2010 FX4 | MS5K 5W-20 SN | 5.4L | 7,394mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Another question, this conclusion that dino and synthetic are equivalent only applies in cases where the manufacturer spec allows a dino oil, right?

If the manufacturer spec necessitates a synthetic oil, would you still believe it to be possible that a dino could perform as well as a syn?

Rather than think about the German specs, how about Toyotas requirement of 0w20. In many cases, a 5w20 dino was previously allowable for those same engines. Would you have no hesitation in running a dino 5w20 in a 2014 Toyota that requires 0w20 for the same oci?

Not with the same OCI, at least with previous API SH, SJ.

Mercedes had to pay tens of millions back in 2000 to settle a lawsuit about sludge engines when owners used dino instead of synthetic with up to 15-18k miles OCI. The owner manual didn't clearly say that synthetic is required.

In case of Toyota, the OCI is doubled with synthetic 0W20. I think the main advantage of synthetic is longer OCI and extreme temperature. For normal everyday use in non-hostile environment and medium OCI, dino and synthetic are the same.

Side note, most of my stash are synthetic because it was cheaper then dino when I bought it.

Dave, thanks for your responses. Much appreciated. I like results too and am asking questions precisely because you have the data!

I'll read your article again.

Do you have any instances of conventional oil being used for 10k+ in German motors? If I interpret you correctly, you have oci's that go to 15k and across all vehicles, there is no difference between dino and syn. For domestic and Japanese vehicles this makes sense given manufacturer oil specs. But for German vehicles, the oil specs are higher.

Look. You are trying to take 1 specific,ideal,situation,and extrapolate to all situations. Flawed reasoning. Each drive,driver,engine,operating condition,etc.,etc.,etc.,is unique. This uoa is unique:No other uoa will be the same. You get information here and you apply it to your UNIQUE SITUATION,which,IS NOT the op's UNIQUE SITUATION. Caps for emphasis:Not yelling.

Yes, exactly correct. This UOA is unique and can be used to help the OP. A different vehicle with the same oil and same distance driven could have very different results.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Yes, exactly correct. This UOA is unique and can be used to help the OP. A different vehicle with the same oil and same distance driven could have very different results.

01.gif

FZ1, Mystic, DragRace:

I'm not talking about one UOA, I'm talking about Dave's findings from his huge data set.

Please don't assume something that was never said or even implied!

I just stumbled upon the thread and read all 9 pages.....did the OP (2015_PSD) ever run the ST(Warren) or PYB or any other dino for comparison?

It really is amazing how good the latest dinos are....

Originally Posted By: pbm
I just stumbled upon the thread and read all 9 pages.....did the OP (2015_PSD) ever run the ST(Warren) or PYB or any other dino for comparison?

It really is amazing how good the latest dinos are....
PBM - I just saw this post. Here are all of the 2010 FX4 UOAs. I will send you a PM with the same information.

Originally Posted By: tig1
By the way. Didn't you do quite a bit of towing using M1 0-20 in your F150?
About 45% of the 160K was spent towing in the mountains and in temperatures ranging from -15F to 117F. This is why I continue to say the fears surrounding xW-20 oils are completely unfounded. Though the wear metals increased slightly when towing and a bit more when towing in the cold versus not towing, xW-20 had outstanding performance even under a heavy load.

2015_PSD - How much weight were you towing? These new GM V8 trucks are using 0W-20 now and I don't see any recommendation to use a heavier oil when towing.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
2015_PSD - How much weight were you towing? These new GM V8 trucks are using 0W-20 now and I don't see any recommendation to use a heavier oil when towing.
The fifth wheel was 7800# empty so I am guessing in the 8500# to 9000# range when fully loaded (I never weighed it loaded). Ford had no "alternative" oil selection for towing either and I am certain that if xW-20 was a problem I would have seen it first hand pulling a load like that in 117F heat.

I even went so far as to switch from 5W-20 at 100K to 0W-20 for the next 60K while extending the OCIs out to 15K with no issues whatsoever! The part I always thought was a funny was that I would have more wear metals in the UOAs towing in -15F than I would in 117F. What many fail to remember is that Ford went out of their way to torture test xW-20 and that testing was also to back spec it for older engines. I will continue to stand by my statement that the fears surrounding xW-20 are unfounded in engines that are specified to use it.

Well after googling an researching I think I figured out the oil you refer to "MS5K"
is standard Mobil Super 5/20 Conventional oil.

What does the "PU" stand for? Pennzoil Ultra?

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Well after googling an researching I think I figured out the oil you refer to "MS5K"
is standard Mobil Super 5/20 Conventional oil.

What does the "PU" stand for? Pennzoil Ultra?

Yes.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Well after googling an researching I think I figured out the oil you refer to "MS5K" is standard Mobil Super 5/20 Conventional oil. What does the "PU" stand for? Pennzoil Ultra?
Yes; scroll to the bottom of the sheet and you will see a legend for all of the abbreviations.

When Mobil guarantees the Mobil Super 5000 for 5,000 miles, it's not marketing. I would think that the Mobil Super has some cushion in it to go over 5000, and I think the OP got every dollars worth. I watched the video about the MS5K oil where Mobil did 25,000 mile OCI's for 100,000 miles, and the results were impressive. Mobil Super™ severe service tests.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
When Mobil guarantees the Mobil Super 5000 for 5,000 miles, it's not marketing. I would think that the Mobil Super has some cushion in it to go over 5000, and I think the OP got every dollars worth. I watched the video about the MS5K oil where Mobil did 25,000 mile OCI's for 100,000 miles, and the results were impressive. Mobil Super™ severe service tests.

I'll consider that as "lab testing" which does not equal real world use. Running an engine nonstop for 100k miles while doing 25k intervals isn't severe use, regardless if there's an incline and simulated load, etc.

Why can't they post results from real world tests. It sure wouldn't be hard to find a pizza delivery guy, give him a FREE old beater with 200k on the clock and have him abuse the car on a daily basis (typical stop n go, engine on / off constantly, etc, etc) all while doing 25k intervals using the conventional Mobil Super 5k for 100k and THEN lets see before / after engine pics of how it looked like before the test began and afterward (notice how I'm confident that the engine will actually function up towards 300k miles because pretty much any modern engine will easily do 300k+ these days).

These lab tests are always boring to me. Any new engine will last 100k miles of abuse while under warranty. It's the next 100-200k that matters most (when out of warranty coverage and parts actually start to wear out.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back