2013 Accord Sport CVT with 5W30 past warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I switch from Honda Recommended 0W20 after the warranty to 5W30 in this engine? At least can I do this in the summer?

I live in Toronto.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Not sure why you would want to...

+2

That engine is optimized for a 20 grade oil. Switching to a 30 grade will provide ZERO benefit.

Yes you can switch and no it won't hurt your engine but there really is no need to do so as stated above. I can't think of a benefit of switching in that engine unless you found fuel dilution thinning the oil prematurely.

Originally Posted By: Anikiri
Can I switch from Honda Recommended 0W20 after the warranty to 5W30 in this engine?

Why? Do you have a large stash of some 5w-30 oil that you don't know what to do with?
lol.gif

If it is about cost, then why not go with a 5w-20? Plenty of brands to chose from at very reasonable costs.

That oil spec will work fine year round in any part of lower Canada.

Its a 2013 under warranty. Why are you itching so bad to use 5w-30? You can do it in the summer if you want to void your warranty.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Its a 2013 under warranty. Why are you itching so bad to use 5w-30? You can do it in the summer if you want to void your warranty.

The OP mentions that he is thinking about what to use AFTER the warranty expires.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: bvance554

The OP mentions that he is thinking about what to use AFTER the warranty expires.
wink.gif

Yes, I know. Just wondering why he is already asking a question like this when I assume it should be quite some time before his warranty expires.

I would be surprised if there will be any significant difference from the change in grade itself. But then who knows? This is a brand new GDI engine, perhaps tolerances or something else changed to call for a 20 grade oil? In any case, more significant improvement/degradation will be attributed to the change in oil brand name and type. To drive in Canada winter, I would have preferred 0W20 or 0W30 though.

Why? 0w20 is just fine for that engine? Do a UOA and see if there is any fuel dilution, if not just use 0w20. Once I use up my PU 5w20 in my 2006 Accord with the K24 engine, I am going to start running PP 0w20 in it. And my engine has 113K miles on it. I am not worried. Sure you can run a 5w30 in it if you want, but there will be no real benefit. That car will last 200,000 mi or more with the 0w20. Plus you WILL get poor gas mileage with the 5w30. The shop put 5w30 in mine once and I lost MPG big time.

Might be an availability issue...here in ontario, ive been hitting all the usual places looking for 0-20 since I picked up my 2013 accord - and aside from single quart bottles of at 0-20 at wally world @ $10 a pop - I just haven't seen 0-20 generally available up here...

The thing is I have a lot of 5W30 QSUD and also 0W20 is close to non-existant in Ontario. Plenty of 5W20 but no 0W20. I would have to drive to Buffalo to get any for a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back