2013 Pentastar oil requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased. I haven't read the manual yet, but the oil cap says 5w20. Their smaller car the 'dart' states 0w20 on the oil cap. Why wouldn't the pentastar also state 0w20/5w20?

I was thinking of running 0w30 in it along with my subaru and call it a day. I didn't realize the 2013 pentastar went to a 20 weight.

Since this engine will be used for towing, I'm not sure I want to run a 20 weight in it. Thoughts from those that have experience with this engine?

2012 called for 5W30, 2013 calls for 5W20. I'm certain 0w20, 5W20, 0W30, or 5W30 would work fine. However I would stick to their recommendation and use 5W20 while you're under warranty.

I would use what is specified, and certainly while under warranty. It probably says something that the Pentastar has been out for some years now, and Chrysler is comfortable with changing the recommended grade. Those decisions don't come without a lot of consideration, and there's still likely a good amount of buffer in there.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
2012 called for 5W30, 2013 calls for 5W20. I'm certain 0w20, 5W20, 0W30, or 5W30 would work fine. However I would stick to their recommendation and use 5W20 while you're under warranty.

I guess it removes the requirement for a more expensive 0w20 syn. There haven't been many pentastar UOAs to glean information from.

There are millions of Ford modular V8s out there that have racked up hundreds of thousands of miles each on 5w-20 oil without any failures.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
There are millions of Ford modular V8s out there that have racked up hundreds of thousands of miles each on 5w-20 oil without any failures.

Understood. I would feel better if there were millions of pentastar engines that have done the same
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: webfors

I guess it removes the requirement for a more expensive 0w20 syn. There haven't been many pentastar UOAs to glean information from.

A few years back when I bought my Liberty which specs 5W20 I called and asked Chrysler Corporate if I could use 0W20, and their answer was a flat out NO!!!!!!! They told me to use 5W20 ONLY, or risk warranty issues if they were oil related.

I believe the reason they switched was for head cooling issues. The 5w-30 didn't seem to cool the head as well.

Interesting. I keep hearing that thinner runs cooler... but I have a hard time buying that.

Can you elaborate or provide links on the head cooling issue for reference?

I believe the reason they switched was for head cooling issues. The 5w-30 didn't seem to cool the head as well.

They also redesigned the head, twice.

A few years back when I bought my Liberty which specs 5W20 I called and asked Chrysler Corporate if I could use 0W20, and their answer was a flat out NO!!!!!!! They told me to use 5W20 ONLY, or risk warranty issues if they were oil related.

That can't possibly be based on science... but just policy. Weird.

They also redesigned the head, twice.

Does the 2013 have the latest revision LOL?

That can't possibly be based on science... but just policy. Weird.

+1 But they did make it perfectly clear as to what their policy was at the time.

I know of a fleet that has at least one Grand Caravan 2011 with 110,000 miles on it and still going strong.It had the head issues early on....twice.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I know of a fleet that has at least one Grand Caravan 2011 with 110,000 miles on it and still going strong.It had the head issues early on....twice.

The early problem engines got the bad head replaced with the same design head w/o modifications. In other words, an AA head was replaced with another AA head. They are now using AC heads. The AB head which was an improvement to the AA head was revised again.

Most of the 2013's have the AC head, although a few of the early builds are floating around with AB head.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY

The early problem engines got the bad head replaced with the same design head w/o modifications. In other words, an AA head was replaced with another AA head. They are now using AC heads. The AB head which was an improvement to the AA head was revised again.

Most of the 2013's have the AC head, although a few of the early builds are floating around with AB head.

Good to know. My 2013 Grand Caravan is a late 2013 build with the 17 inch tires. So I will assume it has the new/latest head revision.

Good to know. My 2013 Grand Caravan is a late 2013 build with the 17 inch tires. So I will assume it has the new/latest head revision.

I think you'll be fine! They had some early issues, but I think the engine is going to be a winner!

Good luck with it and drive it in good health!

Yeah it does. Supposedly mid 2012 was the latest revision. I've read of some Pentastar issues where owner's had either random or specific cyl misfires that were resolved by a new cylinder head. Thing is, the issue was mostly on the rear-wheel drive version of the Pentastar, and there's no specific info as to what actually happened with the head.

Regardless, I couldn't imagine the work involved in r/r a cylinder head on one of these DOHC monster timing chains.

Current Grand Caravan OCI recommendation is 5w20 and follow the OLM or 1yr, 10K mile max OCI. The filter cartriges are pretty good sized and they hold 6qts of oil. I wouldn't sweat 5w20 one bit.

Waitn' for your dipstickless 62TE thread next.. LOL!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK

Yeah it does. Supposedly mid 2012 was the latest revision. I've read of some Pentastar issues where owner's had either random or specific cyl misfires that were resolved by a new cylinder head. Thing is, the issue was mostly on the rear-wheel drive version of the Pentastar, and there's no specific info as to what actually happened with the head.

Regardless, I couldn't imagine the work involved in r/r a cylinder head on one of these DOHC monster timing chains.

Current Grand Caravan OCI recommendation is 5w20 and follow the OLM or 1yr, 10K mile max OCI. The filter cartriges are pretty good sized and they hold 6qts of oil. I wouldn't sweat 5w20 one bit.

Waitn' for your dipstickless 62TE thread next.. LOL!!

LOL, I noticed in the showroom there was no dipstick for the tranny. What's the recommended interval for the tranny fluid dump and fill?

I'm not sure if the canadian version has an OLM... I'll have to check into that. This will be my first car with an OLM if that's the case.

I just called the dealer to swing by and pick up the manual today. I'm sure a lot of my Qs are answered there. Delivery of the van is next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back