2011 Toyota Tacoma questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a new-to-me 2011 Toyota Tacoma double cab 4x4, 4.0L V-6, 5 speed auto, 126,000 km. It was originally a US vehicle per the Carfax report, sold Sept. 2010 in Tennessee and imported into Canada in August 2012. It's in great shape both inside and out. The seller said his small town mechanic always installed synthetic engine oil but he doesn't know what brand.

This is my first Japanese vehicle, so a few questions please:

1. Any gotcha's about this engine, transmission, or vehicle in general? Anything specific to watch for?

2. Engine oil and OCI. I found a Toyota Tech Tip sheet dated March 25, 2013 that said this model needs a 5000 mile (8000 km) OIC using 5W-30, and specifically says not to extend it to 10,000 miles or use 0W-20 which is back spec'd on multiple other models per this sheet. I need a 5W or 0W oil in my prairie Canuck winter. I used mostly Amsoil SS for many years which made oil changes really easy at once a year with an Ea oil filter.

I bought a few jugs of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum High Milage 5W-30 just this week on a good sale at Canadian Tire. I was planning on using it in another one of the family fleet, but the specs look very good, and winter feels like it's already here. If I use this PUP-HM in the Tacoma, to what could I reasonably extend the OCI?

I plan on changing all the driveline fluids and coolant. I've got Hastings and Napa filters available locally, and can order Amsoil Ea and Wix filters.

Any suggestions and advice are much appreciated!

4.0 is super reliable, backed by the 5-speed which is put behind a V8 in other applications so very durable combo.

Plenty of guys from 4Runner and FJ websites using 0w-30 in their 4.0s with good results....I had some 20 to use up but pretty soon I'll be moving to a 30 and maybe even a 40.

To comment on filtration -- I would go with a Fram Ultra and use it for 30,000km.

As far as interval, IMO extending beyond 8000 km is probably doable with UOAs for guidance. SS 0w-30 would probably be wasted at 8k.

Last edited:
Fram Ultra XG3614 should work. PUP 5W30 is a great oil for these motors -- it's all I run in my 2015.

Get a tailgate lock if you don't have one yet.. because people seem to steal Tacoma tailgates.

I'd stick with a 30wt simply because that's what the engine was designed for. Back spec or not, it doesn't change the fact that the engine was designed for a heavier weight so it's wise to stick to it. PUP is good, but if you want a 0W-30 I suggest M1 AFE 0W-30, I have it in my Tacoma and it makes a world of difference with cold starts over a 5W. I'm in Montana so we get bitter cold winters too and my truck sits outside 24/7 with no block heater and never has trouble cranking over in the cold.

Biggest thing to watch for on these things is FRAME RUST! I noticed my frame was rotted out bad a year after I bought my truck, luckily for me Toyota replaced it under an extended 15 year warranty free of charge. Get under there and tap on the frame with a ball peen hammer, they rust from the inside out so you can never tell just by looking at it. Weak spots are around the forward most mount on the rear spring hangers and about midway through the frame right about where the first catalytic converter is mounted, check both sides.

Other than that, the engine and transmissions are rock solid and will go 500k easy if taken care of. Be aware that the only way to check the transmission is a plug on the bottom of the pan as it has no dipstick. If you want to learn more about Tacomas, I recommend signing up at www.tacomaworld.com, I'm a member there and it's a very helpful, intuitive group of enthusiasts. It can be bad for your wallet though as you'll undoubtedly catch the mod bug once you browse around and see what others have done with their ride!

With a quality synthetic, you should easily be able to stretch out 7k-9k intervals as these engines are very easy on oil. I do 8k changes on my 3.4 or every 6 months, whichever comes first. I'm going to get a UOA done next go round and see if I can go 10k.

Originally Posted by vitez
Just picked up a new-to-me 2011 Toyota Tacoma double cab 4x4, 4.0L V-6, 5 speed auto, 126,000 km. It was originally a US vehicle per the Carfax report, sold Sept. 2010 in Tennessee and imported into Canada in August 2012. It's in great shape both inside and out. The seller said his small town mechanic always installed synthetic engine oil but he doesn't know what brand.

This is my first Japanese vehicle, so a few questions please:

1. Any gotcha's about this engine, transmission, or vehicle in general? Anything specific to watch for?

2. Engine oil and OCI. I found a Toyota Tech Tip sheet dated March 25, 2013 that said this model needs a 5000 mile (8000 km) OIC using 5W-30, and specifically says not to extend it to 10,000 miles or use 0W-20 which is back spec'd on multiple other models per this sheet. I need a 5W or 0W oil in my prairie Canuck winter. I used mostly Amsoil SS for many years which made oil changes really easy at once a year with an Ea oil filter.

I bought a few jugs of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum High Milage 5W-30 just this week on a good sale at Canadian Tire. I was planning on using it in another one of the family fleet, but the specs look very good, and winter feels like it's already here. If I use this PUP-HM in the Tacoma, to what could I reasonably extend the OCI?

