2013 dodge Grand caravan slight misfire?

Our van has been doing this slight bucking while driving it's not severe and hasn't thrown and engine light. Plugs are new oem plugs. Misfire counter shows a few misfires on cylinders 2, 3, 5.
Usually less than 10 each time we drive. At idle it kind of feels rough intermittently as well. Gas mileage is about 18 and 1/2 fuel trims look good plus or minus 3. The van has 107,000 miles on it we bought it at 104,000.
Compression test was done by me this morning. Fuel and spark disabled all plugs removed engine was cold.
Readings were as follows.
Cyl 1 142
Cyl 2 148
Cyl 3 130
Cyl 4 132
Cyl 5 135
Cyl 6 138

My dad's '13 300 3.6 Pentastar needed both cylinder heads replaced due to failing a leak down test at 77k and 97k

I'd start with a leak down test before spending much more money

What symptoms did he have? I need to buy a leak down tester I guess. Wouldn't the compression be lower if it had a valve or ring issue? I cannot find a definitive answer on what the compression should be.
My dad's '13 300 3.6 Pentastar needed both cylinder heads replaced due to failing a leak down test at 77k and 97k

I'd start with a leak down test before spending much more money

Last edited:
What symptoms did he have? I need to buy a leak down tester I guess. Wouldn't the compression be lower if it had a valve or ring issue? I cannot find a definitive answer on what the compression should be.

1) FCA Pentastar Cylinder Head Failure
This is a good problem to knock out first since it’s primarily an issue on early 2011-2013 Pentastar engines. Some early 3.6L V6’s ran into cylinder head failures on the left bank. The underlying cause is overheating of the valve seats on cylinder #2. Fiat-Chrysler resolved the issue in mid-2013 with hardened valve guides and seats. They also did their best to make it right for customers. FCA extended the 3.6L Pentastar warranty to 10 years or 150,000 miles for the left cylinder heads on 2011, 2012, and some 2013 models.

It appears the Jeep Wrangler was the most prone to the 3.6L Pentastar cylinder head problems. However, the issue affected many various models. The good news is most FCA Pentastar engines should still be covered under the extended warranty. That or the problems were already fixed

Reactions: JTK

This is a good problem to knock out first since it’s primarily an issue on early 2011-2013 Pentastar engines. Some early 3.6L V6’s ran into cylinder head failures on the left bank. The underlying cause is overheating of the valve seats on cylinder #2. Fiat-Chrysler resolved the issue in mid-2013 with hardened valve guides and seats. They also did their best to make it right for customers. FCA extended the 3.6L Pentastar warranty to 10 years or 150,000 miles for the left cylinder heads on 2011, 2012, and some 2013 models.

It appears the Jeep Wrangler was the most prone to the 3.6L Pentastar cylinder head problems. However, the issue affected many various models. The good news is most FCA Pentastar engines should still be covered under the extended warranty. That or the problems were already fixed
I had wondered if this could be it. But how would I know? How would I know if the valve seat is messed up.
Tonight driving it home it stuttered several times counted 19 misfires all on cylinder 2.

I had wondered if this could be it. But how would I know? How would I know if the valve seat is messed up.
Tonight driving it home it stuttered several times counted 19 misfires all on cylinder 2.
The official way to check is a leak down test per their TSB, I’m surprised it’s not throwing a code though.

I had an EGR valve cause an issue like that only cost about $75.
No EGR valve on the 3.6 Pentastar.

1649683105763.jpg

HF sells their Maddox and it appears to be a quality piece (I never used the one I purchased-- wound up not needing it) but the OTC has been out much longer, seems just as good and is less expensive.

I ranted in the tool forum repeatedly that I feel HF is just trying to make the consumer believe their new lines (like Maddox) are awesome because they're relatively expensive; if it costs a lot, it must be good, right???? I was unwilling to reward their approach here and returned the unneeded Maddox and ordered an OTC based on principle.

Rant over and following because I am curious what you eventually find. I swear I hear the 3.6 in my '19 JL hiccup a few times just after start-up so I like tracking Pentastar problems. I almost don't want to put a reader on it because I'm not sure I want to know if it's logging misfires LOL

The official way to check is a leak down test per their TSB, I’m surprised it’s not throwing a code though.

No EGR valve on the 3.6 Pentastar.
If the cylinder has a problem wouldn't it of had lower compression? Doesn't a leak down just point to where the loss of compression is?

Called dodge today and they said our van didn't fall into the extended warranty. The build date is 2012 but apparently this doesn't apply 😡 I dislike car companies 🤷

Reactions: JC1
Pulled the valve covers all the rockers look good and passed the wiggle test.

Reactions: JC1
I didn't see anything wrong with the coil but I do go ahead and replace it with a Bosch coil and I threw a bottle of techron in the tank. 🤷

FIL van had this issue, his manifested as a misfire at idle mostly and eventually the ECU picked up on it and threw a MIL. He had a 2011 bought from a dealer as a lease return from Enterprise at 35k I think. That van lasted well into the 200k with just regular maintenance aside from the solenoids in the transmission & a few coolant leaks.

The dealer replaced the cylinder head a year of so after they got it. Left their fancy timing chain holder in the an as well. 😂

Well replaced the coil, plug and injector and it has the same issue. Definitely seems to be more prevalent after its been driven for 15-20 minutes. Once its good and warm it'll act up. 🤷

Back