2012 KTM 500 EXC Refresh

Next I did the motor, here is the before. (The whole bike had a good scrub before I started any of this tear down)
image001.jpg

image002.jpg

After a quick scrub with the mothers wheel cleaner and scotch brite pad.
image003.jpg

image004.jpg

Since I had the cleaning supplies out I gave the sub frame a scrub and quick polish to help keep the corrosion under control.
Before:
image001.jpg

image002.jpg

After:
image003.jpg

Next up while the motor is on the bench:
Valve clearance check
Replace countershaft seal

Then install motor, service steering head bearings and install triple clamps.

Will see what I'm feeling like after that, either do a fork service and install forks or do the swingarm & subframe/airbox. Once that is on I can start to tackle the mess KTM calls a wiring harness...

It was fine actually but I removed it since it was fairly inexpensive and I didn't want to worry about getting water/cleaner in it during clean up. They use a heim joint rather than roller bearing. I have a new one ready to go but waiting on swingarm bears before I can reinstall the swingarm.
I used to go through those lower bearings like crazy on my 380EXC. Florida sugar sand and 175 miles of whoops in Ocala Natl Forest. Sadly, due to health problems, (MCTD, it's like Lupus) I no longer ride, as I'm about 10 feet behind the motorcycle with my reactions and ability. Although I did go to the KTM dealership yesterday...

I've always been a huge 2 stroke guy, but the big KTM is also among my fav engines! Just an all around excellent powerplant.

1981:

aruhIwd.jpg

Have you ridden the Husky version of the 500cc KTM Exc? The major difference is the rear linkage.
I haven’t. I’ve heard it does make a big diff also. I like the PDS for what I’m doing thou. Ground clearance is more important for me

Counter shaft seal done
51C16114-3D36-411E-8964-6E4548134D36.jpeg

D7456A29-0969-4948-A7F4-582E406DCC14.jpeg

Valve clearances checked
CCDF9914-5C73-481A-9E55-45D1002D3FD5.jpeg

And motor back in the frame.
E90E6F4C-ABEA-43B0-B330-83469032BC96.jpeg

Sure feels good to see it going together again.

Counter shaft seal done

Valve clearances checked

And motor back in the frame.

Sure feels good to see it going together again.

It takes quite a bit more time that people expect to properly refurb a modern dirt bike. How are the hoses, still in good shape?

It takes quite a bit more time that people expect to properly refurb a modern dirt bike. How are the hoses, still in good shape?
Funny you ask. I just got done replacing the T-pipe and will replace them all with Samco silicon hoses.

Here is the new T-pipe in the frame.
8581069A-3E22-4B9E-BFBD-865C8D833083.jpeg

As you can see it leaves big gaps and isn’t ideal.

I modified the side rubber pieces from the factory pipe to fill the gaps nicely.
B9F16A0C-6279-449E-B977-941F9BD5BF12.jpeg

And stuck a couple of the new rad hoses on.
D1540D1E-54F6-41DA-BD19-A3DCA7F2ADD6.jpeg

You can also see the intake boot and clamps got a cleanup

^^^ Doing some nice work !!
Thank you. I'm not sure what it is but I enjoy tearing bikes apart and putting them back together like new(or at least better than they were). Some day when I have a bigger shop I would love to take on a Jap bike restoration.

A little more progress:
Got all the hardware switched over from the old airbox to the new one and cleaned up the intake boot.
image001.jpg

image002.jpg

Then I was going to install it but remembered the throttle body needs to go first since it it can't be installed or removed with the airbox/intake in place.

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

Its pretty dirty so I gave it a extensive cleaning. I was surprised how much dirt came out of the idle circuit and MAP sensor circuit. Will have to keep a eye on this.

Here it is all cleaned up:
image005.jpg

image006.jpg

The previous owner installed a aftermarket fuel rail(not shown). Its aluminum rather than the OEM plastic one which is good i guess but it makes it so the bolts are inaccessible when the throttle body is installed on the bike which means if you want/need to pull the fuel injector you have to unbolt the sub frame and air boot. I'm not a fan of this so I ordered the OEM fuel rail. It should be here in a week. Also still have to DIY clean the fuel injector and check the TPS voltage.