I plan on changing all the driveline fluids and coolant. I've got Hastings and Napa filters available locally, and can order Amsoil Ea and Wix filters.

Any suggestions and advice are much appreciated!

You already bought what oil and filter you wanted. Shouldn't you ask questions on oil, filter and things like oil grades, prior to purchase - not afterwards?

I have a 2013 4.0 lt.4x4
Fram Ultra XG3600 is the larger version of the 3614. I use tbe XG 3600
5w30 Penzzoli Plat.
Mobil 1 75/90 syn in the front and rear diff, and transfer case.

54000 miles.

Im in Connecticut just south of Hartford so factor in how your winter temps etc. Differ from centeral Connecticut

Join the Tacoma world there is so much info there you will get info overload.

https://www.tacomaworld.com

TOMB

Last edited:
Currently doing 10K changes Amsoil SS 0W30 with a factory filter change every 5K. No uoas though. 2015 Tacoma withe 4.0L.

Last edited:
I have a similar vehicle - 2015 V6 but with a 6 speed manual.

I pickup Mobil-1 5w30 at Walmart. I've read that it's because of the timing chain and variable valves that they recommend the 5k OCI. I change the filter every other OCI, so it is very cheap and easy to just follow the manual and do it every 5k like I'm supposed to.

I've used a Mobil-1 102 filter twice, and each time I replaced it, it was empty - indicating to me that the ADBV wasn't working very well. So I now use a Fram XG3614 and when I change it, oil gushes out. As you know, the filter sits on top of the engine face down.

Nope, they started recalling the 05-10 trucks and it's likely only a matter of time before the 11+ ones get it too.
Originally Posted by NH73
Didn't Toyota correct the frame rust issue?

My wife drives A 2014 4Runner with the 4.0 it calls for 0w20... I run Mobil1 0w20 and change it every 5000 miles.. I haven't had any issues with the thin 0w20

Thanks for all the great information gents. Tacomaworld: dayum, there goes my weekend.
smile.gif
Awesome!

I'm glad to hear the engine and transmission are reliable. But what's up with the bizarre way to check the transmission fluid level? Sheesh! That will be a project for the warm springtime. I'll definitely check the frame, as I've had more vehicles rust out under great running engines than the other way around. The tip about Fram XG oil filters is helpful. I haven't used Fram for years as I still think of them as the cheap orange can of my youth that would weld itself to the filter mount no matter now much oil I put on the gasket. I haven't kept up with their long life filters. I just checked and they're available at Canadian Walmarts.

I'm surprised the transfer case is spec'd for gear oil. Every other 4WD/AWD I've owned has used ATF. It's little quirks like this that make owning a new vehicle interesting. My mind was blown when I bought my first British car.
smile.gif

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Convert
I have a 2013 4.0 lt.4x4
Fram Ultra XG3600 is the larger version of the 3614. I use tbe XG 3600
5w30 Penzzoli Plat.
Mobil 1 75/90 syn in the front and rear diff, and transfer case.

54000 miles.

Im in Connecticut just south of Hartford so factor in how your winter temps etc. Differ from centeral Connecticut

Join the Tacoma world there is so much info there you will get info overload.

https://www.tacomaworld.com

TOMB

Do you remember how much 75W-90 it took to do the diffs and t-case? I wanna switch mine to M1 also, pretty sure it's the factory gear oil still. Still looks clean but at 143k miles I wanna change it for peace of mind.

Do you remember how much 75W-90 it took to do the diffs and t-case? I wanna switch mine to M1 also, pretty sure it's the factory gear oil still. Still looks clean but at 143k miles I wanna change it for peace of mind.

This is the reference I use for all my cars. Helpful capacity and torque specs. Just select your vehicle on the left and bookmark it.

https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/auto-...0l-6-cyl-engine-code-1gr-fe-0/us-volume/

Last edited:
Haven't seen the ATF addressed--many like Maxlife over WS. Very few think that WS is as lifetime as Toyota thinks. I tend to order small bits off toyotapartsdeal.com, not sure if applicable over the border, stuff like crush washers for diffs and trans, caliper pins (as used on my Tundra), etc. I prefer OEM filters off Ebay or Amazon, buy a box of 10 filters for $40--I like 5k OCI's, 10k at max, and just don't see the need for fancy filters, not with how good oil is today.

Rust would be my number 1 concern. It'd be number 1, 2, 3 and 5, with ATF being #4.

I've used Fram filters in every vehicle I've owned for 30 plus years. I also use Castrol oil. They are a great combination . I rack up at least 250k miles on every vehicle and a lot more on some. Change regularly like you should and you will be ok. I own a 2008 Tacoma Prerunner with 148k miles and just changed the transmission fluid , filter and gasket along with the rear differential oil. I used Toyota TW transmission fluid and I think Valvoline 75-90 gear oil for the rear. Both tasks were simple but require a pump that fits on the fluid container to make it easier. I'm a self taught DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back