2012 Civic LX Automatic Noise Diagnosis

I need help determining what is causing this noise in my 2012 Civic LX Automatic. The noise is worst on a cold start and occurs when the car is in gear. It is a bit louder in reverse than in drive. The noise dies down after 5-7 minutes of driving but there is still abnormal vibration. The car has ~98,800 miles. I thought it might be an engine mount. The passenger side mount does not seem to sag and when I put my hand on the mount there isn't much vibration in it. The vibration is strongest on the engine itself. The sound seems like it is coming from the left side of the engine compartment. Appreciate any help.

does it do it with the A/C on of off (turn the climate control completely off)

Take the belt(s) off...

Just to be clear, it makes no noise at all in N or Park?

Sounds like a completely normal Japanese 4 cyl to me. But maybe the mic isn't sensitive enough to pick up the incriminating noise?

Take the belt(s) off...
Thanks for suggesting this. I de-tensioned the serpentine belt tensioner and spun all the pulleys by hand. They all felt normal. While doing this I ended up de-tensioning the tensioner several times, which somehow made the sound disappear. I think the tensioner must be failing. If the sound returns I will replace it.

Should I replace the tensioner and belt without waiting for the sound to reappear?

Back