2011 Mazda6, 2.5L I4, 6,638mi, Mobil 1 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
Both of my Mazda's have the 2.5L with a 5spd automatic. I can get 30mpg in both on a highway trip if I don't push them too hard. They both average around 27.5mpg in mixed driving.

On a Mazda forum I was talking to a few folks with the Mazda3's with the 6spd close ratio MT. Not sure if your's is close ratio or not. My 3 goes 87mph at 3,000 rpm. The guys with the MT hit about 76mph in 6th gear at 3,000rpm.

As for oil....my 2010 6 calls for 5w20...the 2011 3 calls for 0w20. It's my opinion that it's all for CAFE reasons. I'm confident the engines are identical. You should be okay running any 20wt oil. I will probably run the thickest 5w20 I can find in both once my stock pile is gone....most likely M1 5w20 in both. I did run Motorcraft 5w20 in the 6 for the first 30,000 miles but got a really good deal on some M1 so switched to that.

Ok, I checked and the motor does 2,900 RPM at 70mph in 6th gear.

Originally Posted By: GMFan

Why bother with a 6 speed then? A NA 4 cylinder Mazda6 is not such a performance car that you need that many gears between 0 and 70.

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
Both of my Mazda's have the 2.5L with a 5spd automatic. I can get 30mpg in both on a highway trip if I don't push them too hard. They both average around 27.5mpg in mixed driving.

On a Mazda forum I was talking to a few folks with the Mazda3's with the 6spd close ratio MT. Not sure if your's is close ratio or not. My 3 goes 87mph at 3,000 rpm. The guys with the MT hit about 76mph in 6th gear at 3,000rpm.

As for oil....my 2010 6 calls for 5w20...the 2011 3 calls for 0w20. It's my opinion that it's all for CAFE reasons. I'm confident the engines are identical. You should be okay running any 20wt oil. I will probably run the thickest 5w20 I can find in both once my stock pile is gone....most likely M1 5w20 in both. I did run Motorcraft 5w20 in the 6 for the first 30,000 miles but got a really good deal on some M1 so switched to that.

Sounds like it may be very similar to what's in the 3. I'm surprised you get 30mpg on the highway.

More specifically, it does 3,000 RPM in 6th gear at 75mph.

I have gotten 32mpg with four people total in the car with luggage, Air Conditioning on high and 70-75mph average on a full tank of gas highway driving.

I don't think 3,000rpm at 75mph is outrageous for a 6th gear but that's me.

Usually on a new car, if the automatic transmission model is listed as getting better mpg than the manual version it's a tip off that it's a close ratio gear box. That is the case with the Mazda3.

Are folks here in general agreement that the 0w20 manufacturers "recommend" is for fuel economy and a 5w20 would still be acceptable as it is still a 20w? I'm not sure I'm willing to risk using a 5w20 however for warranty reasons....I've debated running a syn blend 5w20 like Motorcraft or just a 5w20 conventional for 6-7,000 miles and call it a day. It's hard to get a definitive answer on questions like this. I was a die-hard conventional user until I cracked open the manual upon purchase of this car and saw Mazda "recommended" an 0w20.

I'm currently running MC 5w20 in my '11 Mazda5 w/the same engine, namely because I'm on a very short OCI (a 2K run after dumping the factory fill at ~1K). I'm due to change the oil next month and then I'll use M1 0w20, as it's about the only brand of 0w~ I can easily find, and will run it out to six months (for warranty purposes).

That said, I've had the same questions about the reasoning for Mazda's grade recommendation for this engine. Furthermore, my 5's owner's manual states that Mexican owners can use 5w20 (and even 5w30). As I live in a temperate northern climate (Pacific Northwest) and I'm not fully convinced that the 0w20 recommendation is purely for lubrication purposes, I'll most likely use Motorcraft when the power train warranty expires.

BTW: I've yet to find a reference in my owner's manual stating that synthetic 0w20 must be used; all it reads is "0w20." As such, one option is the Honda HG 0w20 blend and I thought I read around here that there is a ConocoPhillips blended 0w20 (76?). So perhaps we do have some options besides running M1...though I don't know if finding these oils would be any easier than buying one of the boutiques or ordering online (which brings us back to "having" to run M1). They don't make it easy, do they?

Originally Posted By: Mustang_Cougar
GMFan said:
BTW: I've yet to find a reference in my owner's manual stating that synthetic 0w20 must be used; all it reads is "0w20." As such, one option is the Honda HG 0w20 blend and I thought I read around here that there is a ConocoPhillips blended 0w20 (76?). So perhaps we do have some options besides running M1...though I don't know if finding these oils would be any easier than buying one of the boutiques or ordering online (which brings us back to "having" to run M1). They don't make it easy, do they?

I agree...Mazda only states they "recommend" Castrol and an 0w20 and then mention you can use 5w30 or 10w30 in Mexico. Nowhere does it say "must" or "required." Plenty of lee-way for the dealerships to use other grades of oil and then deny warranty coverage if given the possibility for not using an 0w20.
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back