2013 Silverado 5.3l oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stchman

GM as of 2011 requires dexos1 licensed oil in their gasoline engines. All dexos1 licensed oil is either full or a synthetic blend.

Since the price between full and synthetic blends is minimal, I just go with full synthetic Mobil 1.

Okay thanks, I didn't know that.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Just curious, why's the truck have to have full synthetic?

GM as of 2011 requires dexos1 licensed oil in their gasoline engines. All dexos1 licensed oil is either full or a synthetic blend.

Since the price between full and synthetic blends is minimal, I just go with full synthetic Mobil 1.

The changed happened AFTER 2011...the owners manual in my dad's 2011 Suburban "recommends" the dexos1 approved oil, but does not require it. For 2011, its any API licensed 5w30 oil.

To take the guess work out of it for potential warranty concerns, we run PP 5w30 and never look back.

I have seen some Dexos oils in oil change kits for $25 with a filter, think it was Quaker State or something like that.

That one requires Dexos.
Originally Posted By: DodgeRamz2007
Hello everyone,

It is time to do the first oil change on my wife's 5.3l Silverado. Wondering if anyone has this vehicle and if so, is there an oil which is better suited for this engine? I have heard a lot of people say this oil make my engine loud and this is best etc. My 4.7l Ram runs the same on any oil I put in it.

I plan on running a Fram Ultra filter. I am thinking M1, PP, or QSUD for her 5.3l. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

She typically drives short trips with some 20 milers put in the mix. For the most part, city driving and all it entails.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I've been using Pennzoil Platinum in two 5.3 liter GM trucks for years. No worries, no problems. I change it according to the OLM, and life is good.

However, I am giving serious consideration to using the Dexos-1 approved Pennzoil 5w-30 Synthetic Blend in both.

I use Purolator filters on both, the longer length version.

Pennzoil Ultra would be overkill in these engines, unless you're beating it like a rented mule on a daily basis.

I've got a 99 with a 5.3. Does that longer filter stick down below the oil pan or is it short enough to be completely sheltered and is it possible for it to get impacted by driving over deep snow and mud

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I've been using Pennzoil Platinum in two 5.3 liter GM trucks for years. No worries, no problems. I change it according to the OLM, and life is good.

However, I am giving serious consideration to using the Dexos-1 approved Pennzoil 5w-30 Synthetic Blend in both.

I use Purolator filters on both, the longer length version.

Pennzoil Ultra would be overkill in these engines, unless you're beating it like a rented mule on a daily basis.

Just changed oil for first time (changed 486 miles- felt bit gritty & amber when flowed out)- picked the Penzoil synthetic blend 5w30 and used the Purolator 122222 (don't know if two many two's but you get the point); what is the number of the longer length version of Purolator- know about it been shown that before but didn't say that in book @ Walmart (optional longer length Purolator).

On side note, saw Noack on this oil at 'upper level acceptance' for dexos 1, being 14.0 (I think if remember correct) whereas the PU something like 6.6 (again if remember correct); but with shorter OCI I think OK.

Why is everyone so scared to run a non DEXOS oil?they have to [censored] prove it was the oils fault for a failure.. Which they won't if ya atleast change it..

Y'all are all falling in the DEXOS scare tactic trick.

Last edited:
Well, the non-dexos I used for my non-dexos truck before was $14.99 Warner petrolium @ kmart (that was their spectrum, but Kmart swtiched to SuperS smitty's where I am at- manager told me old supplier couldn't supply enough). For this Penzoil Synthetic Blend 5w30 that I just got at Walmart- cost $19.68. So that is just under $5 diff.

I can do a $5 diff (some 5.3l's had a oil consumption issue- so at least try dexos)- besides hadn't used Penzoil since was in a metal can with a 'shove on' metal spout. They say is better now in 'numbers' showing- so give it a try. Thought this through before buying dexos oil requiring truck (5.3l 2013). Penzoil copied valvoline, also has warranty too.

I have no problem with the dexos spec standard. I just don't feel like I have to buy only products that have the dexos seal of approval. There are a lot of oils that meet or exceed these specs, and my position was developed by my owner's manual to my 2013 Silverado stating.... "or equivalent". Therefore, I feel no compulsion to limit myself to only the dexos approved list.

Besides, some forget, that it is just a guaranteed MINIMUM standard, and is no guarantee that these are the best engine oils available. I understand why many would limit themselves to the list, and have no problem with that, as if I could not get what I want to use, there are several brands on the list I would consider.

Please name some good synthetic oils without the actual approval that meet or exceed DEXOS 1 ?

Valvoline Synpower, Pennzoil Ultra, redline, Amsoil, supertech (maybe). A few others are out there just don't feel like thinking that hard

Last edited:
Schaeffer 9003D 5w30 full synthetic, which I use. Mystik JT-8 5w30 full synthetic is another another good oil value that meets GM 4718M, GM 6094M, and dexos 1 just like the Schaeffer product I use. Both of these oils are very well priced.

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
Why is everyone so scared to run a non DEXOS oil?they have to [censored] prove it was the oils fault for a failure.. Which they won't if ya atleast change it..

Y'all are all falling in the DEXOS scare tactic trick.

Thing is dexos licensed oils are no more expensive than non-dexos oil, so no reason to use non-dexos oil on an engine that calls for it.

Depends on brand as to whether dexos licensed oils are no more expensive and how one buys them. In my case, I order up a case of 5w30 along with my normal commercial trucking order of oil and lubes from Schaeffer. Everything gets shipped free to the house. Kinda hard to beat that with a full synthetic licensed dexos product off the store shelf. Not too many stores will sell a full synthetic dexos licensed product to my at the price I get the Schaeffer product at, and ship it to me for free. Even a local store, I have to burn up a few gallons of fuel to go to town to buy the oil, and I won't get it at a better price than I do now. And I get hit for the state sales tax for sure, but I do not get hit for the inflated local sales tax at the next town over where the stores are. Several wins in this deal.

901Memphis, as an aside- just sold 2000 Taurus wagon (24v) & just finished fixing (AC compressor+, windows, added tranny cooler) our 1999 Buick LS 3.8l. The truck new with whatever oil came with (2013 5.3l) got 20.7 mpg. Changed oil (Penzoil Synthetic Blend 5w30) @ 486 miles (break in), drove same, got 19.3 & 19.9 mpg (gassing after 400 miles)- so can try a change- in prior truck (4.3l v6) oil used could make big diff. in mpg (actually got best combo power+mileage w/Kmart/Sears Spectrum (Warner Petrol.) & still don't know why).

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Depends on brand as to whether dexos licensed oils are no more expensive and how one buys them. In my case, I order up a case of 5w30 along with my normal commercial trucking order of oil and lubes from Schaeffer. Everything gets shipped free to the house. Kinda hard to beat that with a full synthetic licensed dexos product off the store shelf. Not too many stores will sell a full synthetic dexos licensed product to my at the price I get the Schaeffer product at, and ship it to me for free. Even a local store, I have to burn up a few gallons of fuel to go to town to buy the oil, and I won't get it at a better price than I do now. And I get hit for the state sales tax for sure, but I do not get hit for the inflated local sales tax at the next town over where the stores are. Several wins in this deal.

Most of us aren't buying a 55 gallon drum of oil so I'm quite sure there's a discount when purchased in volume.
And we've got distributors here who will do the same thing so it's not like you've got something special going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back