2009 Toyota Tacoma SR5, 11 year review.

Bought it in 2011 with 23k miles on the odometer. 2.7L 4 cylinder, RWD, automatic.
Got it from Copart, with front+rear minor damage. It was hit from behind and pushed into the car upfront, in slow bumper-to-bumper traffic. But, despite no frame damage, it was still totaled at the time, as combined shop repair bill came out to ~70% of trucks market value at the time. And insurance adjuster did his best to push it over the 75% threshold to avoid fixing it. We ended up fixing it for In 11 years and 52k miles (aside from tires/oil/atf) we only had to replace 2 failures: A/C Compressor at ~65k miles, and factory installed Toyota Battery after almost 13 years of service, at 74k miles.
Started up every time, never gave any other issues. Slow, but steady and dependable. Got nothing but good memories from all the work that it's done. Once loaded - it cruised like a Cadillac, while empty it rode like a truck. It was my father's daily driver, and he loved it the whole time he owned it. Still loves it.
But now it's been sold... 13 year old mini-truck with 75k on the odometer. 11 years and 52k miles of which are done by us.
Replaced it with a 2011 Toyota Tundra Double cab, RWD, 4.6L. Perfect for my father's needs from a truck, and a very smooth daily driver for sure.
But back to the Hero of this thread - the mighty and boringly reliable 2009 Toyota Tacoma. I'll post some pics below in a few mins.

- Oil changed yearly, mostly with whatever 0W20/5W20 was laying around from the sale stash.
- ATF Drain & Fill done with MaxLife ATF @30k/50k and Toyota T-IV @70k. ~4qts at a time.
- Original tires started to dry-rot early on. And original wheels were extremely skinny and too far inside the wheel wells. (15x6) So for one of dad's birthdays I got him the Pro Comp Steel Wheels Series 51 from the picture. (15x8) Definitely gave Tacoma a Pitbull stance, and dad absolutely loved it. I do admit going a little too far on the offset... It did cause some suspension geometry quirks, but nothing bad.

Last edited:
IMG_2684.jpg
IMG_2685.jpg
IMG_2683.jpg
IMG_2682.jpg
IMG_2687.jpg
IMG_2686.jpg

I bought a 2006 Tacoma to Replace the totaled 1992 Toyota truck with the 3 liter engine[ both 4X4 extra cabs.. I love the 2.7 engine ! The 2.7 is much nicer that the 3. I gave the truck to my son in 2013 when he went to college and my son still loves the truck.

I would never cut that truck loose. At least keep it in the family or friends...
That would've been ideal, IMO. (Not gonna lie, I was actually looking forward to owning it one day...) But dad has been daydreaming about a Tundra for last couple years, so when one came up in our price range - had to make a decision to sell the Tacoma quick. None of the family stepped up to buy it in time, so sold it to a brother in Christ who had funds ready. My dad is a pastor, and guy who bought it is a missionary. Both are very happy with the outcome and both consider it a blessing.

Bought it in 2011 with 23k miles on the odometer. 2.7L 4 cylinder, RWD, automatic.
Got it from Copart, with front+rear minor damage. It was hit from behind and pushed into the car upfront, in slow bumper-to-bumper traffic. But, despite no frame damage, it was still totaled at the time, as combined shop repair bill came out to ~70% of trucks market value at the time. And insurance adjuster did his best to push it over the 75% threshold to avoid fixing it. We ended up fixing it for In 11 years and 52k miles (aside from tires/oil/atf) we only had to replace 2 failures: A/C Compressor at ~65k miles, and factory installed Toyota Battery after almost 13 years of service, at 74k miles.
Started up every time, never gave any other issues. Slow, but steady and dependable. Got nothing but good memories from all the work that it's done. Once loaded - it cruised like a Cadillac, while empty it rode like a truck. It was my father's daily driver, and he loved it the whole time he owned it. Still loves it.
But now it's been sold... 13 year old mini-truck with 75k on the odometer. 11 years and 52k miles of which are done by us.
Replaced it with a 2011 Toyota Tundra Double cab, RWD, 4.6L. Perfect for my father's needs from a truck, and a very smooth daily driver for sure.
But back to the Hero of this thread - the mighty and boringly reliable 2009 Toyota Tacoma. I'll post some pics below in a few mins.

- Oil changed yearly, mostly with whatever 0W20/5W20 was laying around from the sale stash.
- ATF Drain & Fill done with MaxLife ATF @30k/50k and Toyota T-IV @70k. ~4qts at a time.
- Original tires started to dry-rot early on. And original wheels were extremely skinny and too far inside the wheel wells. (15x6) So for one of dad's birthdays I got him the Pro Comp Steel Wheels Series 51 from the picture. (15x8) Definitely gave Tacoma a Pitbull stance, and dad absolutely loved it. I do admit going a little too far on the offset... It did cause some suspension geometry quirks, but nothing bad.
I have a bone stock, base model 2006 Tacoma, 2.7L, RWD. It has the steel 15x6 wheels. I really think this tire/wheel combo in your photos made a huge difference in looks, for probably not too much money.
My concern is you said the offset made some "quirks".
I am not familiar with buying aftermarket wheels. What was the offset you purchased? If you had it to do over again, what would you get? I would like to improve the looks a little bit (without breaking the bank) but would like to avoid any "quirks".

I have a bone stock, base model 2006 Tacoma, 2.7L, RWD. It has the steel 15x6 wheels. I really think this tire/wheel combo in your photos made a huge difference in looks, for probably not too much money.
My concern is you said the offset made some "quirks".
I am not familiar with buying aftermarket wheels. What was the offset you purchased? If you had it to do over again, what would you get? I would like to improve the looks a little bit (without breaking the bank) but would like to avoid any "quirks".
The quirks were a constant pull to one side, can't remember now if it was left or right. We even replaced all control arms and ball joints, but nothing changed. The pull went away as soon as more narrow wheels went on.

I would certainly do it again, but with the next-down option on the offset or backspace. Sorry everyone if I'm using these terms wrong, but basically I'd go with a wheel that doesn't poke as much. At least for the front. Rear was fine with those wheels. The wheels are Pro Comp 51 series, 15x8. Basically 15x8 are a little too wide for that front suspension geometry. I'd try 15x7, or 15x8, but more sunken in.

Last edited:
Back