2013 Pentastar oil requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you'll find the current Dodge owner's manual to be pretty basic and there's no warranty booklet included (for the States anyway). You have to call for a copy or print it out online.

There is an interval chart for the trans, but it's considered one of the lovely "sealed for life" units. The current GC 62TE does have the dipstick tube. Just has a twist lock cap on it that says "dealer only". LOL.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Interesting. I keep hearing that thinner runs cooler... but I have a hard time buying that.

Can you elaborate or provide links on the head cooling issue for reference?

Google it, brah!
smile.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2353060

I would use the 5W-20 at the required API spec in conventional flavor to save money and change it at the OLM or manual-specified interval. They've taken your use cases into consideration when engineering this recommendation. The 0W-anything won't buy you anything but a lighter wallet.

FWIW,
I think this engine is known for "using oil". A few of my JEEP buddy's have JK's (newer wranglers) and they ALL use oil.

Originally Posted By: wsar10
FWIW,
I think this engine is known for "using oil". A few of my JEEP buddy's have JK's (newer wranglers) and they ALL use oil.

The 07-11 with the 3.8 DRINK oil.

12+ with the 3.6 don't have consumption issues, but the left head starts tapping.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
FWIW,

12+ with the 3.6 don't have consumption issues, but the left head starts tapping.

OK,
I wasn't sure exactly what motor it was, that makes sense cuz they are all 3 rubicon's and IIRC the rubi's were the 3.8's

OK,
I wasn't sure exactly what motor it was, that makes sense cuz they are all 3 rubicon's and IIRC the rubi's were the 3.8's

Every JK (regardless of trim level) from 2007 through 2011 had the 3.8L V-6 with either the 42RLE 4-speed auto or the NSG370 6-speed manual.

Every JK from 2012 to current uses the 3.6L Pentastar V-6 with either the W5A580 5-speed auto or the same NSG380 6-speed manual.

The only exception is 2.8L turbodiesel Wranglers, but these were not sold in the United States.

Well 5w20 it is! That makes it cheap and easy... our local WM periodically has PYB, VWB or QSGB on sale for $12 a jug.

I didn't realize the caravan takes 6 quarts!! So it'll need more than just the one jug per oil change.

Local dodge dealer wants $16 (taxes in) for their cartridge filter!!!
crazy2.gif

Looks like I can find the OEM filter much cheaper on ebay for less than half that.

The car does have the OLM. We'll have to wait and see what the OCI is.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Yep! Cheap oil in an expensive vehicle.

I should have used the term 'inexpensive', to avoid the syn junkies
grin.gif

I've been here long enough, and read enough UOA, to know that dino will work just fine.

My dad's pontiac 6000 went 360,000 KM on SF/SG spec'd oil, and the engine was strong, no smoke and didn't burn oil when he sold it... but that can't be true... it just can't
grin.gif

My owner's manual says to change by the OLM and 16000km or 1 year max.

They run pretty cool I think, it was 30C coming home yesterday and the oil never got past 93C. I'm not too worried about the 5w20 but then I won't be towing with it either.

Congrats on the new ride man!!

Last edited:
Well 5w20 it is! That makes it cheap and easy... our local WM periodically has PYB, VWB or QSGB on sale for $12 a jug.

I didn't realize the caravan takes 6 quarts!! So it'll need more than just the one jug per oil change.

Any of those will work just fine. Just make sure is has the Chrysler MS-6395 spec on the bottle. That leaves Mobil products out, but most other major brands should have it. By the way, there are currently coupons available from WM for $5 Valvoline 5 quart jugs.

crazy2.gif

Looks like I can find the OEM filter much cheaper on ebay for less than half that.

YIKES! I didn't price the filter yet...

Originally Posted By: JTK
crazy2.gif

YIKES! I didn't price the filter yet...

I picked up a purolator L36135 at WM tonight for $4.88, and compared it to the OEM from the parts counter and they were *identical*. I'll be going with the Purolator.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

Any of those will work just fine. Just make sure is has the Chrysler MS-6395 spec on the bottle. That leaves Mobil products out, but most other major brands should have it. By the way, there are currently coupons available from WM for $5 Valvoline 5 quart jugs.

I'll have to get in the habit of looking for that spec. I've passed right over them consistently in the past, along with ford's specs.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
FWIW,

OK,

My parents deal with the garbage 3.8 for 4 years. finally it started knocking all the time on them and could barely get out of its own way.

They'll never own another chrysler product. Ever.

Filter cartridge at my dealership is $6.00 got a NAPA gold for around $5.00. The switch to 5W-20 is for a fraction of a percent increase in fuel economy. The 3.6 is very easy on oil. My 2012 calls for 5W30 and the oil temp has never been over 190 degrees, it usually stays around 180 to 185. I say get a top shelf 5W20 that is Chrysler certified and roll on. PU, PP QSUD or Kendall would all serve you well. I did a UOA on my Jeep w/PU and all wear metals were below universal averages @9k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back