2013 Camry ATF Flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Camry SE with 61,000 miles on it. I have an extended warranty good until 75K miles. For piece of mind I would like to get the ATF flushed, Toyota dealer wants $239.99, I can get it cheaper at a Firestone shop that uses Pennzoil Platinum LV Multi-Vehicle ATF while Toyota recommends Toyota Genuine WS ATF. The Pennzoil website says it's compatible with WS. Any opinions?

Don't get it "flushed". I would drain and fill only, and personally I would go OEM on the fluid.

I don't flush, either---just pan drops, filter changes, and refills. My '02 Camry has 271K on it, and our '11 2WD Highlander (probably the same 6-speed auto as your Camry) has 137K miles on it, and both vehicles shift smoothly. Both use aftermarket ATF (MaxLife and Amsoil SS LV, respectively), so there's no need to stick with WS; I'd assume that Pennzoil ATF would be fine. The transmission shop that does my Highlander's changes has told me that, using the Amsoil fluid, there's been next to nothing in the pan or filter, and, hence, I can go 50K between fluid and filter changes. I expect both transmissions will make it past 300K miles without more invasive work.

Do not machine flush a transmission. A simple drain and fill is sufficient. These transmissions have a drain plug.

Pennzoil LV will be fine. There is nothing wrong with it. Castrol Synthetic ATF is also very good stuff. And of course, the popular Maxlife ATF will work, too.

Originally Posted By: loub
I have a 2013 Camry SE with 61,000 miles on it. I have an extended warranty good until 75K miles. For piece of mind I would like to get the ATF flushed, Toyota dealer wants $239.99, I can get it cheaper at a Firestone shop that uses Pennzoil Platinum LV Multi-Vehicle ATF while Toyota recommends Toyota Genuine WS ATF. The Pennzoil website says it's compatible with WS. Any opinions?

I'll go against the grain and advise you to do a flush, but have it done by the dealer with the proper fluid that is approved by Toyota and not compatable according to the ATF manufacturer. The dealer has the machine & the equipment to ensure that the fluid going in is at the correct temperature which is critical to reach the proper level. I've always done flushes and never had a problem on any of my vehicles, admittedly I do this every 50K Km, but even in your situation I don't think that you's have to worry. Weigh the consequences of the charge by the dealer vs possible repair costs.

Last edited:
It's a sealed transmission and according to YouTube and Toyota websites you have go through a " nightmarish " procedure with correct temperatures, etc. to refill it properly. I'm old and don't want to go through the hassle!

There is no drain plug and google 2013 Camry ATF drain and refill if you don't believe me!

Have the Toyota dealer do it and see if they would like you to drop it off the night before. That way it might be easier to get the level correct since it's been sitting overnight.

Had to believe it doesn't have a drain bolt + level combo.? Pl. share a picture of the bottom of the pan.
Now even if it didn't have a drain bolt, if you are mechanically inclined and know where the fill plug is, then a return line flush in your garage is simple and doable. Have the transmission push out old fluid and fill back the same amount on a cold engine.

I apologize for not being more specific! Please see " Toyota transaxle fluid level check- No dipstick " on YouTube.com. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Don't get it "flushed". I would drain and fill only, and personally I would go OEM on the fluid.

+1

It's a fairly simple drain and fill for a DIYer. Simply drain when transmission is at ambient temp, measure and replace with same amount of new fluid. You'll only get about 2 quarts but if done annually is sufficient. This is what I do to wife's 11 Camry and eventually to my 17 Camry.

Last edited:
Spill and fill.
Do it a couple of time over a month or so.

Edit: You only have 61K. Once is good; perhaps 2 is better...
At 1st I was thinking you had one of those bazillion-mile-no-service transmissions.

I would use that Idemitsu WS stuff.
That's what I am gonna use in our GS300.
Or Max-Life. Or Toyletta WS. All good.

It ain't that hard; you might enjoy it.
I bought one of those BlueTooth scanner/readers for the module port.

Last edited:
I currently use PP LV in my Honda and it shifts exactly like OEM, but the fluid seems to be more durable than OEM; OEM shifts became sloppy after towing a boat for a few thousand miles, but no problems with the PPLV. I would not hesitate to use PPLV in your car. Howevet, I would wonder whether the Firestone tech uses the correct procedure to replace the ATF. Same for dealer techs, for that matter. Hopefully your experience is better than mine...Honda service tech even screwed up a wheel alignment a few years ago!

Originally Posted By: loub

Even though the price is higher, I would have the dealership (vice Firestone) do a full ATF fluid exchange with OEM WS fluid.

Thanks to all for your opinions and advice! I will probably go with newton CD8 suggestion and wait for a coupon.

Has anyone seen a machine that uses fluid under pressure to flush? It's always warned against yet I've seen its existence questioned... I've heard of the machines that hook up to the cooler lines and simply put in new fluid while the old fluid pumps out, but I thought the engine was running to do that task.

I did a "flush" at 80k on my truck, changing most of the fluid; and then my 140kmile Camry got a full flush as its fluid was ugly. Both were fine. Both where pan drop first, refill, then start and pump out the cooler line.

Won't wade into the WS vs everyone else though.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back