More Bad Luck with New Parts

The factory Motorcraft AC compressor on my Grand Marquis failed last year, and I revamped the entire system in July with the following components:

• Compressor: Denso 471-8106 (Korea)
  • Compressor bolt (forward): -N806184-S437 (United States)
  • Compressor bolt (rearward): W705858-S301 (United States)
  • Condenser: Motorcraft YJ-632 /Ford XW1Z-19712-AC (Mexico)
  • Evaporator: Motorcraft YK-201/Ford YW7Z-19850-DA (Mexico)
  • Accumulator: Motorcraft YF-2685/Ford YW1Z-19C836-AA (Canada)
  • Orifice tube: Motorcraft YG-343/Ford F5DZ-19D990-AB (United States)
  • Suction hose: Motorcraft YF-37190/Ford 1W1Z-19867-AB (Mexico)
  • Discharge hose: Motorcraft YF-2510/Ford 1W1Z-19972-AA (Mexico)
  • Liquid hose: Motorcraft YF-2861/Ford 1W7Z-19835-AA (Mexico)
  • Valve (high side): Motorcraft YF-2539/Ford F8RZ-19D701-AA (United States)

My reason for purchasing a Denso compressor was primarily because the OE Design Motorcraft YCC-495 was made in China, and I was put off by it. The factory compressor was made in Korea, which matched the Denso, and I've never had any issues with any Denso product I've used in the last couple of years.

I never had any troubles with the system for the past 8 months and 3,000 miles (this vehicle doesn't get driven a lot); but a month ago I lost my turn signals, air conditioning and reverse lights (all on this circuit) out of the blue. There was also an issue with the shift interlock, and after some snooping around, I found fuse #16 (15 amp) under the dashboard was blown. I checked the wiring for the reverse lights and the turn signals, and found no issues. The grounds were all clean and good. Scratching my head, I replaced the fuse and everything was normal again for a couple of days, until the fuse blew again.

At this point, instead of replacing the fuse, I used a fuse tester and kept an eye on it for the next couple of days. Everything seemed normal, until I was stuck in traffic for roughly 45 minutes and the fuse "blew" as soon as the AC clutch kicked in and I had my "AHA!" moment. There were no issues when the temperatures were cooler, and I was not driving in traffic, but as soon as things started to heat up, the AC clutch would trip the fuse.

The clutch coil (Motorcraft YB-519/Ford F5VY-19D798-A) is only $24, but for testing purposes, I decided to pull the coil off my old compressor and switch it over to the new one. I did this with the compressor installed, and it was a relatively straight forward and easy process. The old coil has now been on there for the past 3 weeks and 974 miles with no issues, and I'm just going to leave it on there.

The compressor, other than an issue with the clutch coil, is not giving me any trouble and the air conditioning is still ice cold, even in higher temperatures. Shame the coil was bad, but luckily it was an easy fix.

When my a/c compressor in my 07 F150 went out (last year-2021) I had it replaced with a new (not rebuilt) 4 Seasons a/c compressor with clutch. It has a 2 year/24K mile warranty. I looked at every compressor made and chose the 4 Seasons because of its great reviews and the warranty.
I can hang meat in my truck, it gets that cold. ;)

When my a/c compressor in my 07 F150 went out (last year-2021) I had it replaced with a new (not rebuilt) 4 Seasons a/c compressor with clutch. It has a 2 year/24K mile warranty. I looked at every compressor made and chose the 4 Seasons because of its great reviews and the warranty.
I can hang meat in my truck, it gets that cold. ;)
I had always wondered about the quality of 4 seasons parts, because they are always listed for a pretty cheap price point. Thanks for the info!!

I had always wondered about the quality of 4 seasons parts, because they are always listed for a pretty cheap price point. Thanks for the info!!
Four Seasons stuff in general is junk. Their compressors may be a hidden jewel, I couldn't say.

IIRC all the Murray cooling/HVAC stuff at O'Reilly is reboxed Four Seasons

Four Seasons stuff in general is junk. Their compressors may be a hidden jewel, I couldn't say.

IIRC all the Murray cooling/HVAC stuff at O'Reilly is reboxed Four Seasons
Thats what I suspected.. A new four seasons rad for my car is like $80.. I figured it would garbage.

I did use their cooling fans for my taurus years ago, they were running fine still after three years. It was either them or motorcraft, and the MC ones were way too expensive for what they are.

Thanks for responding!

The Denso compressor is more than likely a reboxed Hanon Climate Systems one - it was a joint venture with Halla Compressor and Visteon for supplying Hyundai. Visteon sold their stake to the Koreans.

I’ve been seeing more Chinese or Korean Denso/Delphi clones being sold these days.

The Denso compressor is more than likely a reboxed Hanon Climate Systems one - it was a joint venture with Halla Compressor and Visteon for supplying Hyundai. Visteon sold their stake to the Koreans.

I’ve been seeing more Chinese or Korean Denso/Delphi clones being sold these days.
It more than likely is; compared to the OE compressor it is almost virtually identical and that comes as no surprise, considering the OE compressor is a Visteon and made in Korea as well.

That said, I'm not sure who manufactures the "OE Design" Motorcraft compressor in China.

Be glad it was just the coil! As I started reading the post I was expecting it to end with the compressor grenading.
Definitely could have been worse. That said, it certainly did get on my nerves, considering I went all out and not only replaced everything but allowed my OCD to kick in when buying all the parts.

Back