2009 Subaru Forester X, 2.5L, 110K, Bulk 5w-30, 0.75qt GC, 5200 miles

Hello, It's been a while
smile.gif

2009 Subaru Forester X, base 2.5L H engine
Bulk 5w-30, whatever filter
Added 0.75GC 0w-30 at around 4K to top it off. Yes GC. I wish I could find more of this product, it's my last quart.

Bought this vehicle from my dad last July with 89K on it. This is the first sample taken on this vehicle.

I'm happy to see 5K is easily achievable in this engine. And also happy to see there's no worries of coolant in the engine either.

11.gif

Code

OIL Bulk 5W30, 0.75qt GC

MILES IN USE 5200

MILES 110,160

SAMPLE TAKEN April 17, 2020

ALUMINUM 2

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 5

COPPER 1

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 41

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 1

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 42

SILICON 12

SODIUM 3

CALCIUM 1523

MAGNESIUM 421

PHOSPHORUS 763

ZINC 844

BARIUM 0

SUS VIS 210F 61.1

cSt @ 100C 10.52

FLASHPOINT F N/A

FUEL DILUTION%
ANTIFREEZE% 0.0

WATER 0.0

INSOLUBLES 0.1

TBN 2.9

Happy to see 5k is achievable? Right in the OM it says change oil at 7.5k, and that was recommended on conventional back in 2009. Non-turbo Subies are very easy on oil. Pick any name-brand API SN 5W30, change it every 7.5k, and don't bother with any more UOAs.
Because if the head gaskets don't leak, the only thing stopping you from seeing the far side of 250k engine-wise is not doing the timing belt every 105k and having it snap.

Did you replace the belt and pulleys since you bought it at 89k and are now at 110k?

BTW, especially with your nonchalance about oil and filtration (bulk oil and whatever filter), save any GC for a vehicle you actually care about. The N/A EJ25 does not need nor benefit from a super-fancy oil.

^ What SubieRubyRoo said! I've seen N/A EJ uoa's here with 8-9k on conventional and 11-12k on synthetic.

That wasn't the original Gold GC, was it?

19.gif

Originally Posted by bluesubie

I meant Green GC!

Gotta love the EJ 2.5, look at that viscosity retention. Not even a hint of shearing. Best engine Subaru ever made.

I meant Green GC!

It was indeed the coveted green Castrol. Oh the memories
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Happy to see 5k is achievable? Right in the OM it says change oil at 7.5k, and that was recommended on conventional back in 2009. Non-turbo Subies are very easy on oil. Pick any name-brand API SN 5W30, change it every 7.5k, and don't bother with any more UOAs.
Because if the head gaskets don't leak, the only thing stopping you from seeing the far side of 250k engine-wise is not doing the timing belt every 105k and having it snap.

Did you replace the belt and pulleys since you bought it at 89k and are now at 110k?

BTW, especially with your nonchalance about oil and filtration (bulk oil and whatever filter), save any GC for a vehicle you actually care about. The N/A EJ25 does not need nor benefit from a super-fancy oil.

I'm learning about Sub's quickly. No I didn't get that maintenance done. I will book it. Thank you for making me aware of it!

I was under the impression the head gaskets were prone to leaking given the H engine design. Yeah they have specific coolant to use for this application but I wanted numbers to show me, to put my mind at ease, that wasn't the problem.

There is a slight coolant leak somewhere, no one can find it. I say slight because the coolant reservoir barely goes down at all. You can smell it once the engine is warm though.

I use bulk oil since the local garage has a good special on GOF & tire rotations. I have serviced my vehicles there for years. I was going to get an M1 filter and run a batch of 5w-30 M1 EP that I have but never made it to the store for the filter.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Gotta love the EJ 2.5, look at that viscosity retention. Not even a hint of shearing. Best engine Subaru ever made.

Oh yes! I was surprised. It's good to see the car I now I have isn't a worry when it comes to lubrication.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Looks pretty good and with bulk oil no less. What kind of oil consumption are you experiencing with your Subie?

Very minimal if any. Thing is, I live where there isn't any level ground, so I'm always checking it at the gas station, but the engine is never cooled down there for an accurate reading.

The "slight coolant leak" is external (for now) most likely. If it is, you should be able to find some coolant along the lower edges of the heads; if you don't find it here it's likely not the problem. It's also why you need to use Subaru Coolant Conditioner (which is really just relabeled Holt's Radweld) when you change the coolant, every time. This helps keep those little weeps down, and yes, while not a fix, I've never had an EJ lose the HGs and have used SCC as recommended every time. Being a 2009, your car should have the revised, MLS HG, and should not have the same kinds of worries as the turn of the century EJ25s. If you have a coolant smell, I'd be checking the heater core and all the heater hose and radiator hose connections.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Check your valves lash at the same time. Commonly neglected and will catch up to you somewhere around 200k.

Back