2010 Nissan Altima 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! Love this site! Been lurking for awhile. I just bought a new Nissan Altima with the 2.5 4 cyl. I do my own oil changes. I have 1773 miles on the car now. I have allways used Valvoline conventional oil in the past but have been using Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic for the last few years without a problem. I spent alot of time reading members UOA's...There seems to be a trend of Mobil 1 showing high copper/lead(metals)

Should I be concerned? I planned on using the regular Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic in my Altima and changing it and the filter every 5000 miles. I am currently running this oil in my 2008 Silverado with 23,000 miles without a problem. My 2001 Toyota 4cyl Camry had 154000 Mobil 1 miles on it when a deer totaled it out.

Just wondering if the oil is as good as it used to be.

"Is it as good as it used to be"? that's a loaded question!! when M1 first hit the shelves it was good for 15k miles. now you have to get the "extended protection" line to get the same quality - and of course oil ratings have changed along the way. The simple answer to your question is: yes, use M1 with confidence. you can even run it much longer than 5k miles, if you like. Enjoy your altima - I really like the styling on them! and the room!

Your new Altima will love M1 changed at 5k just as much as your truck does :) You cannot go wrong doing that.

Curious...does your new Altima call for 5W-30 oil? I think most of the newer cars are using 5W-20 these days, for CAFE reasons.

My only question is why 5K miles? the owners manual says 7500 on conventional oil not to use synthetic oils.. yah one of nissans oddities? least on my G35 it says all that

Originally Posted By: Dieseldoctor
My only question is why 5K miles? the owners manual says 7500 on conventional oil not to use synthetic oils.. yah one of nissans oddities? least on my G35 it says all that

Usually they will say synthetic oil can be used if it meets the so and so specs and has the so and so seal blah blah blah.

I run Mobil 1 5W30 EP in my 2007 Frontier with either a Pure One or NAPA Gold (Wix) filter. This is the 6 cyl VQ40 engine and it does just great.

I'm running PP in my 2010 Rogue, which has the same engine. I did the first change at around 1100 miles. I will go with the 7500 mile interval, based on my driving style.

Yes,my Altima calls for 5w30. It does not say anything about not using synthetic.

Thanks for the great answers. I may go for 6000 mile OCI's.

My 03 Altima 2.5 owners manual says not to use synthetic oil. It's only seen dino with 5k/6month OCI's, but I wouldn't hesitate to use synthetic if I chose to.

I have no idea why it says not to use synthetic.
21.gif

Congrats on the new Altima.

welcome2.gif

Off Topic,

My son bought a 2010 Rougue, I am concerned for his engine in the QR.

I had a 03 Altima and now a 05 Xtrail bought years ago new, both with the QR25DE. In 03 the QR had cat problems, intake screws coming loose. I thought these issues on my 05 QR were all resolved when I bought it in 05, the X-trail is purebred Japanese built in Japan and back then in 04-05 posts in BITOG stated all Japanese built QR had these issues resolved in 2004+.

I now learn they ARE NOT resolved in 05 on Xtrail and other Nissan forums all over the world. In Canada Nissan will NOT recall these problems, Nissan will not take responsibility as will a company like Toyota.

If Nissan resolved these issues then when? Anyone know?

Cyprs

Originally Posted By: DanJ
I'm running PP in my 2010 Rogue, which has the same engine. I did the first change at around 1100 miles. I will go with the 7500 mile interval, based on my driving style.

2008 Rogue here, so same engine as the Altima.
Using PP with great satisfaction (I even put a little bit of 5W20 with the 5W30).
I do 7500 miles interval too.

Originally Posted By: Cyprs

Off Topic,

My son bought a 2010 Rougue, I am concerned for his engine in the QR.

I had a 03 Altima and now a 05 Xtrail bought years ago new, both with the QR25DE. In 03 the QR had cat problems, intake screws coming loose. I thought these issues on my 05 QR were all resolved when I bought it in 05, the X-trail is purebred Japanese built in Japan and back then in 04-05 posts in BITOG stated all Japanese built QR had these issues resolved in 2004+.

I now learn they ARE NOT resolved in 05 on Xtrail and other Nissan forums all over the world. In Canada Nissan will NOT recall these problems, Nissan will not take responsibility as will a company like Toyota.

If Nissan resolved these issues then when? Anyone know?

Cyprs

I heard this story on NicoClub (one of the mod had a 03 Altima before the Rogue and got the engine changed under warranty).

He told us the 03 Altima QR25DE was the first generation of this engine, and the engine in the Rogue (and the 10 Altima) is the second generation of this engine. They changed quite a lot of stuff in this engine compared to the 03 Altima, so we should not have the same problem now.

Thanks Pesca, when did the QR go to the "second generation"? that is basically is my question. In 02 to about end of 03 on the QRs Nissan allowed Americanized bearings in the QRs, along with cat remapping nightmares and loose intake screw etc.

