2012 MB C250 High Pressure Fuel Pump Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 140 miles after this repair, I was merging onto a highway and the vehicle suddenly lost power under high load conditions. The CEL also came on. I managed to limp back to the shop and scanned the vehicle - this led to discovering the P061A22 and P000277 fault codes. After reviewing the freeze frame data and confirming that my low pressure fuel supply was adequate and within specs, I concluded that the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) was not functioning correctly under certain conditions.

I was advised that this is not an uncommon issue with the M271 Evo engines. I ordered a replacement pump (reman) from a MB dealer (mbpartspros.com), a new clic-r collar clamp for the low pressure line and the 5 intake manifold gaskets. Supposedly, it is possible to perform this replacement without removing the intake manifold but it would be a major pain. The job bills out at 3.6 hr and since I am not feeling so lucky with this car, I took my sweet time and it took me about 4 hours to do the job.

Here are some pictures of the process:

a) Intake Manifold and HPFP removed:
[Linked Image]

b) Old Pump vs New (Reman) MB Pump. Note: I am aware that the end-piece of the old HPFP was still in the engine when I took this picture:
[Linked Image]

c) New (reman) HPFP installed, intake manifold still removed. It was a major pain to engage the clic-r collar clamp once the high-pressure line was already in place. I can't imagine how tough it would be to do this job without removing the manifold:
[Linked Image]

Between the cam adjuster repair, new spark plugs + ignition coils and this HPFP repair, I have over $2600 invested into getting this car to pass smog and be ready for sale. Can I interest anyone in a well-reconditioned C250?
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
Between the cam adjuster repair, new spark plugs + ignition coils and this HPFP repair, I have over $2600 invested into getting this car to pass smog and be ready for sale. Can I interest anyone in a well-reconditioned C250?
grin2.gif

Now you need to drive the pants off of it for another couple of years to get your investment back!

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I had to replace the high pressure fuel pump on my VW last year. It broke down when my wife was far from home. Much easier to replace on my car.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4735929/

Agreed! Yours looks much easier in comparison.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Nice work Michael.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by The Critic
grin2.gif

Now you need to drive the pants off of it for another couple of years to get your investment back!

The car is currently for sale.

Also, the reman HPFP retails for $603.00 with a $70 core charge, the clamp retails for $3.00, 3 of the intake gaskets retail for $22/EACH and 2 of the intake gaskets retail for $17.50/EACH. Altogether, this is $707 in parts. If you combine this with the typical MB dealer or Euro Indy Shop labor rate, this is a $1500+ job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back