2013 Elantra 55k miles of using Pennzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mazzella1992
Quite honestly, I don't really care what anybody has to say about my early OCI's. It's my choice to do them, just like it's anybody else's choice not to. As i clearly stated in my post, i'm well aware that it is not anywhere near necessary. And to be completely honest surfstar, the car has had 3 trans fluid changes, I change the brake fluid every year, and the coolant was done once at 19k miles, again at 40k miles, and I had the dealer do a full flush on it while it was there, because why not. I'm not exactly concerned with the money you think i am "wasting". My car, my choice. Flame on if you wish, but i'm not worried about a 27 dollar jug of oil and a 6 dollar filter. BTW the dealer good willed the tear down. so no out of pocket for pme there

I don't know how many times I've seen anal guys end up wadding their cars up. So the meticulous maintenance is for naught.

I wish I could go to 2K OCI's on my '99. The last 5 OCI's were in the range of 500-750 miles each (Mobil 1 5w-30 oil and filter). So don't feel bad. If anyone wants to drive down and pick up my 6 qts of used Mobil 1 oil in May (est 1K miles) feel free to do so.

If you're paying $27 per jug of PP you can do better using the next set of Pennzoil $10-$12 rebates that come out a couple times per year. The Auto Zone clearance sale in December can get you synthetics at $2/qt. And then you have the AAP sales where they offer 5 qts of QSUD + filter for $20 (then $10 rebate via QS). So set your sights on synthetic oil at $2/qt and welcome to Bitog.

I've read here & elsewhere that it can take a few thousands miles into the OCI for the add packs to activate fully. The 2,000 mile OCI's may not be helping.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I've read here & elsewhere that it can take a few thousands miles into the OCI for the add packs to activate fully. The 2,000 mile OCI's may not be helping.

I mentioned that earlier, good to see someone else read it.

That's definitely a nice looking Elantra. Definitely overkill on the oil changes, but it's your car.

I've got the two door version. I've got the 2.0L GDI engine rather than the 1.8. I'm sticking to the recommended 7500 mile OCI. Currently has Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30 in it, but next oil change I'll be switching to my new stash of PUP 0W-40 from the Auto Zone clearance.

Here are a couple pics of mine.

Hydraulic valve lash adjusters will sometimes tick off and on in fits, as they pump up, then lose pressure sometimes due to getting worn.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
That's definitely a nice looking Elantra. Definitely overkill on the oil changes, but it's your car.

I've got the two door version. I've got the 2.0L GDI engine rather than the 1.8. I'm sticking to the recommended 7500 mile OCI. Currently has Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30 in it, but next oil change I'll be switching to my new stash of PUP 0W-40 from the Auto Zone clearance.

Here are a couple pics of mine.

Nice!

I used to go to great lengths to try and keep my vehicles looking good and clean. Then I had kids. I gave up soon after that
lol.gif

Those rims complement the car nicely. Good looking ride OP.

I'd personally stretch the OCI's to 7.5k, but stick with synthetic. That is still an overkill since the OM only requires a SM GF-5 something at 7.5k intervals. Their requirements are very lenient.

we have a detail forum, so you will be in good hands....(i mean extra clean shinny no speckle of dust hands)

P.S.yeah, i washed my yaris once (last year) and the interior would not get me any pass if any landlord would judge me by that....

P.S. to P.S. some guys said "wait till' you got kids". i have 2 detail friends, very good at it, with family: they just close their eyes while passing through the "kids-war-zone"

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Mazzella1992
Quite honestly, I don't really care what anybody has to say about my early OCI's. It's my choice to do them, just like it's anybody else's choice not to. As i clearly stated in my post, i'm well aware that it is not anywhere near necessary. And to be completely honest surfstar, the car has had 3 trans fluid changes, I change the brake fluid every year, and the coolant was done once at 19k miles, again at 40k miles, and I had the dealer do a full flush on it while it was there, because why not. I'm not exactly concerned with the money you think i am "wasting". My car, my choice. Flame on if you wish, but i'm not worried about a 27 dollar jug of oil and a 6 dollar filter. BTW the dealer good willed the tear down. so no out of pocket for pme there

I don't know how many times I've seen anal guys end up wadding their cars up. So the meticulous maintenance is for naught.

THIS x1000. "But wait, I washed my Elantra every two days and I cut one of the cats off. How can it be a total?!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back