2013 Courtesy Car

In the market for a new compact (ish) SUV. Came across a 2023 near-luxury model with less than 3,000 miles that had been used as a dealer courtesy car. Being sold by original dealer, full factory warranty plus whatever extra protection comes with CPO status. About 20%
discount from original MSRP. 20% doesn’t seem like a lot given it’s 1 or 2 model years old, but with only 3,000 miles…

Assuming cosmetics are fine and it drives well, what about the whole “courtesy car” background? The make generally attracts more mature drivers so I wouldn’t expect abuse, but I guess you never know. In particular, while engine break-in seems to be much less of an issue now than it was 10 or 20 years ago it’s unlikely this would’ve been broken-in with extreme care.

Impossible question I know, but would you give this real consideration or just stay away?

Last edited:
Is this possibly a 2023 and not a 2013? The remaining warranty makes a 2013 hard to understand, but works for a 2023.

2013? You'd also have to consider 11 year old rubbers, seals, suspension, belts, etc

Back in the late 90's, I bought a courtesy car from the local Chevy dealer. Similar mileage to what you are looking at. One of the best deals I ever made as I had it for over 12 years and put about 120,000 miles on it. Nothing ever done except tires, bakes and oil changes basically. Go for it!!!

I wouldn't buy it unless it had a wrap with giant letters saying "Courtesy Car" and the dealers name. 2' high letters are a must! j/k

Customers are made to sign an agreement to not drive over X miles.
The boiler plate includes all manner of "you're responsible" language.
So, yes, it's tantalizing.

That you've been successful in being so secretive regarding the make and model of this vehicle over 10 posts makes me suspicious of the voracity of your claims.

VIN, or it hasn't happened.

Customers are made to sign an agreement to not drive over X miles.
The boiler plate includes all manner of "you're responsible" language.
So, yes, it's tantalizing.

That you've been successful in being so secretive regarding the make and model of this vehicle over 10 posts makes me suspicious of the voracity of your claims.

VIN, or it hasn't happened.

What do you mean by "courtesy car"? The ones in which they take you to the train station after you drop off a car at service?

Mostly for use by customers when their car is in for service. The 3,000 miles accumulated over 3-4 months, so fairly active.

That's a "loaner" car.

Semantics, I guess. I expect the car could be used as a replacement for a vehicle in for service (“loaner”) or to squire folks to the train or work (“courtesy car”). Either way, the question is whether such use means buying it is a bad idea.

While I don’t know that these bits of information are crucial, it’s a 2023 Acura RDX and the asking price is both about 20% less than original MSRP and the best price I could negotiate on the same 2024 model. Hate to have the veracity of my claims seem suspicious…

Semantics, I guess. I expect the car could be used as a replacement for a vehicle in for service (“loaner”) or to squire folks to the train or work (“courtesy car”). Either way, the question is whether such use means buying it is a bad idea.

While I don’t know that these bits of information are crucial, it’s a 2023 Acura RDX and the asking price is both about 20% less than original MSRP and the best price I could negotiate on the same 2024 model. Hate to have the veracity of my claims seem suspicious…
Those types of details are important because a “good deal” drastically ranges from vehicle to vehicle. Hybrids right now pull a premium over MSRP. Trucks, non-hybrids and EVs are easy to get well below MSRP in most markets nowadays.

Because I don’t know where “.” is, I’m going to assume you are in Reston, VA (geek humor). Looks like in Reston, VA, anyone can walk in a get at least 10% off MSRP on a brand new 2024 RDX using Truecar. Because of this, an additional 10% discount for a one year old loaner car (read: daily rental!), is not a good deal in my opinion. Truecar pricing should be always viewed as a ceiling so you can likely get a new RDX for 10-20% discount off of MSRP.

Couple of questions: are they selling this as “new”? You mention CPO which typically means preowned. Does the state you live in require them to title the car for that use? If so that makes it a little more ‘used’ and ought to get little more off price. Also, being a 2023 how long has dealer had it? Check the mft date on the body—they surely have had to had it a fair amt of time also increasing their desire to move it.
My current vehicle was a BMW X5 courtesy car. It was mft in Sept 2017 and I bought it at end of Jan 2018 with 4500 miles. Bought it as new as I got the origin cert from dealer. I got approximately the same percent off you reference and haven’t had any issues. My opinion is people will treat these cars a little more gently than a rental one so should not have been ‘rodded’. Good luck.

Back