2011 Chevy Cruze LT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys.
I picked up a brand New Chevy Cruze LT.
I have the 1.4 L Turbo Charged motor.
I know my motor is more for economical use and not performance, but my car does have some pep and gets great gas mileage too.
My question is:
I was thinking of adding a cold air intake to it for better and cooler air flow, hoping to get better gas mileage and slightly quicker acceleration. I know these dont add much hp but I was considering buying one.
What would be better?
K & N Short Ram Cold Air Intake (In engine bay)??
K & N Cold Air Intake through fender into front bumper??

Im not gonna go crazy with this car I just want a little mods here and there to improve power slightly. What does everyone sugest or does anyone object and have a reason why?
Im getting mixed answers, stating that the intake will help and others say it wont do anything.
What gives???
Thanks

While under warranty I think the only intake you can install without voiding it is a K&N, I would ask your dealer before you install anything.

I would avoid the k&n gauze/oil filters, because of your mass air flow sensor. I do like their intake kits over all, i'd just try to avoid the gauze/oil filters.

aFe and spectre performance both make "dry" filters, i'm sure that there's more than that though..

what about a dry filter short ram or cold air made by k&n? Im financing the car so Im not worried but I def dont want to void the warranty. I can always install the stock filter when I need to go to the dealership lol.

Get the Trifecta tune, it will bump the HP to about 170, and the torque to about 200lb/ft. Adding an intake won't help anything really, due to the nature of forced induction engines.

Does the 1.4T have an intercooler? Even if it doesn't, a "cold" air intake really won't make much of a difference, considering that the intake temps on a turbo'd car are quite high, considering the heat that 1) the turbo generates and 2) the heat that compressed air generates. However, the increased airflow that aftermarket air intakes offer may help you slightly, as well as amplify the bypass valve noise and turbo spool
48.gif
You really wanna get quicker acceleration? Install a catless large-diameter downpipe. I built boost so quickly on my SRT-4 that I was blowing out the spark under low RPM WOT; had to gap the plugs down. But all that fun stuff is only for AFTER your warranty runs out!

Last edited:
Hey Nick R. How much would that Trifeca Tune Run me and where can I go to get it? Thats a great upgrade. Stock I have 138hp. If I can shoot from 138hp to 170hp that would be awesome.

Klutch that sounds awesome
I have a 7 year bumper to bumper warranty but a 5 year or 100,000 miles powertrain warranty. I would really like to do something like that trifeca tune if I can increase that much hp. plus smaller add on's like an aftermarket intake and maybe an exhaust system at one point. Anyone know if the trifeca tune voids the warranty? and if I change out the exhaust does that void my whole waaranty or just covering the exhaust?
Im financing so I can do whatever I want to it but the downside is if something goes wrong I wasted a warranty for free repairs which will suck.

Originally Posted By: JMac101
Klutch that sounds awesome
I have a 7 year bumper to bumper warranty but a 5 year or 100,000 miles powertrain warranty. I would really like to do something like that trifeca tune if I can increase that much hp. plus smaller add on's like an aftermarket intake and maybe an exhaust system at one point. Anyone know if the trifeca tune voids the warranty? and if I change out the exhaust does that void my whole waaranty or just covering the exhaust?
Im financing so I can do whatever I want to it but the downside is if something goes wrong I wasted a warranty for free repairs which will suck.

Honestly I'm not sure. If the engine explodes due to the tune, then I'm pretty sure it voids it, but that seems unlikely. I wouldn't touch the exhaust, there isn't much sound to come out of it, and it probably WILL invalidate the warranty on the turbo and bypass valve.

From their updates section of their website

UPDATE (11/29/10) 2011 Chevrolet Cruze 1.4L Turbo Tuning Now Available!

It's been a busy few weeks here at Trifecta! We purchased a Chevy Cruze LTZ a few weeks ago, and as you might expect it didn't stay stock for too long. We've been busy tuning and tweaking and managed to get a gain of about 36HP and 54TQ on an otherwise completely stock vehicle. This is a 31% gain in HP and 38% gain in torque! Check out the dyno section for the official dyno sheet! We are setting the retail price on our Cruze tune at $350, and will be offering the tune for $300 for the rest of the year as an introductory offer (includes transmission tuning).

Here is a list of dealers
http://trifectaperformance.com/dealers.aspx

A little patience may pay off here as well. There is a Cruze SS in development, I'm not sure which engine they are tuning for use in the SS. But if it does turn out to be the 1.4, then as usual, most of the tune up parts will be made available through GMPP.

I like your idea dwcopple..

and

Nick R. checked out the prices it is $350 for the Trifecta tune and claims it can gain up to a 31% hp increase.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
A little patience may pay off here as well. There is a Cruze SS in development, I'm not sure which engine they are tuning for use in the SS. But if it does turn out to be the 1.4, then as usual, most of the tune up parts will be made available through GMPP.

I'd like to see the 2.0T from the solstice made available in the Cruze. Can you say sleeper?

so what does everyone think of a trifecta tune and a short ram intake (K&N)? Or should I wait it out and see what they do with the Cruze SS?

I'd do the Trifecta Tune....$350 for a 31% bump is a pretty darn good ROI. When there, I'd ask the Trifecta guys about what they recommend for an intake - their tune may work best with a certain intake.

Just to be clear, and to make sure the OP understands. A tune is not invisible when applied, your dealer will know a tune has been applied even if you reflash back to the original tune before visiting for warranty work.

I'm not saying not to do it...just want to make sure you know it's not any safer warranty wise than an intake or other after market parts...personally, I never let a warranty get in the way of a good mod(Magnuson-Moss is a powerful tool)...the reason I suggested the SS tune is you seem concerned with warranty and having it voided. It's likely that any GMPP parts/tunes that may be offered in the near future will not void your warranty.

Originally Posted By: JMac101
so what does everyone think of a trifecta tune and a short ram intake (K&N)? Or should I wait it out and see what they do with the Cruze SS?

It is forced induction, there is NO reason (and NO BENEFIT) to install a "short ram" or some sort of hokey aftermarket "CAI" on this car if the stock air intake system is not restrictive.

Most of these "tunerzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" intake "kits" just make the engine loud and cause it to ingest hot air through a less efficient filter. The factory systems are actually often very well designed. And often all that is needed is the deletion of a silencer or two.

Rip the front bumper off and delete the factory "snorkel". It's a giant restriction, funneling to a 4 square inch area at one point. The factory airbox pulls air from the front fenderwell through a 3" diameter hose after that. I wouldn't worry about the exhaust since the factory exhaust is a mandrel-bent stainless-steel one with no obvious restrictions.

The Trifecta tune REQUIRES 91 or 93 octane, even in "economy" mode. You'll either need to rent or buy the cable to flash the car, so budget for that, too.

I looked at the Trifecta tune, then heard about Eco owners roasting the clutch shortly thereafter, so decided against it. The automatic folks fare better since the AT is beefier than the MT's clutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back