2012 Mustang - HPL BAS Racing 0W-20 - 10,351 Miles

There was some discussion on here last summer about the ability of a racing oil to go 10,000 miles on the street. It was part of a larger discussion about running lower viscosity oils than the OEM recommendation. I reached out to @High Performance Lubricants with an idea, we discussed it a bit, and here's the results of that idea.

This is High Performance Lubricants Bad Ass Racing 0W-20 ran in my 2012 Mustang 3.7L V6 for 10,351 miles. The emphasis of this oil's formula is racing. Street use is an after thought, but since the chemistry is good with a standard DI pack, it should still hold up to some extended street use. Given this UOA, I'd say it did very well.

TBN is still >2.0.

KV100 is 8.5 cSt indicating no oxidative thickening nor shearing.

Iron wear is just 9 ppm,
All in all, this oil did really well for an oil not intended for this kind of use. If someone had a newer 5.0L Mustang and wanted a 0W-20 to run for Drag Week or Power Tour, having the protection for the track while holding up to the street driving just as well, this would be a good choice.

Code:
2012 Ford Mustang
3.7L V6 with ~167k miles

High Performance Lubricants BAS Racing 0W-20
10,351 miles on oil

Fe 9
Cr -
Pb -
Cu 21
Sn -
Al 5 (from additive)
Ni -
Ag -
Ti 1
V -

Si 22
Na 8
K -

Mg 410
Ca 1696
Ba -
P 756
Zn 848
Mo 829
B 19

Water =  Coolant = No

KV100 = 8.5 cSt

Base Number = 2.6 mgKOH/g

01-26-2022 - HPL Bad Ass Racing 0W-20, 10,351 miles.jpg

Awsome report 👍 Simple question - what oil filter was used?

Thanks for doing this btw.

Over 10k miles and nice low Fe wear.
Curious about the Cu; where'd that come from? That's well above what I'd consider normal for this engine.
The Si? perhaps a sealant recently? Odd that it would be silica, because the Fe is admirably low.

Over 10k miles and nice low Fe wear.
Curious about the Cu; where'd that come from? That's well above what I'd consider normal for this engine.
The Si? perhaps a sealant recently? Odd that it would be silica, because the Fe is admirably low.

I'm not sure. My other two UOAs with this engine showed the same bump in Cu. It seems to be a common thing. Here's a thread for another 3.7L V6 showing the same.

Good looking report. How is the car used primarily?

It doesn't see a lot of city driving as I live out in a rural town. It's a lot of highway miles including a trip a trip to Illinois and Florida and twice to North Carolina. It sees some short tripping as I take the kids to and from school which is only 3 miles round trip.

Back