2011 Mazda6 Review @ 81k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2011 Mazda6i with 2.5L 4 cylinder is sitting at just over 81k miles. I thought maybe some would be interested to see my ownership experience so far. I bought this car new in March of 2011 and it is a poverty/base spec manual transmission with A/C and power windows. Those are its luxuries. I maintain my car but am not a believer in over-maintaining a car and throwing money away. Perhaps this is evident in my work/maintenance records below - i.e. I'm still on mostly original fluids.

Below is what I have done to the car so far (excluding a synthetic oil change every 8-10k miles and tire rotations). All maintenance was performed by myself (except the new tires, alignments and exhaust work).

21k miles: Air Filter, Cabin Filter and half a can of 3M car undercoating to repair a scrape to the frame.
24k miles: New headlight bulb
30k miles: New tires and alignment
32k miles: New grommet which fell out and caused underbody shield rattle ($3.99 dealer part)
40k miles: Cabin Filter
48k miles: New rear brake pads and rotors
51k miles: New headlight bulb
54k miles: New Air Filter and Cabin Filter
57k miles: Alignment
58k miles: Replaced manual trans-axle gear oil and refilled with Redline MT-90 75W90.
60k miles: New headlight bulb (see a trend?)
70k miles: Cabin Air Filter and (4) new Motorcraft spark plugs
72k miles: Multiple recalls addressed by dealer (including one for spider webs!)
73k miles: Exhaust leak - repaired exhaust gasket and weld job (Meineke did a great job for ~$95)
75k miles: Replaced OEM battery (pre-emptive replacement as battery was 5yrs old).

That is all I have done so far. Front brake pads and rotors are original as well as serpentine belt, coolant and all other fluids.

The car does not burn oil and returns 28-33mpg depending on driving conditions.

Present issues:
Passenger side front window rattles in its track when not fully rolled up or down. Pretty irritating unless the radio is up. Driver side window rattles too sometimes but not as badly. I've heard the windows are one of Ford's contributions.
grin.gif

Brakes squeal. I had the dealer check it out when I had the recalls done and they said all pads had 50% left. Since the front pads and rotors are original I may go ahead and have them replaced. It's probably time.

The General tires I have on now have 52k miles on them but are refusing to die. They have about 4/32 tread left but they are very loud. For some reason it seems like they've almost stopped wearing in the past 15k miles. They're in wear like iron mode maybe. It almost sounds like I have a bad wheel bearing when I steer left but I'm not sure if this is the tires or not. They're also showing the beginning signs of dry rot in the tread. I'll likely replace them sooner than later. I also can tell I need an alignment - probably will get one when I get new shoes.

A couple of dents and dings - typical. Some medium sized dents on the roof from parking under a crab apple tree during a storm - don't feel like paying a deductible to get that addressed.

The interior and the car in general has worn pretty well. Nothing bad to speak of. The front driver seat is only starting to show beginning stages of seat wear on the edges but nothing significant.

I'll admit that I sometimes feel the car is a bit underpowered and I pine for a V6 or maybe even a V8 since gas is cheap now but the idea of a car payment usually sobers me up.

Would I buy this car again? Yes. Would I have sprung for some upgrades like a sunroof, premium stereo and a couple of more creature comforts. Yes. But at the time of purchase and my career situation I did not want to overextend myself. When it comes time for a new car I'll likely avoid a poverty spec model and get some upgrades - but only if I can still get a manual transmission! The transmission is one my favorite aspects of this car - I've driven lots of manuals and Mazda makes one of the best.

Oh yeah - any recommendations on maintenance items I should address? I have a Gates serpentine belt on hand I could throw in - the original one has some cracks but I'm also cheap and want to get my money out of it. I'm thinking of getting front brakes addressed and maybe tires. The owners manual says coolant is good for 120k miles or 10 years. What say the BITOGers?

Anyways - maybe I'll provide another review at 160k or 200k miles assuming it continues to be an overall decent vehicle and I hold onto it - which I intend to. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Great review. I remember driving one as a rental and was impressed with the power in the 4 cylinder.. Most responsive of all ive driven. Sounds lie its been good to you!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
30K for tires and an alignment? Where you upgrading or did you need them?

OEM Michelin tires were shot. I always get an alignment when new tires are installed. I thought maybe this car was excessively hard on tires but turns out the OEM tires just had poor treadlife.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
30K for tires and an alignment? Where you upgrading or did you need them?

OEM Michelin tires were shot. I always get an alignment when new tires are installed. I thought maybe this car was excessively hard on tires but turns out the OEM tires just had poor treadlife.

I got it now, with only 30K miles there had to be a reason. I had bad luck with Michelin tires too over the years.

I had the last year 626 Model. It had the 6cyl. in it. It had leather, Bose, etc. I bought it used with 5,000 miles on it. I put over 100,000 miles on that car in three years in outside sales. I changed the filters, oil, tires, brakes, etc. The only (unexpected) repair I had was a new radiator. The Mazdas are great cars-totally underrated IMHO.

Last edited:
I'm considering buying a Mazda 6, so I'm in research mode and it is great to see reviews like this. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
The 2003-2012 FoMoCo era Mazdas are my least favorite generation nevertheless seem to be holding up quite well.

The New Mazda 6 and especially the Fusion are very nice looking vehicles. At the time I bought this car I was close to buying a Fusion but I couldn't get a manual Fusion from the dealers and the equivalent Ford was more money...and it was assembled in Mexico vs the Mazda6 assembled in Flat Rock, MI.

