2009 Kia Sedona - ball joints and tie-rod ends in the cold

Jr took his van (2009 Kia Sedona) to a trusted tire shop for a wheel alignment, was told that the ball joints and one outer tie-rod end were too worn to allow a proper alignment, and was quoted almost $1100 for the repair and alignment.

I bought genuine Kia parts (two ball joints and both outer tie-rod ends) from Rock Auto for about $140, and got the passenger side done on Saturday a week ago. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite fit the Kia into the garage, and so worked outside on what turned out to be the coldest day of the winter so far (-12°C - about 10°F). I had the heater running in the garage and took frequent breaks, but somehow managed to get frostbite on several of my fingers. My son finished up the work largely on his own the next afternoon, with me mostly acting as foreman to spare my hands.

My fingers hurt badly the first evening and grew huge disgusting blisters overnight which my wife encouraged me to keep intact. The blisters drained on their own after a few days, and most of the old skin has been shed, and I'm expecting to recover fully.

Takeaways:

1. I need to build a storage shed for our off-season stuff (summer bikes, lawn mower, and summer tires) so I get a long van into the garage in the winter.

2. When we bought the van in 2016, the lower control arms had been replaced to allow the van to pass its safety inspection. It turned out that the ball joints had stealth grease fittings which were well-hidden. Had I known, I would have greased them. As it was, the ball joints lasted 84,000 km. (The Kia parts I replaced them with don't have zerks.)

3. Though the tire shop said only one tie-rod end was sloppy (without specifying which one), we changed both of them. Glad we did - one was quite loose, and the other not far behind.

4. The van tracks fine, so we must have gotten the toe-in pretty close, but I'll check it with my newly-purchased Tenhulzen toe plates once I'm completely healed up.

20221120_095300.jpg

20221121_142256_HDR.jpg

20221125_132922_HDR.jpg

That's painful to see 😣
Could've got infected 😳
I'm all for DIY, but there's a point where you draw the line and pay a shop/defer the work
And I say this as someone who's nearly been crushed by an old G Body (Patient Zero for HF stands) and nearly blinded (Brake cleaner + contact lenses)

Stay in the warmth, let those heal
You won't be doing any wrenching if you don't take care of your hands 🖐️

That's painful to see 😣
Could've got infected 😳
I'm all for DIY, but there's a point where you draw the line and pay a shop/defer the work
And I say this as someone who's nearly been crushed by an old G Body (Patient Zero for HF stands) and nearly blinded (Brake cleaner + contact lenses)

Stay in the warmth, let those heal
You won't be doing any wrenching if you don't take care of your hands 🖐️
I know, my wife was very worried about the possibility of infection and kept me on the straight-and-narrow, making me keep the blisters intact until they shrank and dried up on their own.

I'll be way more respectful of the cold in the future!

I got brake fluid in my eyes almost 40 years ago - but fortunately wasn't wearing contacts. Sounds awful - glad you're OK!

You're a good man. One that makes for a great friend when someone's in need.

Get better soon.

Believe it or not there’s a you tube video for removing rings from swollen fingers. That looks painful. Hope you recover quickly.
Thank you! I was able to successfully remove the ring a week or so ago. I think I'll remove it before my next round of mechanical work.
You're a good man. One that makes for a great friend when someone's in need.

Get better soon.
Thanks so much! I've healed up well. With my wife's urging, I kept the blisters intact until they began to shrivel up and drain on their own. After that the outer layer of damaged skin dried up and peeled off. There was no infection, which was the big worry.

The new skin is a bit pinkish and more sensitive than before, but I don't really think about it anymore.

Fortunately this is why my wife understands I want silicone rings.

She doesn't care what it's made of, merely that it signals other women to stay away (she's very jealous).....which I find amusing because no other woman would have me or want me, ring or no ring!

Fortunately this is why my wife understands I want silicone rings.

She doesn't care what it's made of, merely that it signals other women to stay away (she's very jealous).....which I find amusing because no other woman would have me or want me, ring or no ring!
I don't think my wife is the jealous type, but I can certainly relate to the latter part of your statement. 😂

Back