2012 A/C making weird noises

My 2012 Honda Civic LX is making noises when the a/c kicks on and off. You can hear it when the engine is idling. Do I need a new compressor or just the clutch system? Is it safe to drive or could it lock up and throw the belt? I am hoping I didn't get any metal debris in the system. I can get a new compressor for about $200 but not sure how much a good mechanic would charge to install it. The system does still blow cold air and is cooling as normal but the noise is there.

REcord the npoise using your smartphone's camera and then post the video (w/sound) to youtube. Post the youtube link.

Reactions: hrv
My 2012 Honda Civic LX is making noises when the a/c kicks on and off. You can hear it when the engine is idling. Do I need a new compressor or just the clutch system? Is it safe to drive or could it lock up and throw the belt? I am hoping I didn't get any metal debris in the system. I can get a new compressor for about $200 but not sure how much a good mechanic would charge to install it. The system does still blow cold air and is cooling as normal but the noise is there.
cant give a opinion without hearing the sound....anything else would be a guess...

Ok thanks everyone. I am just going to bring it to the shop and get out the wallet. I can't even see the compressor since its toward the bottom of the engine. From what I read it more than likely just needs a new compressor.

Back