2010 Mazda 3 A/C Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Fusion Hybrid will "hang meat". It has a variable speed electric drive compressor. It works fine at speed or idling. All my Mazda Miatas had marginal AC systems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Xman77
Mazda simply doesn't make great A/C systems.

I have heard that from a few people down here...Seems like Mazda is not the car hot humid climates.

Solo2Driver just reminded me to check the cabin air filter. Although at 9300 miles and 1 year, I doubt the cabin air filter is clogged. But I'll check before I take it in.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: Xman77
Mazda simply doesn't make great A/C systems.

I have heard that from a few people down here...Seems like Mazda is not the car hot humid climates.

That's the truth. My Mazda6 A/C is OK, but when it gets really hot out here, combined with the black leather interior, makes it take a while to cool. Have to keep it set mostly on recir and fan on nearly high to get it tolerable inside.

There is a simple mod that will improve the A/C performance on the 3. You have to put a resistor on the thermistor's wiring harness connector, check out Mazda 3 forums.

I used a 47 kOhm resistor and my A/C is great, the compressor doesn't cycle as often and on longer drives I have to turn the temperature knob up a little, something I never had to do before. I did this over a year ago and so far so good even with the latest heat wave we have in Ontario.

One thing you have to be aware of though, is the possibility of the evaporator core freeze up. I never had it happen last year, pretty mild summer, but this year on my trip to Montreal I noticed that the air flow was getting really low towards the end of the trip, so I turned off the A/C, and for about 20 minutes I had cold air without the A/C on
grin2.gif
, when everything went aback to normal I increased the temp. a bit and it never happened again.

marginal a/c systems would be a deal killer here in the South. a few weeks ago it was 110 degrees with the heat index. it was scorchin

Now lets be clear about this so we are all on the same page.

You should not(why would you is my question) operate the A/C in hot, humid weather without recirc. on. Hec anytime you use the A/C in hot weather recirc. should be on. I even tend to use it in defrost depending on the outside weather.

If you are and complaining about A/C performance than the fault lies within you. No A/C system is designed to constantly be trying to cool 90F+ air from the outside. Imagine how much electricity you'd use at home if instead cooling air inside the house it was constantly sucking in outside heat.

As I said before if I keep it on high with recirc. on it will hang meat but no one drives around with it like that. It automatically keeps it at 72F and seems to do just fine.

Last edited:
Thermo - If it's not excessively hot out (85 or less) , once the car is cooled down, flipping to outside air is often enough to keep it cool. Recirc is definitely more efficent though.

Why? That is just against the purpose of running the a/c at all in my eyes. It isn't just more efficient, it was designed to be used that way. If it is that hot & high humidity running it like that to me is just stupid especially if it is a vari-displacement compressor.

Anything under 80F with low humidity I could see the point, my Forester turns off recirc. automatically around that.

Yeah, if it's variable displacement, it's a waste. However, in a standard system (compressor always running, blending for temp control), if it stays cool on outside air with the fan on low, recirc has minimal benefits. If you have to turn up the fan, or have a variable displacement compressor, keep it on recirc.

I agrre with Thermo, recirc should really be a no brainer in really humid and hot situations. Having said that, most people never bother or don't even know what the purpose of recirc is.

Just take a look around when stopped. If you see a car stopped at the red ligh and there is a pool of water dripping from underneath, chances are the A/C is working overtime as air setting is on fresh.

Yep. My passengers always complain when I have the Jeep A/C on recirc, as it more than doubles the amount of fan noise in the cabin, so when the auto temp control has the fan cranked to initially get it cooled off, it gets LOUD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back