2010 FX4 | MS5K 5W-20 SN | 5.4L | 7,394mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: bigt61
2015_PSD - How much weight were you towing? These new GM V8 trucks are using 0W-20 now and I don't see any recommendation to use a heavier oil when towing.
The fifth wheel was 7800# empty so I am guessing in the 8500# to 9000# range when fully loaded (I never weighed it loaded). Ford had no "alternative" oil selection for towing either and I am certain that if xW-20 was a problem I would have seen it first hand pulling a load like that in 117F heat.

I even went so far as to switch from 5W-20 at 100K to 0W-20 for the next 60K while extending the OCIs out to 15K with no issues whatsoever! The part I always thought was a funny was that I would have more wear metals in the UOAs towing in -15F than I would in 117F. What many fail to remember is that Ford went out of their way to torture test xW-20 and that testing was also to back spec it for older engines. I will continue to stand by my statement that the fears surrounding xW-20 are unfounded in engines that are specified to use it.
I've never seen an F150 tow a 5th wheel?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I've never seen an F150 tow a 5th wheel?
I do not have any photos of mine handy, but here are a few for you to peruse:

F-150s towing fifth wheel trailers
Wow! I would have thought the bed was too short.
You have to have the proper hitch (not mine, but it was similar to this):

reesehitch.jpg

Originally Posted By: tig1
By the way. Didn't you do quite a bit of towing using M1 0-20 in your F150?
About 45% of the 160K was spent towing in the mountains and in temperatures ranging from -15F to 117F. This is why I continue to say the fears surrounding xW-20 oils are completely unfounded. Though the wear metals increased slightly when towing and a bit more when towing in the cold versus not towing, xW-20 had outstanding performance even under a heavy load.
Does the engine have an oil cooler?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Does the engine have an oil cooler?
Yes, it did. An OEM cooler as part of the towing package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back