SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 52.6 55-62

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 8.05 8.8-11.1

Flashpoint in °F 320 >365

Fuel % 2.3
Antifreeze % 0 0

Water % 0 0 0

Insolubles % 0.3
TBN 1.7

Factory Fill, 5880 miles, 22% OLM, 3 1/2 months old.
2011 Buick Lacrosse CSX 3.6L
Note: PF48 oil filter is missing anti-drainback valve. Please read lab comments:
The most unusual find in this report was the 2.3% fuel dilution. It's possible fuel came from
idling or starting the engine right before sampling, so we're not going to get too excited at this point, though
if fuel increases next time, we may start to wonder. The viscosity of this oil was lower than the 5W/30 you
guessed it might be. It's probably a 5W/20. The high wear and silicon are wear-in materials and should
improve next time. Universal averages show normal wear after a 5,200 mile oil run. Go 6,000 miles next oil.

Is the 3.6L direct injection? If so, the fuel dilution did its job in shearing the oil to a 20 weight. I would use synthteic in this engine.

A real euro synthetic or a fake one? A Primary ester based or a PAO or a POE/AN/PAO cocktail? IMO breaking in an engine chews oil up and spits it out and another reason for an early (but not too wasteful ...) dump.

Last edited:
I see the GM 3.6 DI engine is at it again. This motor beats down oils. Although in this case, despite viscosity that has fallen well into the 20s, the wear is really not that bad for a factory fill.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
I see the GM 3.6 DI engine is at it again. This motor beats down oils. Although in this case, despite viscosity that has fallen well into the 20s, the wear is really not that bad for a factory fill.

The iron is reasonable but the copper seems higher than I would have expected even for break in in this engine.

[If one does a search in the UOA section for Traverse or Acadia or Outlook or Enclave or 3.6 there are now many reports all the way from factory fill to over 20k miles. Take a look.]

Not bad results for 6k on the initial fill.

But the thinning scares me...these DI engines just trash the oil.

If this was a true Dexos 1 oil, it would have started at about 11cst, and now it's 8.05.....not even close to a 30-weight anymore.

Its a new engine in early breakin - new engines trash oils. Jeepers, my Yaris would turn PYB into dishwater if I got spunky with it in the first 7500 miles - and it did.

In the old days they actually put in at factory something called breakin oil. What GM put in is a mystery to me. I did find at Mobil site I think that they claim they are factory fill for this vehicle. But I think one of the other brands also claimed that.

Maybe it should be. I took delivery Oct 2010. Owners manual calls for it, but also calls for PF63 oil filter. Local dealers still don't have them and it came with PF48. And that filter is a bad one, missing anti-drainback valve.
I see ads from a dealer about 50 miles away advertising oil changes, dexos part synthetic.

Originally Posted By: E_Net_Rider
I see ads from a dealer about 50 miles away advertising oil changes, dexos part synthetic.

I would imagine it is some ACDelco bulk dexos oil.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Its a new engine in early breakin - new engines trash oils. Jeepers, my Yaris would turn PYB into dishwater if I got spunky with it in the first 7500 miles - and it did.

This 3.6L DI is a completely different beast than that which is found in a Yaris in terms of any UOAs that will be generated in its lifetime.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: E_Net_Rider

I would imagine it is some ACDelco bulk dexos oil.

Probably. My first experience with Mobil 1, 10w30 was a bad one. They mis-bottled with regular oil. They admitted both were done on same line. I did not realize it until I changed at 8500 miles with a second purchase of oil. The first looked very conventional compared to the second which looked like synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

This 3.6L DI is a completely different beast than that which is found in a Yaris in terms of any UOAs that will be generated in its lifetime.

Probably so. What I have learned of 3.6 DI VVT is that it uses a new method in place of EGR system. It keeps the exhaust valve open long enough to draw some of the expelled gases back into the chamber.
I and several others have a pronounced shaking when idling around 1500 RPM. It is very much like testing an EGR valve by manually opening it when idled up. This leads me to believe the exhaust valves may be staying open too long. A lot of low speed driving if held steady would also be around this RPM. Around 2500 miles I suddenly started seeing about 3 MPG less. And there is the big issue of timing chains which I'm sure the system tries to compensate for until it can no longer.

The GM dexos change special here is stated part synthetic. I might have guessed that dexos was to take care of the higher fuel levels associated with 3.6, but assuming my factory fill was dexos, then it would seem not to have worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back