2013 civic si honda oil filter vs K&N

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently took advantage of the 5 quart for 33.00 for Castrol 0w20 titanium....plus k&n oil filter..I already have a Honda filter....Benefits to either? I have always tended to go with OEM filters....but the k&n was basically free.
opinions?
I want plenty of flow...the IVTEC like it that way!!

Both filters will most likely flow way more than your engine can put through the filter. A very restrictive oil filter may be able to be "seen" (as slightly lower oil pressure at red line) if your engine is living at red line a lot.

Otherwise, a positive displacement oil pump will force all the volume leaving the pump through the oil filter and through the engine's oiling circuit as long as the oil pump is not in pressure relief. You would need pretty thick oil and near or at red line RPM for that to occur.

It's always a good idea to keep the engine revs modestly low until the oil is fully warmed up ... then let 'er rip. This will really help to keep the oil pump out of pressure relief and the filter from going into bypass.

The KN filters are higher efficiency than Honda so better to use the higher efficiency filter imo. If the KN is stamped made in Korea it's mid 80s efficiency and is the newer but lower efficiency stock. If it's stamped made in the USA it's mid 90s efficiency and better old stock. I'm not sure about the made in Mexico filters I think they are higher than made in Korea.

Iirc Honda filters arm lower efficiency to be able to handle two intervals but you would prefer better efficiency for a shorter drain even though the KN should easily handle two fci.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The KN filters are higher efficiency than Honda so better to use the higher efficiency filter imo. If the KN is stamped made in Korea it's mid 80s efficiency and is the newer but lower efficiency stock. If it's stamped made in the USA it's mid 90s efficiency and better old stock. I'm not sure about the made in Mexico filters I think they are higher than made in Korea.

Iirc Honda filters arm lower efficiency to be able to handle two intervals but you would prefer better efficiency for a shorter drain even though the KN should easily handle two fci.

Filter says....made in mexico

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Both filters will most likely flow way more than your engine can put through the filter. A very restrictive oil filter may be able to be "seen" (as slightly lower oil pressure at red line) if your engine is living at red line a lot.

Otherwise, a positive displacement oil pump will force all the volume leaving the pump through the oil filter and through the engine's oiling circuit as long as the oil pump is not in pressure relief. You would need pretty thick oil and near or at red line RPM for that to occur.

It's always a good idea to keep the engine revs modestly low until the oil is fully warmed up ... then let 'er rip. This will really help to keep the oil pump out of pressure relief and the filter from going into bypass.

Agreed...I do allow engine to warm up before any significant driving at high rpm. Its a fun car, hard to beat it for cost...performance...reliability and all.

Either will be a good filter, I have read some review of the K&N having poor ADBV performance though, not sure if thats true or not. I can vouch for the Honda OEM though, great filter. Less than stellar efficiency but thats what Honda specs so you will be fine. After you get through your stash I would go with Fram Ultras.

Originally Posted By: disneyfire
I recently took advantage of the 5 quart for 33.00 for Castrol 0w20 titanium....plus k&n oil filter..I already have a Honda filter....Benefits to either? I have always tended to go with OEM filters....but the k&n was basically free.
opinions?

I do not like K&N Filters.. I cut open up and posted pics and I was not impressed and I got mine FREE also via a deal.. and to think people pay 14$ for them....

They just making $ off the name K&N.

Im sure any Napa Gold would be better.. I have no data to prove this.. but just how I feel.

Or even Honda A02 would be better ... again have no data to prove that... but they way I feel.

Only way i feel K&N are worth buying is if you have a car with a filter that is hard to get to and you end up burning yourself or you simple takes you a hour to to get it OFF..

b.c the K&N has that nut on the bottom that does make it easy to remove the filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: disneyfire
opinions?

I do not like K&N Filters.. I cut open up and posted pics and I was not impressed and I got mine FREE also via a deal.. and to think people pay 14$ for them....

They just making $ off the name K&N.

Im sure any Napa Gold would be better.. I have no data to prove this.. but just how I feel.

Or even Honda A02 would be better ... again have no data to prove that... but they way I feel.

Only way i feel K&N are worth buying is if you have a car with a filter that is hard to get to and you end up burning yourself or you simple takes you a hour to to get it OFF..

b.c the K&N has that nut on the bottom that does make it easy to remove the filter.

On the Civic S.I. forum..I found a fellow that hated K&N's but loved Mobil-1 filters......ODD, cause they are 100% the same except for the nut on the K&N filter. I'll use it and then see. A lot of folks do use them on the Civic S.I. boards.....I change my oil every 5k so........probably a non issue

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back