2010 FX4 | Amsoil SVO | 75W-140 | 79,689 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

Below is a link to the third UOA on my FX4's rear axle. The only thing that stands out for me is that I could have gone longer with the OCI. I decided to change it because the oil was really dark when I pulled the sample, but as you can see, it was fine. The VOA for SVO has a TAN of 3.1 and this was 4.3, so I could have probably gone to 6.5 or so on the TAN before changing. SVO was re-installed and I will sample at 80K, but not change it unless the UOA at that point indicates otherwise.

Blackstone's comments below:

This sample looks pretty good. It's the best yet for this differential, and that's great, especially since this is the longest oil run to-date. We're seeing some nice, low readings at iron, nickel, and titanium, and no moisture or excessive solids turned up. The TAN read 4.3, which is fine. A longer interval should be okay for next time, but a sample at about 80,000 miles wouldn't hurt, just to make sure things are staying steady. Seems fine from here!

Enjoy!

All 2010 FX4 UOAs

If you reinstaaalled it, are you sure it was kept clean during the removal nd replace process? Have you cleaned the diff case and rinsed/dryed it before draining it?

Originally Posted By: Pontual
If you reinstaaalled it, are you sure it was kept clean during the removal nd replace process? Have you cleaned the diff case and rinsed/dryed it before draining it?
I have a Mag-Hytec cover that has a drain plug so that is not a problem, but I should have said that I changed the oil and replaced with new SVO to make it clearer.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Excellent UOA. I would expect nothing less from severe gear. Probably the best gear lube money can buy.

^^That's what I'm thinking too.

Nice results!
thumbsup2.gif

Always appreciate your well-presented data!

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Amsoil gear oil, with your driving style, is a 100k fluid... especially with maghytec cover
Likely; but with the towing that I do I wanted to be sure of that. I will still test at 80K on this run and will extend from there.

So you have about 25,000 miles on this run of SVO?

Still a good showing as this lube is cleaning out (dispersing) the
gunk from the factory fill.

Differentials are the most neglected component for most owners.

I think by monitoring and replacement you're maintaining a healthy diffy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
So you have about 25,000 miles on this run of SVO? Still a good showing as this lube is cleaning out (dispersing) the gunk from the factory fill. Differentials are the most neglected component for most owners. I think by monitoring and replacement you're maintaining a healthy diffy.
No; it is 79,689 miles on this run (149,289 total miles on the truck). This the third OC. I agree, most times the differential is "out of sight and out of mind" in a literal way. IMHO Amsoil makes the best gear oil, although I do wonder how M1 would perform.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
So you have about 25,000 miles on this run of SVO? Still a good showing as this lube is cleaning out (dispersing) the gunk from the factory fill. Differentials are the most neglected component for most owners. I think by monitoring and replacement you're maintaining a healthy diffy.
No; it is 79,689 miles on this run (149,289 total miles on the truck). This the third OC. I agree, most times the differential is "out of sight and out of mind" in a literal way. IMHO Amsoil makes the best gear oil, although I do wonder how M1 would perform.

1) excellent UOA. I think you'll find 100k miles is a no-brainer, and could probably go further.

2) as much as folks tend to be anal about the engine OCIs, many end up neglecting the diffs, p/s and xfer cases often ... a phenomenon I cannot explain. This is not your m.o., but it does plague others.

3) you've finally got that truck broke in at 150k! Now you can hammer on it a bit harder. You'll probably wear it out in another 500k
grin.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back