2012 Accord losing coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
My 2012 accord with the 2.4 engine is low in the coolant tank. Starts of on the max mark at cold temp. and slowly works down to below the add mark . I then take it to the dealer and he puts it ont the lift, inspects, and fills to max. Four weeks later its at the add line again.

Never had a car with a closed system require monthly top offs of the coolant. Dealer says it fine. What do you guys think? Car has 6200 miles.
Thanks in advance, Mark

Its not fine. it is either a leak or ingestion via HG. My 212k miles /6074hr zx2 neeeds MAYBE 3 ounces every 6 months to state RIGHT at the full mark

When they tell you its normal,time to shop next time for another brand of vehicle.Seems those "indestructible" brands arent what they used to be.Ask any local Odyessy owner about transmissions...

Originally Posted By: mag176
Hello,
My 2012 accord with the 2.4 engine is low in the coolant tank. Starts of on the max mark at cold temp. and slowly works down to below the add mark . I then take it to the dealer and he puts it ont the lift, inspects, and fills to max. Four weeks later its at the add line again.

Never had a car with a closed system require monthly top offs of the coolant. Dealer says it fine. What do you guys think? Car has 6200 miles.
Thanks in advance, Mark

Something is NOT right, you either have a external leak that is evaporating off from engine heat, or like the other person said you have a HG leak.

Take it to another dealer, and while you are at it call American Honda and open up a case ticket explain what your current dealer is NOT doing to resolve the issue.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
When they tell you its normal,time to shop next time for another brand of vehicle.Seems those "indestructible" brands arent what they used to be.Ask any local Odyessy owner about transmissions...

That's the dumbest suggestion I've heard.

Thanks for the replies. Ive had it on ramps to change the oil and saw nothing. Ive looked pretty hard. Oil level looks good, under cap looks fine.

Good idea about another dealer and opening a ticket with American Honda. Sorry my girl bought a Honda, I drive Chevy Trucks. They have their own problems.

Thanks again,Mark

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Do you see anything leaking under the car?

If not, is your engine oil at the correct level? You might want to do a UOA.

Agree.... UOA might be in order here.

Not entirely certain how this is supposed to help the poster.

Time for a UOA. Find out if it's in the oil, if so, totally a warranty issue. Make it the dealer's problem.

Just someone trolling honda, nothing to see here continue on.

How much have they added so far any idea? Might be a good idea to know this?

Honda's transmissions SUCK atleast through M/Y 08. My stepmom's minivan is on trans #3 with 97k on the odo

I will order a kit from Blackstone. Better to know. The oil, Mobil AFE has less than a thousand miles on it. If I wash and blow dry the drain plug and the surrounding area will it be OK to blleed off a small amount for a sample? Hate to dump it.

Thanks, Mark

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Honda's transmissions SUCK atleast through M/Y 08. My stepmom's minivan is on trans #3 with 97k on the odo

crazy2.gif
That's impressive. Like.... crazy impressive.

I will order a kit from Blackstone. Better to know. The oil, Mobil AFE has less than a thousand miles on it. If I wash and blow dry the drain plug and the surrounding area will it be OK to blleed off a small amount for a sample? Hate to dump it.
Thanks, Mark

You don't have to dump the oil. just pop off the plug, put the Blackstone container under it, and screw the plug back in 2-3 seconds later. Nothing special to a UOA sample in this case, just get a few oz of the oil in the container. You are only looking for sodium and potassium in the sample. You could even take it from the oil filter if you really wanted to.

While I have no clue what Odyssey transmissions have to do with your car (except for those looking to slam Honda at every possible opportunity?), there is no way that's "normal". Cooling systems are closed systems. In theory you could lose a couple of tablespoons over 50K miles or so, but having to add coolant every month? Something is definitely wrong, and given the age of the car it shouldn't be up to you to figure it out.

I'm curious, do you smell burning coolant at all? Having owned a bunch of Volvos, I got used to this smell, and it's easy to detect. It's either going out of the system, or into the oil. One of those is bad, the other is really bad. Still, I'd leave this to the dealer to troubleshoot.

Originally Posted By: hypervish

That's the dumbest suggestion I've heard.

Me too.

They have got to put a dye in the coolant and pressure test the system. Make sure you document this complaint, so they don't wait until the warranty expires "find" it.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Thanks, Mark

You don't have to dump the oil. just pop off the plug, put the Blackstone container under it, and screw the plug back in 2-3 seconds later. Nothing special to a UOA sample in this case, just get a few oz of the oil in the container. You are only looking for sodium and potassium in the sample. You could even take it from the oil filter if you really wanted to.

Or, do a full drain into a CLEAN CONTAINER, sample midstream, and then pour the oil back in through the fill hole. Check level afterwards and top off accordingly.

No smell and I know what it smells like. Kit ordered from Blackstone. Seeing another dealer Monday. I really dislike dealers. I have gotten a lot of "cant duplicate problem and vehicle is with in spec" type of [censored] before from other dealers and different makes of cars.

Last time I asked them to pressure test, they just did a visual. Have started a paper trail and will continue it . Call to Honda first thing. Thanks for the Ideas.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back