2011 Corolla Transmission fluid change

My son has 110k miles on his 2011 Corolla. I don’t think the transmission fluid has been changed before. It doesn’t look terrible, not red but not burnt or very dark.

Should he do a drain and fill if it has never been changed before or just let it be? He does plan on keeping the car for a few more years.

If he does change it, should he use Valvoline max life or Toyota WS? Read arguments for botj

Thanks

4AT right? should be simple. Not sure I’d drop the pan, want to say it is a strainer. Might be nice to look at the magnets.

If it was me, I’d drain and fill, then pop the cooler line and pump out a quart at a time, using the engine at idle. A full flush. Then its done for 30k or more, after that a simple drain and fill should be fine.

But to be honest, simple drain and fill is likely fine here too. Wouldn’t be me if I wasn’t ocd over this.

I'd do a drain & fill now, saving a sample of the old fluid, and another come Autumn and sample it too.
I like to see some improvement in cleanliness.
And yes, I know visual is no substitute for scientific testing.

Ascertain your transmission's total fluid volume then see how much drains out (as a percentage) so you can track your dirt dillutions more accurately.

+1 on ML. $25.92 a gallon from WM with free shipping over 35. My 2008 Corolla takes just under 3 quarts on a drain and fill. I usually buy a couple and do a D&F every other year.

Thanks everyone. So the consensus seems to be that even though it has 110,000 miles that I drain and fill is not going to hurt anything with the assumption that the car is not showing any transmission issues now? It also sounds like Max life is an acceptable replacement for Toyota brand WS

Thanks everyone. So the consensus seems to be that even though it has 110,000 miles that I drain and fill is not going to hurt anything with the assumption that the car is not showing any transmission issues now? It also sounds like Max life is an acceptable replacement for Toyota brand WS
Piles of threads out there with users using Maxlife ATF. Even dealerships used the stuff, at least in the past. This being that old, I can't see it being a problem.

The 4AT in my Camry isn't the same one, but again, it got Maxlife, along with the 2010 Tundra that did call for WS (it seemed just fine on the stuff).

If it has never been serviced, you can probably get another use or two from the OEM drain plug gasket. NAPA has good replacements in the stock thickness, part # ATM PB2403. The 4-speed plug takes a 10mm Allen socket.

Back