2013 Subaru 0W-20 and filter combo???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the wife did it. She bought another Subaru. Up until now everything was easy. Tons of easily accessible oils (5W-30) and filters on her previous cars. But this one specs 0W-20 and has a unique filter.

I know many of the Japanese manufacturers are moving towards 0W-20 and I'm fine with the spec, but my choices are so much more limited.

First the 2013 Legacy has the new Subaru 2.5 FB motor which was introduced on the Forester a couple of years ago. However, the Legacy has a different oil filter (Subaru part # 15208AA15A) than the Forester. Of course it's the Blue Honeywell filter; not the high quality Tokyo Roki. No cross reference at Wix or Purolator. I have emails into both.

Now for the oil. Seems that Toyota's 0W-20 is the favorite in this weight on the board, but short of winning the lottery I cannot deal with my local Toyota dealer; same people own the local Subaru dealer; same problem. I know M1 is probably one of the easiest to find, but I know some Subaru owners have reported consumption problems (at least in previous years) with M1. My Walmart has Valvoline Synpower but only in quarts so the price is higher. Of course Napa has their private version (Valvoline Syn with "less power) for less money I'd like to continue to use SOPUS products and I have found PP at a Walmart about 50 miles away..... yada, yada, yada. I don't know what I'm going to do.

I know being a member here boarders on some weird addiction so I have to figure this out.... I just have to. Like I say it was just so easy before 4.2 quarts of QSUD and a P1 filter. I need help and suggestions.

By the way, any idea if the new FB motor with timing chain would be more likely to shear? My limited knowledge says it might.

Darn change is hard.

AMSOIL makes three 0W-20 oils: OE (OEM drain interval), XL (6 mos/10K), and Signature Series (1 year/25K normal, 1 year/15K severe). You don't have to hunt for it either - UPS will bring it right to your door.

OEM oil filter all the way and whatever 0W-20 you want. The Mobil1 consumption problems that you have read about are mainly for the turbos and a lot of folks are running the wrong viscosity for the application. Actually, there are a lot of 0W-20 consumption threads on various Subaru boards using any oil. There's been an ongoing one on the Forester board in the FB forum for a year now.

Here's a recent uoa on the Subaru Idemitsu 0W-20. Looks like there is still plenty of the API SM moly loaded version floating around at Subaru dealers. You would have to drive 50 miles to get Pennzoil Platinum? Yeah, Amsoil OE would look like a good choice to me!

The Forester FB engine initially required a 3,750 oil initial change due to the timing chain, but SoA later said they found that 7,500 miles was fine for the initial change (and subsequent changes) based on their testing.

-Dennis

AMSOIL OE 0w20, Good stuff!

Can be had for less than other off shelf oils per individual quart...

Last edited:
Had to revive this thread for a question. I often visit a Subaru site and an owner has done an oil change on a 2013 Legacy with a P1 PL14610. Obviously the filter screws on (pics below) but since Purolator does not spec any filter for this application, is this "safe?" What say the BITOG faithful, do you think this filter is a good match for the application or should I stick with OEM as seen in the pictures (Subaru 15208AA15A)? I do have to say the P1 matches the color scheme of Subaru...all yellow.
grin.gif

img20121025153919119.jpg

img20121025153841858.jpg

img20121025154954541.jpg

Originally Posted By: sopususer
Had to revive this thread for a question. I often visit a Subaru site and an owner has done an oil change on a 2013 Legacy with a P1 PL14610. Obviously the filter screws on (pics below) but since Purolator does not spec any filter for this application, is this "safe?" What say the BITOG faithful, do you think this filter is a good match for the application or should I stick with OEM ..............

With a vertically mounted filter like that, an excellent anti-drain valve is essential. Does the Purolator have that, and the correct bypass pressure?

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

With a vertically mounted filter like that, an excellent anti-drain valve is essential. Does the Purolator have that, and the correct bypass pressure?

I totally agree and hoped that someone on the board might have that info. I'm not worried about the P1 ADBV, as it is silicone and overall seems to be a good solid filter, but the bypass setting info would be nice if anyone knows.

A funny note - had been debating for weeks about using the OEM Subaru-FRAM 15208AA15A. Decided to order a couple for the oil changes up to 60K, thinking if the FRAM failed it would be easier to get Subaru to pick up the tab.

Anyways - they recalled the entire stash of filters I ordered because of defective gaskets from the factory. FRAM, awesome. I am going to use the Tokyo Roki's that they use on the Japanese-made Subaru FB25's.

Originally Posted By: tommersyip
A funny note - had been debating for weeks about using the OEM Subaru-FRAM 15208AA15A. Decided to order a couple for the oil changes up to 60K, thinking if the FRAM failed it would be easier to get Subaru to pick up the tab.

Anyways - they recalled the entire stash of filters I ordered because of defective gaskets from the factory. FRAM, awesome. I am going to use the Tokyo Roki's that they use on the Japanese-made Subaru FB25's.

Let me know which Tokyo Roki you decide to go with (is it the 130 or 160?) and how it works for you on the car.

I actually purchased a 160 with my order of the 15A's to compare and it is identical. I am waiting for someone to dig up bypass ratings of the 15A - if they match then I am going to go with the 160's.

There is a guy on the Subaru Outback forums that left his dealership with a 160 and his engine hasn't exploded yet
smile.gif

I actually purchased a 160 with my order of the 15A's to compare and it is identical. I am waiting for someone to dig up bypass ratings of the 15A - if they match then I am going to go with the 160's.

There is a guy on the Subaru Outback forums that left his dealership with a 160 and his engine hasn't exploded yet
smile.gif

I can't see how there would be any difference in the Forester and Legacy FB motors. I haven't seen any negatives on the build quality of Tokyo Roki filters, so I may stock up and use these. I'm still about 3K away from my first oil change, so I still have some time to decide.

smile.gif

I've been using the 160's in my '12 Fozzy X since I bought it in Dec'11. So far so good.

Originally Posted By: sopususer

I can't see how there would be any difference in the Forester and Legacy FB motors. I haven't seen any negatives on the build quality of Tokyo Roki filters, so I may stock up and use these. I'm still about 3K away from my first oil change, so I still have some time to decide.

Yup - I agree. The Tokyo Roki's have only been solid from what I have read.

I am guessing that Subaru of Indiana is ramping up or has ramped up to produce FB-series motors. My August built 2013 2.5L Outback has a Japanese made FB25 so I am guessing they aren't quite there yet.

They probably chose the FRAM/Honeywell 15A's as a local supply source to increase the domestic content percentage on the Moroney (sp?) Sticker.

I will be going all Tokyo Roki 160 once I confirm the bypass specs.

The bypass value for the 160 is the proper 23 psi. It's an exact match to the 15A except for being a bit longer. I'm using the 160 on my 2008 LGT.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
The bypass value for the 160 is the proper 23 psi. It's an exact match to the 15A except for being a bit longer. I'm using the 160 on my 2008 LGT.

Ed

I think =in comparison to the 12A, not 15A, the 160 is longer. The 160 and the 15A are identical in size. The 15A is the filter made just for the 2013 Outback/Legacy FB25.

Thats great to hear tho that the 160 is working for you tho. Seems like it might be a universal Subary 4-cyl filter for the last few years at least.

Anyways -they recalled the entire stash of filters I ordered because of defective gaskets from the factory. FRAM, awesome. I am going to use the Tokyo Roki's that they use on the Japanese-made Subaru FB25's.

More OFFICIAL info on this

oil_filter_subarunet_posting-page-001.jpg

oil_filter_subarunet_posting-page-002.jpg

oil_filter_subarunet_posting-page-003.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back