual. The most affected models include: 2011-2015 Forester. 2013-2014 Legacy.

Update: I finally flushed the HPL engine oil. I stretched it up to 4600 miles with that oil. I did top up at least twice, one with regular oil, and one with rislone.

I ended up doing an oil change with Pennzoil Euro 5w-30 just recently.
And I recently got P0420 check engine light. :/ I am assuming getting the light after this oil has to be a coincidence.
Is there an easy way to determine if the CAT is bad? I have OBD2 scanner and torque lite app.

Thanks!

Update: I finally flushed the HPL engine oil. I stretched it up to 4600 miles with that oil. I did top up at least twice, one with regular oil, and one with rislone.

I ended up doing an oil change with Pennzoil Euro 5w-30 just recently.
And I recently got P0420 check engine light. :/ I am assuming getting the light after this oil has to be a coincidence.
Is there an easy way to determine if the CAT is bad? I have OBD2 scanner and torque lite app.

Thanks!
Could be o2 sensor or at, dirty injector, could need an intake cleaning. Pcv? I doubt the HPL or Rislone would clean your engine a lot in just 4600 miles.
I assume since it’s a Subaru that it’s using oil? Could also try a piston soak.
Easy cheap = piston soak, intake cleaner, fuel system cleaner before you decide to replace cat or o2 sensor or fuel injectors.
Might work who knows.

Thank you, I will look into it. I also forgot to mention I did 3-4 oz of yamalube a tank ago too. I am throwing everything to reduce oil consumption lol
I came across cataclean and thinking of trying that. Looks like my vehicle reports lambda value. Is it the same thing I should compare to see how the upstream and downstream values are reading?

Thanks!

Thank you, I will look into it. I also forgot to mention I did 3-4 oz of yamalube a tank ago too. I am throwing everything to reduce oil consumption lol
I came across cataclean and thinking of trying that. Looks like my vehicle reports lambda value. Is it the same thing I should compare to see how the upstream and downstream values are reading?

Thanks!
Clean worked on my sisters 14 explorer long enough to pass emissions every year for a few years. That’s all she would do though.
Yes the downstream shouldn’t mirror the upstream on o2.
Some say cleaning mass airflow system can help too, forgot about that one.

Typing this on the phone. I logged this. I am not sure if I captures upstream and downstream both. I could only find these ones with lambda in the obd scanner. They mirror each other. Not sure if it is the same sensor though (at idle).

Screenshot_20240225-112751.jpg

Typing this on the phone. I logged this. I am not sure if I captures upstream and downstream both. I could only find these ones with lambda in the obd scanner. They mirror each other. Not sure if it is the same sensor though (at idle).

View attachment 205330
Find b1s2 or b2s2. They should sit around 0.7mv or so and not jump around. I recently fixed this code on a Honda by replacing the downstream sensor, it would randomly stop reading (jump to 0.00v and back to normal) I'll have to ask the owner of the van if the engine light stayed off.

Thanks!
Did you try BG EPR?

It has worked for me in the past to clean rings up and reduce consumption

Reactions: wlk
For what's worth, I don't think HPL engine oil did anything. For a $60 oil with lots of positive reviews, I was hoping to see some positive outcome, but nada. I am reluctant on pouring money on an expensive oil if it's not actually improving. I used that oil for almost 5000-6000 miles. It's not a lot, but I figured I would share my experience. If HPL wants to send me the bottles for free, I would be happy to try again. :ROFLMAO:

I think I might try BG EPR as a last resort. I am currently using Pennzoil FS 5w-30 and I see low oil light illumiante at 1100 miles and previously had HPL engine oil.

BG EPR might be worth a try, but I suppose I might have to live with this issue. It's really inconvenient and concerning that Subaru and other OEMs think this 1 Qt/1000 miles is acceptable.

Sorry, to clarify, I have tried BG EPR. I meant to say I would like to try BG engine flush kit at some point.
To report on my caes, BG EPR did not improve.

Find b1s2 or b2s2. They should sit around 0.7mv or so and not jump around. I recently fixed this code on a Honda by replacing the downstream sensor, it would randomly stop reading (jump to 0.00v and back to normal) I'll have to ask the owner of the van if the engine light stayed off.

For now the CEL has gone off on its own, but I am concered that it might pop up at some point again. It's roughly 1k miles or so since that light illuminated. I also tried Cataclean, it defintiely seems like a nice product. I could tell it did improve something. The pedal is more responsive.

How about the Valvoline Restore and Protect 5w30? Says it will clean rings in 4 oil change intervals... Worked on my kids 4.0l Tacoma in 1 oil change, he is still running it for life he says. Granted his had just started using oil. Maybe worth a shot and a lot cheaper than HPL.

How about the Valvoline Restore and Protect 5w30? Says it will clean rings in 4 oil change intervals... Worked on my kids 4.0l Tacoma in 1 oil change, he is still running it for life he says. Granted his had just started using oil. Maybe worth a shot and a lot cheaper than HPL.

I have nothing to lose. haha :ROFLMAO:
I will try above engine oil and report back.

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5L that has developed oil burning issue. I purchased this vehicle at 105k miles about 2 years ago. My first low oil warning light came on at 3500miles. The manual suggests 7500 miles; however, this early generation of FB25 engines were notorious for oil burning issue. I had some data from car fax, and noticed the vehicle got oil change roughly around 3.5k miles. I had actually contacted the Subaru and they never followed up with me and I got busy, so I left it at that time.

After my first oil change 2 years ago, I noticed the oil burning has steadily increased. I put Castrol Edge 5w-20 and have changed oil back and forth Kirkland, Pennzoil to see if particular oil reduced the consumption. I have also changed PCV valve about two years ago. The old fun was still functioning (rattling).

Ever since my first oil change at ~108k, I have been trying to address the oil consumption issue one way, or another. I would like to note my vehicle currently burns 1 qt at roughly 1300-1400 miles.
Things I have tried:
Liqui Moly Engine Flush: No impact
Berryman B12: Gas tank. I bet the vehicle needed this as I felt increased power.
BG EPR: No Impact, or marginal as I did feel increased torque due to better compression? Done 3500 miles later than b-12.
Berry Man B12: in Engine: It didn’t do anything. Might have done some cleaning, but oil burn didn’t change.

Currently I am trying yamalube ring free. The instruction call for 1 oz every 10 gallons, but I poured 6 oz for my entire tank. It’s still running on it, so I can’t report anything. The last oil change I had was with Rosella t6, and it didn’t help with oil burn, my low oil light came on at 1400 miles.
I would like to know from the community, is there anything that’s proven to address this issue?
Browsing this forum, it seems HPL engine oil might be worth trying, or BG engine flush kit.

Thanks!!!
BG EPR

Agree with trying the Valvoline Restore and Protect.
Find a pail of cheap 15W-40 on sale and have to do top-offs between oil changes.

Back