The 2nd Gen Mazda6 is supposedly very similiar to the Fusions of that era (same frame, many same components) and the Fusions are holding up nicely as well.

Last edited:
returns 28-33mpg depending on driving conditions.

I hope that figure is around town and not combined .... around town that's okay, but combined I would expect at least 40 mpg for a 4 cylinder

Originally Posted By: alex_at
returns 28-33mpg depending on driving conditions.

I hope that figure is around town and not combined .... around town that's okay, but combined I would expect at least 40 mpg for a 4 cylinder

My daughter 2014 Accord returns about 32-34 MPG combined with approximately 60-70% highway.

In US we don't use Imperial gallon. One Imperial gallon is about 1.2 US gallons.

(Update at 115,455 miles - see red text below)

21k miles: Air Filter, Cabin Filter and half a can of 3M car undercoating to repair a scrape to the frame.
32k miles: New grommet which fell out and caused underbody shield rattle ($3.99 dealer part)
58k miles: Replaced manual trans-axle gear oil and refilled with Redline MT-90 75W90.
72k miles: Multiple recalls addressed by dealer (including one for spider webs!)
73k miles: Exhaust leak - repaired exhaust gasket and weld job (Meineke did a great job for ~$95)
75k miles: Replaced OEM battery (pre-emptive replacement as battery was 5yrs old).

90k miles: New serpentine belt
100k miles: 4 new tires
101k miles: 2 new front struts, 2 new rear shocks, new front sway bar links
113k miles: Coolant flush
116k miles: Replaced Takata shrapnel airbag under recall
116k miles: New rear brake pads and rotors (Still on original fronts!)
116k miles: Left axle failure. New left front CV Axle
116k miles: Brake fluid replacements
116k miles: Replaced manual trans-axle gear oil, 75W90.

Lost count of headlights bulbs.
grin.gif
The car was turning very sloppy in left-hand turns. Turns out the left CV axle was shot.

So far, other than maintenance items, the only repairs to the car have been the exhaust leak at 73k miles ($100) and the Left front CV axle at 116k miles ($465).

A few more dents and dings. The spring in the sunglass visor broke recently, and the whole driver light console would need to be replaced ($150 part), but some velcro strips make it look good as new.
whistle.gif

I'm hoping that's it for a while, and I can go another 50k plus with minimum drama. Maintenance *should* be good for a while, since I've swapped out the OEM fluids recently.

When I went to dealer for the airbag recall, I did sit in a new 2018 (2019?) Mazda6 with signature trim and Turbo. What a nice car. I like the CX-5s too.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I drove a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 for 8 years and 158,000 miles. It was a great car.

(Update at 127k miles - see red text below)

116k miles: Left axle failure. New left front CV Axle ($500)
116k miles: Brake fluid replacement
121k miles: Front dash pad material replaced under recall by dealer at no cost.
121k miles: Front brake pads and rotors replaced (were still the original!)
127k miles: Front sub frame was rusted and cracked at the right cross member. Front sub frame was under a recall (poor paint/corrosion resistance from factory) and replaced by dealer at no cost. Even though it is an 8yr old vehicle, it is a recall as there were reports of sub frames failing and people losing steering control of their cars. Loaner vehicle provided for 6 days at no cost during repair. If not for a recall, I assume this repair would have been around $2-3k since the engine and transmission had to be lifted/supported to replace. Dodged a bullet on this repair...

On-going Issues:
Sun-glass visor is broke. New part is $125. Debating if worth fixing since I don't use it, but it is a bit of an eyesore.
Hit standing water and car rattles at highway speed - need to put in a new grommet for plastic under-shielding.
Clutch pedal squeak - dealer "lubricated" and it is slightly better.
Clutch shutters when engaging after car has sat in cold or in the wet. Goes away after a bit of driving. Has been doing this around 100k.

Hoping for 200k miles on this vehicle! I've put a decent bit of money into the car on maintenance/repairs over the last 18 months - so I'm hoping things remain quiet for a while.

Oil changes since new with Synthetic 0w20 every 6k-10k miles. Engine doesn't use any oil between OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMFan
(Update at 127k miles - see red text below)

116k miles: Left axle failure. New left front CV Axle ($500)
116k miles: Brake fluid replacement
121k miles: Front dash pad material replaced under recall by dealer at no cost.
121k miles: Front brake pads and rotors replaced (were still the original!)
127k miles: Front sub frame was rusted and cracked at the right cross member. Front sub frame was under a recall (poor paint/corrosion resistance from factory) and replaced by dealer at no cost. Even though it is an 8yr old vehicle, it is a recall as there were reports of sub frames failing and people losing steering control of their cars. Loaner vehicle provided for 6 days at no cost during repair. If not for a recall, I assume this repair would have been around $2-3k since the engine and transmission had to be lifted/supported to replace. Dodged a bullet on this repair...

On-going Issues:
Sun-glass visor is broke. New part is $125. Debating if worth fixing since I don't use it, but it is a bit of an eyesore.
Hit standing water and car rattles at highway speed - need to put in a new grommet for plastic under-shielding.
Clutch pedal squeak - dealer "lubricated" and it is slightly better.
Clutch shutters when engaging after car has sat in cold or in the wet. Goes away after a bit of driving. Has been doing this around 100k.

Hoping for 200k miles on this vehicle! I've put a decent bit of money into the car on maintenance/repairs over the last 18 months - so I'm hoping things remain quiet for a while.

Oil changes since new with Synthetic 0w20 every 6k-10k miles. Engine doesn't use any oil between OCI.

You really have not put very much money into a vehicle which is approaching a decade and 130K miles of service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back