Plan is to move onto the triple clamps next. Clean and grease the bearings. Service forks, etc

The swingarm bearings arrived and went strait into the freezer for a night.
I've installed a lot of bearings using the method of pounding them in with a closely sized socket. Recently I purchased some bearing press tools however that I was excited to use. They are from Tokyo Offroad and seem to be very well made. They have depth stops built in and fit the bearings and seals perfectly.

First heating up the area receiving the bearing:
image002.jpg

And here is the press tool setup to press in the bearing:
image003.jpg

Worked really well and works on the seals perfectly:
image004.jpg

Final product with bushings installed on the shock mount:
image005.jpg

Onto the swingarm pivot bearings, same idea with the frozen bearings and heat applied to the swing arm:
image007.jpg

image008.jpg

One side completed:
image009.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! If you were close to me I’d pay you to go through my 2003 CR 250 and wife’s 2005 CRF230. I really need to dump the fuel and clean the carbs as a starting point.

Now the other side was the one with the rusted in bearings, I tried some scotch brite by hand but was still left with this:
image010.jpg

I'm sure a small wire wheel would have worked fine but I saw these soft scotchbrite wheels for a die grinder that were perfect:
image012.jpg

image011.jpg

They are quite soft and not very aggressive but still performed great. If anyone knows where to get some more of these at a good price I would love to know. The place I got them from was kinda expensive.

Here it is cleaned up:
image013.jpg

Really impressed using the press tool, Kinda expensive for what it is but considering that it has the correct dimensions for the bearings, seals and has built in depth stops it was worth it to me over making my own even though I have a lathe. Made the process go very slick and the bearings are driven in strait without any marring to the swingarm or your sockets.

Here is the tool with bushings for the heim joint and swingarm bearings as it stores:
image014.jpg

Last thing to do was clean up the pivot bolt, it has some rust and minor pitting:
image015.jpg

image016.jpg

But it came out not bad with just a scotchbrite pad and a little bit of the wire wheel in a couple places:
image017.jpg

I have a TM Designs Slide & Glide kit that should be here early next weeks, I'll get that put on and then I can install the swingarm and rear shock on the bike.

Cleaned the fuel injector. Not much for pics as the task required 3 hands trying to pressurize the hose and activate the injector. I did a back flush on the injector first. Then it spent 10min in a ultrasonic cleaner. Then another backflush and then I pushed a bunch of cleaner through in the normal direction. It worked alright but I will probably just send it out next year. Hopefully the OEM fuel rail comes in this week so I can get the throttle body installed which will allow me to get the subframe/airbox installed.
image001.jpg

image002.jpg

I cleaned up the stator cover and water pump cover "protection" and installed them, here is the stator cover on:
image003.jpg

Was tired of waiting for the chain sliders and installed the swingarm and rear shock. I had the shock refreshed by a local suspension guy.
image004.jpg

I guess its time for me to move my attention to the triple clamps that I've been avoiding for some reason.
image002.jpg

All the threads needed a cleanout:
image003.jpg

That's as far as I got for now but I want to mention how valuable this thread chaser kit has been. I picked it up before starting this "build" but should have bought it years ago. Works much better than a tap or picks and combined with a low torque power tool like a M12 screwdriver is a really fast way to clean out old locktite and gunk from threaded holes, highly recommend.
image004.jpg

Got the slide and glide kit installed from TM Designworks.
Not Sure about the orange, might be a bit too much, have to see how it all comes together:
image001.jpg

Next I got the triples cleaned using the same process as the swingarm:
image003.jpg

Greased the bearings and installed them, the forks were just on to get the aliment setup, they still need a cleaning and service, new seals, etc.
image005.jpg

I'm going to take a small break from the bike to get my shop better organized, I have parts, bolts, etc scattered all over and its getting old. Going to do some clean up to make the process more enjoyable.

Hopefully the fuel rail comes in soon so I can get the throttle body, airbox, subframe installed. If not I'll tackle the fork service next.

What? You should see my shops, all are a bit of a mess! Somebody else can clean it when I'm gone :)

On a serious note, your place looks fantastic. And I do appreciate a nice shop.

What? You should see my shops, all are a bit of a mess! Somebody else can clean it when I'm gone :)

On a serious note, your place looks fantastic. And I do appreciate a nice shop.
You only get to see one small corner lol, I have about 20ft of workbench and its all covered in stuff half torn apart.

This bike is going to be too cherry to ride and instead be put in a museum for display. I know you'll ride it, but it's going to be a work of art when you're done.

Back