2012 GTI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings...picking up a new 2012 VW GTI in a few weeks and I want to know what oil is generally recommended. I live in WI and car will be driven year round. Engine is direct injected 2.0 Turbo. Factory calls for 10k intervals but I am not comfortable with that seeing I intend to drive it as intended so probably will do 5k intervals. Also what filter is suggested for this application? Thanks

Lots of good threads. IMHO, the answer is simple, M1 0W-40, I'd change it at 5K and sample for UOA.

robert

Just to chime in my fat mouth a little, I think you will do great by PU 5w40 or M1 0w40, but many people seem to overlook Castrol Syntec 5w40 (now Edge w SPT), which I am hearing to be nearly the same. I have found it to be a great lube and quiet and smooth. I think it should be mentioned as a viable option as well.

Great car, Good luck!

My mach is quite a bit quieter on Ultra vs Mobil 1. Enough to the point where I kind of wrote off Mobil 1 in favor of Ultra or Platinum. I plan on changing it on my own in between the included VW maintenance ones.

My brother has a 2 year older version of that car.
M1 0-40 is what is called for, and is one of their best oils.
My #1 choice for that car.

My choices at Wally World are Mobil 1 0w-40 or Valvoline Synpower 5w-40. Both are VW authorized for use...which is generally preferred?

Originally Posted By: legandrex
My choices at Wally World are Mobil 1 0w-40 or Valvoline Synpower 5w-40. Both are VW authorized for use...which is generally preferred?

That Synpower is a mid-SAPs oil, which means weak additive package and low TBN. But if you're going to change it as frequently as every 5K miles, then it shouldn't be that big of an issue. Personally, I'd choose M1 0w-40 if given the choice of these two.

GC (castrol syntec 0w-30 made in germany) sold at AutoZone and PepBoys would be another good option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back