2011 Fusion - intermittent power steering failure with code

2011 Fusion SE 2.5L with electric power steering. Lately every third or fourth start we get a “power steering failure message” (can’t remember exactly how it’s worded) on the dash. Usually shutting the car off and restarting will fix the issue and we’re on our way. I have a Foxwell NT630 scanner so I looked at the real-time steering angle, and it’s all over the place! At any given point “dead-center” on the wheel might be a degree or two off. Or it’s like 20 degrees off. There was a stored code in the system: C1277-20 steering wheel angle sensor signal failure. Thing is, I don’t know if this sensor is actually serviceable. It’s part of the rack I think. Rockauto actually lists a part for this but it’s not correct. We will be selling/trading this car shortly anyway, but I’d like it not to strand us in the meantime.

Have you checked for any damaged wiring? I'd wiggle the wiring while watching the steering angle on live data

My son said a friend's Ford had PS issues related to tire pressure?? I just thought I'd throw that out there.

On my 2013, the angle sensor somehow got stuck on zero and it caused the stability and traction control lights to come on, and the turn signals would not stay on.

So I would not worry about being stranded... if the angle sensor fails, the car should still be driveable.

I yanked around on the connectors a bit and it started working again. The angle sensor is on the rack, on the side where the steering wheel shaft goes in. There is a wire that runs over to the electric motor and I suppose a control module on the passenger side.

Try removing the connector and cleaning it up a bit.

Back