2009 Pontiac Vibe GT part identification

I'm trying to locate an idler pulley for my car, but I can't find one anywhere. All I can find is the pulley that goes on the tensioner. What's more, I have no idea how to remove this one because of its strange design. Here's the closest (still wrong) diagram of my engine I could find. My water pump is where the power steering pump is labeled (mine has electronic power steering), and my idler pulley is where the water pump is labeled.
1626235486217.jpg
It's difficult to get a good picture, so I hope this is worth at least a hundred words. It has no hex bolt or anything to grab in the center, but it is surrounded by four bolts. It needs to be replaced, but I'm stumped.
1626235870601.jpg

Are you sure that isn't the water pump pulley? Water pumps usually have 4 bolts, and your picture kinda matches the diagram you posted, and others online. Maybe try cross referencing to 2009 Toyota Matrix, 2009 Scion xB, 2009 Toyota Camry? Since they all share the same drivetrain?

EDIT: This VIDEO confirms that the 4-bolt pulley is water pump, judging by those dried up Toyota pink coolant traces where the water pump is bolted into the block.

Last edited:
Are you sure that isn't the water pump pulley? Water pumps usually have 4 bolts, and your picture kinda matches the diagram you posted, and others online. Maybe try cross referencing to 2009 Toyota Matrix, 2009 Scion xB, 2009 Toyota Camry? Since they all share the same drivetrain?
No, that's the weird thing. My guess is that's where the water pump would be if the car had a power steering pump, but it doesn't. All the 2.4 Toyota engines I've seen match the diagram. I guess mine is an anomaly with electronic power steering. I'm sure it's just a idler pulley because it turns with no resistance and doesn't operate anything. Here is my layout:
1626238289501.jpg

No, that's the weird thing. My guess is that's where the water pump would be if the car had a power steering pump, but it doesn't. All the 2.4 Toyota engines I've seen match the diagram. I guess mine is an anomaly with electronic power steering. I'm sure it's just a idler pulley because it turns with no resistance and doesn't operate anything. Here is my layout:
View attachment 63422
Check the video I posted a link to above.

Check the video I posted a link to above.

I've seen this. I just can't find a replacement or even an identification for the part. I guess it's a dummy water pump pulley. I'll look for that and see if I can find a match. Any idea how to remove it?

Nevermind, I'm dumb. That is the water pump. It just looks bad because it has the original pulley cover on it. The pump itself was replaced 6 months ago along with the rebuild. I was also surprised at how easily it turned by hand, but I guess that's a good thing? Now I see the "power steering" pulley is clearly not connected to anything lol.

Last edited:
Nevermind, I'm dumb. That is the water pump. It just looks bad because it has the original pulley cover on it. The pump itself was replaced 6 months ago along with the rebuild. I was also surprised at how easily it turned by hand, but I guess that's a good thing? Now I see the "power steering" pulley is clearly not connected to anything lol.
Glad you got it figured out!

Back