Back in 05 when I bought my QR25 Xtrial I then believed that 04+ Japanese built QR engines had corrected these issues. I then learned that they did NOT after I bought the piece of [censored] in 05. I learned the bull [censored] is still going on with intake screws on my 05 QR25 and the same cat issues, I understand Nissan put on some washers on the intakes screws that still fail miserably in design flaws. I also now learn that lock tighting the intake screws is a short term fix and should be redone every 70k kms as a maintenance item. That is 3 hours in service bays on labor at $110.00 per hour at MY expense to deal with Nissans failure.

QR25DEs in Japanese made QRs post 2004 to "whenever?" are still suddenly consuming oil and losing power due to intake screws coming loose and destroying engines, I also hear the cat converters are destroying with pieces of cat going into engines and killing the engines. SOME do get engines replaced, MOST do NOT, it is a lottery that will generally render LOSS. Nissan Canada is NOT the same corporate citizen Toyota now shows.

My X-trail has 1 month warrantee left, no such trauma has happened, nor will it because I dont do high revs or nasty bumpy driving which I understand increases the chance of intake screws coming loose, that does not mean they wont some day and if it happens my engine is toast without warning instantly over someting so simple and minute as intake screw fastening. So, I guess I cant drive my Nissan with revs or use this "rugged" AWD over bumps, I have to slow down on the #1 Highway over railway tracks or risk destroying my engine. I actually do slow down over smallest of bumps to prevent my QR from having intake screws fall into my engine and destroy it, I do this because I know Nissan is not going to stand behind this X-trail on or off warrantee.

Customers like myself in 05 believed that Nissan engineers within a 4 year period would have these simplistic problem of 8 intake screws being fastened properly, this is not rocket science.

Toyota halts all factory and sales operations over a simple gas pedal issue VOLUNTARILY, Nissan will not over intake screws killing engines, instead they repeat the exact same mistakes for YEARS KNOWINGLY. I believe any certified mechanic could come up with a permanent solution quickly and effectively. I have 0 faith left in a company who in pure neglegence will continue to push out QR engines for years with a petty issue of a few intake screws not address to prevent engine destruction.

I have other shamefull examples of Nissan, google " X-trail brakes" and read those nightmares of Nissan design failings and NO responsiblity on Nissan behalf for one example.

So how long did it take Nissan to address petty intake screw issues, how many YEARS of engineering did it take, when did the second QR generation start? It is like the old joke, how many men and days did it take to change a light bulb?

My comments are against Nissan Pesca, not you.

Cyprs

Originally Posted By: sayjac
My 03 Altima 2.5 owners manual says not to use synthetic oil. It's only seen dino with 5k/6month OCI's, but I wouldn't hesitate to use synthetic if I chose to.

I have no idea why it says not to use synthetic.
21.gif

Are you sure it says NOT to use synthetic? I am driving our 6th and 7th Nissans currently, and I've never seen that in any of the manuals. They do say that additives are not needed or recommended.

They do recommend dino, usually they just reference API certification mark and 5W-30.

I've read multiple places that EPA requires manufacturers to "Recommend" whatever oil is in the engine when it's certified, presumably to prevent them using a high dollar/low viscosity oil in order to get some better MPG numbers.

I really only looked recently at the specific type (viscosity I knew) when Critic posted there was no longer a 'dino only' recommendation, or words to that effect. Until becoming a Bitoger, dino is all I used anyway. With some great rebates, closeouts and such posted on the promo board, I've been buying/using some synthetics now.

Anyway, specifically you are correct, it doesn't outright prohibit synthetic. It does say: "NISSAN recommends mineral based oils. These oils must, however, meet the API quality and SAE viscosity ratings specified for your vehicle." However, then it says: "Do not mix mineral based and synthetic type oils in the engine." Why, I have no idea.

They also don't recommend the use of fuel additives, which they say can be harmful to the fuel system and engine. I've used Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner and Techron occasionally anyway.

Some odd recommendations if you ask me.

If the manual states 7.5k, and you're using M1, do 7.5k. Anything less would be a waste of money. If you want to stick with 5k oci's use a good spec conventional. It'll work just as well and some would argue better.

Originally Posted By: Cyprs
QR25DEs in Japanese made QRs post 2004 to "whenever?" are still suddenly consuming oil and losing power due to intake screws coming loose and destroying engines, I also hear the cat converters are destroying with pieces of cat going into engines and killing the engines. SOME do get engines replaced, MOST do NOT, it is a lottery that will generally render LOSS. Nissan Canada is NOT the same corporate citizen Toyota now shows.

I thought the catalytic converter material being sucked into the engine was a bigger issue than the screws, but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: Unearthed
Originally Posted By: Dieseldoctor

Usually they will say synthetic oil can be used if it meets the so and so specs and has the so and so seal blah blah blah.

In my mom's 2010 Altima, the manual says it recommends Genuine Nissan Ester Oil for the V6 model, which is the one we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back