2011 QR25DE and 40 WT Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I’ve lurked here for a while now but have finally signed up to post my info and ask a question. I want to know if it truly fine to run 40 WT oil in a Nissan QR25DE engine…

1. What kind of vehicle you have: 2011 Altima 2.5 S, 60, 500 miles.
2. What your owner's manual says: API SM and it recommends 5W-30. However, the FSM states that 5W-30 is preferred but also gives a temperature scale where 5W-30/5W-40 is indicated across the temp scale.
3. Where you live: Northern CA, Sacramento area, very hot over the summer.
4. How you drive: Easy most of the time but the car is a daily driver.
5. What your daily drive is like: Short and long trips, daily driver, road tripper, and some mountain drives.
6. Whether your car has any known problems: No known issues but it has consumed about half a quart in roughly 3K.

I am on a run of PU 5W-30 with the OEM filter (the Gohner made one) and things are fine, planning on a 5-6K OCI. The QR engine is not the most refined engine I’ve ever owned, especially on warm up. So my goal is to try to experiment in order to smooth out this engine while providing protection. The car is powerful and very fuel efficient for a 4 CYL and I would be OK with a minor hit in MPG if switching to a 40.

Thanks guys and I would appreciate your responses.

Welcome to the Forum!

Running a 0W-40 weight oil (like Mobil 1) is fine in the hot summer, but 5W-30 PU will do the job too ... year-around. I am pleased with the results of these two oils I'm also currently using.

Thanks for the welcome Grain. There are some forums where QR guys swear by Rotella T6, but they also track their cars or drive them very hard.

I guess I find the information confusing. So they make a recommendation for 5W-30 in the manual but indicate 5W-40 is also OK in the FSM. So what if a warranty issue pops up?

Last edited:
How much warranty is actually left on this engine?
If you want to try a thicker oil, GC 0W-30 almost complies with the OM recomendations, while M1 0W-40 and Edge 0W-40 almost do the same.
FWIU, a little oil use in these engines is not uncommon.
If the engine is using a half a quart in 3K, then you could just continue with a 5W-30 and change the oil at 6K when it's a quart low.
Just a thought.

If you are using a certified 5W40, 0W30, or 0W40 and a warranty issue pops up. The likely hood of it causing a warranty issue is next to none.

If you keep a log and receipts of your maintenance preformed.

Thanks Dave, thats what I needed to hear. I do have an extended warranty and the SM at the local dealer told me that they only really want to see that the oil was changed at certain intervals and sometimes they don't even ask for records. I, however, do keep very good records.

The Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 looks good...as does Mobil 1's 0W-40.

Thanks everyone!

Sorry the thread bump but I picked up some PUE 5W-40 off Amazon for use in my QR25DE. The label was SM but I later confirmed through Pennzoil customer service that they used old labels and it is actually SN.

The problem now is I cant find any UOA's for PUE 5W-40 in Nissan engines but I see a few for Mobil 0W-40 (which were good results). Also, I read about SAPS on this site and was wondering if I should have any concerns about using PUE. Any advice?

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: LiquidSchwartz
Sorry the thread bump but I picked up some PUE 5W-40 off Amazon for use in my QR25DE. The label was SM but I later confirmed through Pennzoil customer service that they used old labels and it is actually SN.

The problem now is I cant find any UOA's for PUE 5W-40 in Nissan engines but I see a few for Mobil 0W-40 (which were good results). Also, I read about SAPS on this site and was wondering if I should have any concerns about using PUE. Any advice?

Thank you.

Thanks for calling Pennzoil about that SM label issue, I bought some last month off Amazon, I'm glad it turns out it's SN rated.

I think you'll be fine with either both a great products, PUE 5W-40 is Ferrari approved, not sure how much that's worth to you but I find it pretty cool.

Haha yea I thought the Ferrari approval was cool too
laugh.gif
. Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking about running it for 6K then doing a UOA. Now I just have to pick a filter. I have a RP and a Fram Ultra on the shelf.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back