2010 FX4 | M1 AFE 0W-20 | 15,109 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: webfors
Love the trending. Proper use of UOA's IMO.

Agreed
thumbsup2.gif

Im not sure your iron is from winter and towing. It could also be the FU. Maybe the FU ADBV wasn't fully working or maybe it was too restrictive.

I'd test the same OCI with the previous filter model.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Im not sure your iron is from winter and towing. It could also be the FU. Maybe the FU ADBV wasn't fully working or maybe it was too restrictive. I'd test the same OCI with the previous filter model.

I am going to assume that you are joking...

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Your investments are much appreciated by me- they have helped me learn and extend my own oci's beyond the 3k/3mo regimen.

Same here.....your UOA on M-1 0w20 AFE, gives me further confidence in this GREAT oil that I've been using in my little ol' 03' Ford Focus (2.3L) for a few years now. I don't do UOA's, and my last OCI was at 9200 miles. I now plan on extending my next OCI out another 800 miles to 10K, which I think is conservative (but I'm sure it could go further). To reach 10K will take me between 12-16. months.

Thanks again FX 4 and tig....for helping me to choose this superior oil. my vehicle seems to love it.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Im not sure your iron is from winter and towing. It could also be the FU. Maybe the FU ADBV wasn't fully working or maybe it was too restrictive. I'd test the same OCI with the previous filter model.

I am not. Your 2 guesses are as good as any but they weren't the only variable. If you really want to know then you should consider all options. It isn't like the iron was dangerously high or anything.

Your insolubles did go up with the FU compared to the previous 2 MCs.

Last edited:

I am not. Your 2 guesses are as good as any but they weren't the only variable. If you really want to know then you should consider all options. It isn't like the iron was dangerously high or anything. Your insolubles did go up with the FU compared to the previous 2 MCs.

You probably should be. I have already tested the same OCI with at different filter, but with different operating conditions. Point of fact is, I can show increased iron on each UOA that involved towing--with 20 UOAs it is very easy to do. The ADBV was working just fine because Ford Modular engines are highly prone to start-up rattle when an ADBV does not and my engine experienced none of that. As for the insolubles, there were higher readings with MC filters than with the FU. You are correct that my thoughts are not the only variables, but with the trending history that I have, they are pretty close to the mark.

You probably should be. I have already tested the same OCI with at different filter, but with different operating conditions. Point of fact is, I can show increased iron on each UOA that involved towing--with 20 UOAs it is very easy to do. The ADBV was working just fine because Ford Modular engines are highly prone to start-up rattle when an ADBV does not and my engine experienced none of that. As for the insolubles, there were higher readings with MC filters than with the FU. You are correct that my thoughts are not the only variables, but with the trending history that I have, they are pretty close to the mark.

With what you posted in this thread, the insolubles of the FU was 0.2 and the MC was 0.1. I read that as higher with FU than MC. Did I misinterpret something?

And that is fine you have towing history to back that up but it makes no sense to comment about the cold if you "know" it was the towing that caused it. Engine sound isn't the only indication of proper ADBV operation.

Last edited:
15K easily on the M1 AFE good job!

I think I have one more oil change left to go before I start doing yearly (~10K intervals) with M1 AFE. Looks like I won't have to think twice if I go up to 11 or 12. I do a decent bit of highway driving (140 mile round trip every other week) so that will keep the oil in good shape.

For warranty, I'll have to change around November/December (50K miles), then in may, I'll be at 55K miles and will only have 5K remaining in warranty.

With what you posted in this thread, the insolubles of the FU was 0.2 and the MC was 0.1. I read that as higher with FU than MC. Did I misinterpret something?

If you look back at the insolubles with MC filters, you will find that most of them are 0.2 or higher--even with Pennzoil Ultra. In fact, in 20 UOAs, (18 of which are with a MC filter) only 4 of the 18 had a reading of less than 0.2. The remaining 14 were all 0.2, 0.3, and 0.4 (not all are in this post, but I can certainly post the 10 early ones). So I am not following your thoughts when you say that the Fram filter had higher insolubles than the MC filters do. If you mean on this particular run of M1, then I agree that yes, it was 0.1 points higher, but overall the MC filters have higher insoluble readings--even on some runs which were 50% shorter.

And that is fine you have towing history to back that up but it makes no sense to comment about the cold if you "know" it was the towing that caused it.

The comment about cold and towing and iron has to do with the fact each time I towed in the cold, the iron levels were higher than towing in the heat--consistently and even with MC filters. I have towed in Colorado every winter and in Texas, Nevada, and Wyoming every summer. Although not a controlled test of any sort, the iron readings support what I am saying.

Engine sound isn't the only indication of proper ADBV operation.

Based upon what you are saying about the ADBV, am I to assume the MC filters were malfunctioning as well because the iron/insoluble levels were higher on some runs? I am not being sarcastic here, I am attempting to follow the logic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: dave1251
What do you do reset the OLM twice to then change the oil?

I did reset it twice, but I use the Trip "B" to keep track of the mileage between OCs.

Thank you. This is what I am currently doing with my run of PU.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Whats your ratio of city/hwy mileage? Surprised to see less than 0.5% fuel dilution after 15K, must be mostly hwy?

70/30 would be a fair assessment (highway/city); although I work in the city my commute is 25+ miles one-way so there is plenty of time for the oil to heat up and burn off any residual fuel.

What does everyone see as the limit for both AFE and FU in my situation? 18K? 20K?

IMO you could do 20k. I saw the pics of the cut open Ultra in your other thread and it looked stellar. Looking forward to your results with the EP, I just switched our Toyota's to EP 0W20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back