2010 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T Oil help!

Hey everyone. So I've come across many forums and discussion on the type of oil that should be used in a genesis coupe turbo and I've read so much that many drivers primarily select 5w40 oil over 5w30 in their turbo charged car mainly reason being that a 40grade oil offers better protection and performance with the high temperatures that the turbo will put out stating that when a 5w40 oil gets to higher temps it will start to run as a 5w30 oil. For context the owners manual of my car states thats it can take 5w20/30/40 oil but ive read that I should stay away from 5w20 in this car as Hyundai really only recommended that oil for improved fuel economy and really the thinner oil will not do well for the protection of the car.
I for myself am a pretty calm driver. Im not one to take the car to a track day and beat the hell out of it for a day. My car is my go to daily driver for everything. I just want the best protection for my engine. For more context I live So. California, and emission are strict here. And im not to sure if switching the oil will effect any of that on my car

Now I wanted to come here and ask for suggestion on what oil should I use for my next oil change. My car currently is running with Royal Purple 5w30 at 125k original miles on the car running strong and healthy. Personally with all my cars I change the oil at 3000-5000 intervals no matter what. Ive slightly become convinced that I should make the switch over to 5w40 to protect the car engine and the turbo but I would like to know if that is the right choice. Can anyone give me suggestions on what should I do? And if your a genesis owner like me I would like to know what is it that you put in your engine?

Also I would like to add any suggestion on what brand to use. Many 5w40 are listed as European grade oils. Now personally I wouldn't mind spending the money for a higher end oil like amsoil or motul. In essence I just need help being point in the right direction!

Hyundai did release a TSB stating for maximum engine life in several turbo engines, to use 5W40, not 5W30 as stated on the oil cap.

I misstated it and there may be another TSB I don't know of, but here:

45763787_10161281323335790_4185743120861757440_o.jpg

with this in mind are there any recommendations to which 5w40 oil I should go with. A lot of them are branded as "European oil" and that throws me off on what to choose. I do know what if anything I need something with an API rating of SN.

with this in mind are there any recommendations to which 5w40 oil I should go with. A lot of them are branded as "European oil" and that throws me off on what to choose. I do know what if anything I need something with an API rating of SN.
Mobil 1 0w-40
Quaker State Euro 5w-40 seems like a VERY good deal if your local Walmart stocks it
Pretty much any euro 5w-40.
Don't be afraid of the Euro oils.

~230k mi on our 2013 Santa Fe 2.0T using 5w30, 10w30, 0w40, 15w40 and 5w40, but mostly Valvoline Synpower 5w30 APN SN. Zero problems and the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned. Pick your favorite current synthetic and you'll be fine.

125K on 5W-30 and the car is running “strong and healthy”, which indicates the 5W-30 has been doing exactly what it’s intended to do. Why do you think 5W-40 is going to provide “better protection and performance” and how will you know it is?

125K on 5W-30 and the car is running “strong and healthy”, which indicates the 5W-30 has been doing exactly what it’s intended to do. Why do you think 5W-40 is going to provide “better protection and performance” and how will you know it is?
i just recently bought this car about a month ago at the mileage its at. I don't know what the previous owner had running in the engine. When i first bought the car I first changed the oil to RP 5w30. which so far so good. but If hyundai stated in their TBA(which ive just recently learned about) that 5w40 should be used. I think so it should help in the long run. never too late to change the oil type

i just recently bought this car about a month ago at the mileage its at. I don't know what the previous owner had running in the engine. When i first bought the car I first changed the oil to RP 5w30. which so far so good. but If hyundai stated in their TBA(which ive just recently learned about) that 5w40 should be used. I think so it should help in the long run. never too late to change the oil type
Well, you didn’t say initially that you don’t know the history of the vehicle. The five year old TSB is irrelevant since the owners manual says 5W-40 can be used and it wasn’t issued for that MY engine.

Mobil 1 0w-40
Quaker State Euro 5w-40 seems like a VERY good deal if your local Walmart stocks it
Pretty much any euro 5w-40.
Don't be afraid of the Euro oils.
mobil 1 seems like the go to for my next oil change! By chance do you know what the "FS" or "MS" on some oil bottles mean? Mobil 1 0w40/5w40 have this FS label on it and im not sure what the pertains to

mobil 1 seems like the go to for my next oil change! By chance do you know what the "FS" or "MS" on some oil bottles mean? Mobil 1 0w40/5w40 have this FS label on it and im not sure what the pertains to
FS - Fuel Savings

But M1 0w40 has a high ash content that may contribute to elevated intake valve deposits. The ESP formulas are a better choice if that's a concern for the end user. "ESP" stands for Emissions Systems Protection.

This engine is not DI so there is zero issues running Mobil 1 0w40 FS. Intake deposits are nothing to be concerned about with port FI.
Yes, just realized he stated 2010. I stand corrected and M1 0w40 is a great choice as well. Not to mention easy to find.

Hey everyone. So I've come across many forums and discussion on the type of oil that should be used in a genesis coupe turbo and I've read so much that many drivers primarily select 5w40 oil over 5w30 in their turbo charged car mainly reason being that a 40grade oil offers better protection and performance with the high temperatures that the turbo will put out stating that when a 5w40 oil gets to higher temps it will start to run as a 5w30 oil. For context the owners manual of my car states thats it can take 5w20/30/40 oil but ive read that I should stay away from 5w20 in this car as Hyundai really only recommended that oil for improved fuel economy and really the thinner oil will not do well for the protection of the car.
I for myself am a pretty calm driver. Im not one to take the car to a track day and beat the hell out of it for a day. My car is my go to daily driver for everything. I just want the best protection for my engine. For more context I live So. California, and emission are strict here. And im not to sure if switching the oil will effect any of that on my car

Now I wanted to come here and ask for suggestion on what oil should I use for my next oil change. My car currently is running with Royal Purple 5w30 at 125k original miles on the car running strong and healthy. Personally with all my cars I change the oil at 3000-5000 intervals no matter what. Ive slightly become convinced that I should make the switch over to 5w40 to protect the car engine and the turbo but I would like to know if that is the right choice. Can anyone give me suggestions on what should I do? And if your a genesis owner like me I would like to know what is it that you put in your engine?

Also I would like to add any suggestion on what brand to use. Many 5w40 are listed as European grade oils. Now personally I wouldn't mind spending the money for a higher end oil like amsoil or motul. In essence I just need help being point in the right direction!
I vote 5w40/0w40. I use it in my NA Hyundai engine specd for 5w20 with no problems. No real difference in fuel economy either. No need for boutique oils, euro certs are already very high performance.

You just need to go with API-SP rated 40wt oil... thats it! Plenty of options out there now... besides go with the cheapest deal you can find as you are supposed to only push the OCI to 6months max (as per manufacturer's reco)... over here currently QSFS 5W40 is a darling at the moment...

What oil have you gone with? If you feel little uneasy about 40wt oil... I suggest you try (QSFS or any SP rated synthetic) 10W30 and see how it goes... Its a good compromise dor this engine it seems...

Back