2012 Subaru Outback - switch from conventional to synthetic blend

I recently purchased a one owner 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i with 152,000 miles.
The previous owner said 5w-30 conventional oil was used at all oil changes for the 10 years he owned the car.
I know he had the oil changes done at the Subaru dealer as well as other shops.

My question is - with 5w-30 conventional oil being hard to find would there be any concerns with switching to a quality 5w-30 synthetic blend high mileage oil?

Do it without worry. Some oils can burn off more than others, so check the level often. If a synthetic you find doesn't burn, use it. Maintenance is 1000x more important than brand of API certified fully synthetic oil.

Thank you for the replies and information so far.

I guess my biggest concern with switching to a synthetic blend would be causing leaks or seepage.

That engine is supposed to have 0W20 synthetic but using 5W30 synthetic because of the mileage should be ok.

The 2012 EJ253 specs 5w30 with xw40 above -20f. Mobil 1 0w40 or ESP 5w30 are excellent oils for these engines and will not cause leaks. It does address the lower oil pressure at idle due to the small 10mm oil pump, the oil light is set at 2.5lb on 0w20 the light would be flashing at every stop light. The synthetic will maintain its viscosity over a longer period.

The Napa Gold oil filter has the correct psi valve 23 psi.

This engine still has the timing belt and owners manual specifies 5w-30 conventional or 5w-30 synthetic for optimum performance.
I believe 2012 was the last year for the timing belt on the Subaru Outback 2.5i.
Yes, you’re right. The first year for the FB25 was in the 11 Forester. You have the EJ25. Synthetic oil should be ok. 5W30. Sorry for the misinformation.

This engine still has the timing belt and owners manual specifies 5w-30 conventional or 5w-30 synthetic for optimum performance.
I believe 2012 was the last year for the timing belt on the Subaru Outback 2.5i.

Since you have the EJ, of course you'll need the timing belt and water pump if they haven't been done recently. If you need to do it, get the Aisin kit.

Use Zerex Asian Blue, Pentofrost A3, or Peak OET Blue. Of course you can always use Genuine Subaru Coolant, but it does cost more. You also need Subaru Coolant Conditioner which is Holts Radweld. If you can't obtain it, you can also use a bottle of Blue Devil or half a bottle of Bars Leaks HG-1 head gasket sealer as your coolant conditioner. 150k is the time for a coolant change.

Like Trav said, Napa Gold (same as Wix) has the correct pressure, and so does Napa Platinum (Wix XP).

Yes, you’re right. The first year for the FB25 was in the 11 Forester. You have the EJ25. Synthetic oil should be ok. 5W30. Sorry for the misinformation.
The FB25 started in:
2011 for the Forester
2012 for the Impreza
2013 for the Legacy/Outback

Great information Trav & Slacktide!

Per maintenance invoices from previous owner:
Cooling system flush & service (doesn't look like conditioner was added), timing belt was replaced (inspected tensioner, idler pulleys, water pump & oil pumps according to invoice), both differentials serviced, spark plugs replaced at Subaru Dealership on 01/03/2020, 122,932 miles.

Rear wheel hubs replaced 10/07/2021, 146,900 miles

Front & rear ceramic pads/rotors, bead blast rotors, flush brake system, clean throttle body, fuel induction service injectors, rear shocks replaced 11/03/2021, 148,203 miles.

Previous owner said he had oil changed every 5,000 miles with 5w-30 conventional oil. Engine doesn't use any oil between changes.

I will probably be changing oil every 3,500 - 4,000 miles due to high mileage and my son driving short distanced every day to school & work.

And yes Slacktide, I have the Aisin timing belt kit saved to my Amazon list for future purchase.

I will be using the Wix 57712XP oil filter on this Subaru Outback 2.5i.

And yes Slacktide, I have the Aisin timing belt kit saved to my Amazon list for future purchase.

I will be using the Wix 57712XP oil filter on this Subaru Outback 2.5i.

🛑

Do not buy it on Amazon! There are so many problems like fakes and counterfeit parts. Even buying from Amazon itself is no guarantee of quality, since Amazon co-mingles their own inventory with that of third-party sellers using FBA.

Instead, get it from Rock Auto. They are much safer. Although Rock Auto is a drop shipper, you should have no problem with them. When you buy something from Rock Auto, when you receive the parts, you can google the return address, and it will lead you to where it came from. They usually use the same warehouses that independent auto parts stores use (Auto Value, Parts Authority, Factory Motor Parts, etc); sometimes, parts ship diorect from the mfr.

Great information Trav & Slacktide!

Per maintenance invoices from previous owner:
Cooling system flush & service (doesn't look like conditioner was added), timing belt was replaced (inspected tensioner, idler pulleys, water pump & oil pumps according to invoice), both differentials serviced, spark plugs replaced at Subaru Dealership on 01/03/2020, 122,932 miles.

Was all of this at the same time? At 122k? :unsure:

If the conditioner wasn't added, you can still add it now :)

Cooling system flush and service was at 122,932 miles, same time the timing belt was replaced.

Good info on the timing belt kit purchase from Rock Auto. I have purchased parts from Rock Auto in the past.

Back