2011 VW Golf TDI. An update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
My coworker has a 2001 Jetta with 350K. The other day I asked him what his fuel milage is and he told me 43 mpg. Pretty [censored] good.

Ask him how much he's put into repairs keeping it that long?

And how many times it's been in the shop?

Just curious.

Originally Posted By: Spector
Actually I will venture to say that today's automatics get better MPG than the ave manual due to shifting a lot better on average at more efficient RPMs than the average driver of a manual tranny. Not true years ago but I believe they are very close if not better in the mpg category now.

Let's face it, people are just not as efficient as machines. I also have a 6 spd, fund to drive but if I had to battle commuter traffic every day driving the 6 spd, well, just not worth it IMO.
There are days when one just does not want to think about RPMS, downshifting, lugging etc

The current TDi has an upshift/downshift light to tell the driver how to drive optimally. Doubt the logic is any different, even if the gearing is.

Key though is lifecycle cost. Of course the MT shines there.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The current TDi has an upshift/downshift light to tell the driver how to drive optimally.

it does? where?

My brother's 11 TDi has a shift monitor on the computer in the gauge assembly. Topmost line, absolute top. Above the time.

smile.gif

Actually, when they (the Taylors from down under) did their record run the second time in the
higher geared 2010 Jetta, they averaged 67.8 MPG.

I figured that they drove at about 50-55 mpg behind a hugh tractor-tailer in the trucks
vacumm with no A/C and all the windows rolled up.
No radio and no fans either.
When I emailed Mr. Taylor, of course he would not
admit to any of this!

Originally Posted By: QuadDriver
I set my info center to range remaining - it is more accurate than the long term fuel trim.

I have tried SOME hypermiling techniques (current world record holder for highway miles at 60mph is the 2010 TDI J at 58mpg and change) but criminy, its a jetta and sometimes I like expressing that fact - I dont slow for corners.

In the extreme cold we had, I found my mileage dropping a lot, get me over 35 or so and 45mpg across the entire tank (mixed driving, 75% pure highway) over 600 miles is what I get.

My PD2 J5 got about 2mpg better in all cases, but it had 40 less hp and 60 less ftlbs

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: QuadDriver
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The current TDi has an upshift/downshift light to tell the driver how to drive optimally.

it does? where?

Probably right in the center of the dashboard between the tachometer on the left and speedometer on the right.

This is typical VW placement, and a cool thing to have (useful to novices.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back